This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
    How many times can we vote in each round?
    A maximum of once in each poll, in each round. There are 6 rounds, so that means 32 votes in Round 1, 16 votes in round 2, 8 in Round 3 and so on until we get just one vote each in the Final. If you stay with the Campaign and vote fully in every round, then your vote total will be 32+16+8+4+2+1, which is 63 votes if my mental arithmetic is correct.

I'm already starting to think about which two tanks might end up as the finalists but even before then I reckon rounds 2, 3, 4 and 5 will all be very interesting.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Progress Report

Hi everyone,

First up, I have to say I'm still very pleased indeed to see the level of enthusiasm and participation for this campaign. Come to think of it, "very pleased indeed" has become something of an understatement. I'm over the moon about it.
      As of about one hour before this post, we had 110 participating members who have between them cast over 2,700 votes across the 32 Round 1 polls. Participation rates varied from 71 to 97 votes per poll.

By this stage and with barely a week before Round 1 closure, I think it is possible to predict most outcomes with at least reasonable certainty. Only two of the polls are anywhere near what might be considered "close". They are:

• In Group 1, the French Saint Chamond (42 votes when I last looked) and the German A7V (45 votes). This three vote margin is small enough that a turn-around - though not highly likely - is still a fair possibility IMO.
      • The only other poll that could be described as anywhere near 'close' is in Group 4; the Chinese ZTZ 96 (37 votes at last look) and the Japanese Type 90 (45 votes). This is a more substantial, though not by any means completely comfortable margin. I see a small possibility of turn-around but I certainly wouldn't put my own money on it.

Aside from those two, the remaining 30 polls look to me to be just a matter of exact counts rather than final outcomes now, because the margins vary between "very comfortable" and "landslide" proportions.

I spent a good part of my morning today, checking through all the results and setting up the pairings for Round 2, which is scheduled to begin next weekend. I will announce these in a separate post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
      A final note and request to all participating members. (If you are 100 percent certain that you've already voted in all the polls you want to, please disregard this request):

There is no rule saying how many of the polls members have to vote in. Obviously, you can participate in as few or as many as you like. However, as you might guess I would naturally prefer as high a level of participation as reasonably possible from each member; consistent with what they feel comfortable with of course. The main reason is, I think the higher the level of participation the better because this will give us results that most faithfully and accurately represent the cross-section of participating members' opinions.

In connection with this, I have noticed a few members who have voted in all but a handful of the 32 Round 1 polls. This could be because they didn't want to vote in those remaining few but more likely, it's because they have overlooked them, so please:

If you think you have voted in all 32, or intended to but you are not sure what you have and have not done; if you don't have the time to check through all 32 polls you only have to ask me. I am recording progressive results daily, on an Excel spreadsheet and I have instant one-page visibility of all members' votes across all 32 polls. I'll soon be able to let you know if you've missed any.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards to all, and thanks for your enthusiastic participation.

panther3485
      Last edited by panther3485; 20 Jul 14, 02:46.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Pairings for Round 2

Here are the pairings I've lined up for Round 2:

Group 1 1916-1938

Poll #33 Tanks Mk I-V Britain vs Vickers 6-Ton Britain

Poll #34 TNH/LT-38 Czechoslovakia vs Christie Mediums 28/36/T3 USA

Poll #35 Renault FT-17 France vs Char 2C France

Poll #36 A7V Germany (or St Chamond France) vs BT-5/7 Soviet Union/Russia

Group 2 1939-1945

Poll #37 Churchill Britain vs Tiger tanks Germany

Poll #38 Cromwell & Comet Britain vs PzKpfw IV Germany

Poll #39 PzKpfw 38(t) Germany vs M4 Sherman USA

Poll #40 T-34 Soviet Union/Russia vs KV tanks Soviet Union/Russia

Group 3 1946-1979

Poll #41 Centurion Britain vs T-34-85 Soviet Union/Russia

Poll #42 Chieftain Britain vs T-72 Soviet Union/Russia

Poll #43 Leopard I Germany vs T-62 Soviet Union/Russia

Poll #44 T-64 Soviet Union/Russia vs M24 Chaffee USA

Group 4 1980 - present

Poll #45 Challenger 1/2 Britain vs M60A1/A3 USA

Poll #46 Leopard 2 Germany vs Merkava I/II/III/IV Israel

Poll #47 Type 90 Japan (or ZTZ 96 China) vs T-55 Russia

Poll #48 T-64 Russia vs M1A1/A2 Abrams USA

Bearing in mind the following:

Round 1 - 64 candidates in 4 separate groups as currently formatted. (4 wks)
        Round 2 - 32 candidates still separated into the same 4 groups
        (3 wks)
        Round 3 - 16 candidates, 2 groups (1 & 2 combined, 3 & 4 combined)
        (3 wks)
        Round 4 - (Quarter-final) 8 candidates, now in a single group
        (2 wks)
        Round 5 - (Semi-Final) 4 tanks
        (2 wks)
        Round 6 - (Final) 2 tanks
        (2 wks)

So after Round 2, there will only be two groups in Round 3 consisting of:
        • Group A 1916-1945 (The 8 winners from Groups 1 & 2 combined) and
        • Group B 1946-present (The 8 winners from Groups 3 & 4 combined)

... and from Round 4 (the Quarter-Final) onwards, the remaining candidates will be in a single group.

Last edited by panther3485; 20 Jul 14, 04:33.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post

Group 1 1916-1938

Poll #33 Tanks Mk I-V Britain vs Vickers 6-Ton Britain
          A bit of a no brainer really. The Mk1 was the first and therefore the most important and significant. Other tanks can only be improvements.

Poll #34 TNH/LT-38 Czechoslovakia vs Christie Mediums 28/36/T3 USA
          Just because of its suspension I'm going to give it to the Christie.

Poll #35 Renault FT-17 France vs Char 2C France
          Another no-brainer. Ft-17 all the way.
          Poll #36 A7V Germany (or St Chamond France) vs BT-5/7 Soviet Union/Russia
          BT-5/7 for being the parent of the T-34.

Group 2 1939-1945

Poll #37 Churchill Britain vs Tiger tanks Germany
          I think the Churchill was the best tank of WW2, but I believe the Tiger was more significant, so the cat probably gets my vote here. The exception may be that the Churchill was really the first mother of really specialized engineering afv's.

Poll #38 Cromwell & Comet Britain vs PzKpfw IV Germany
          Cromwells and Comets may have be better than the Panzer IV, but far less significant in both numbers and impact on WW2. The German kit wins again imho.

Poll #39 PzKpfw 38(t) Germany vs M4 Sherman USA
          I like the 38t and think it has been overlooked as a tank in WW2. It was instrumental in German victories 39-41. The M4 was instrumental in Allied victories 42-45. Therefore the M4 wins here, because it's one louder...er... 1 year greater service in WW2, plus being a useful bit of kit in Korea.
          Poll #40 T-34 Soviet Union/Russia vs KV tanks Soviet Union/Russia
          Another no brainer, with the T-34 coming tops. The T-34 should win this group.

Group 3 1946-1979

Poll #41 Centurion Britain vs T-34-85 Soviet Union/Russia
          Centurion should win the Group 3 vote.

Poll #42 Chieftain Britain vs T-72 Soviet Union/Russia
          If only the Chieftain had a decent engine. T-72 is therefore the winner, because it works.
          Poll #43 Leopard I Germany vs T-62 Soviet Union/Russia
          Can't decide yet.
          Poll #44 T-64 Soviet Union/Russia vs M24 Chaffee USA
          The Chaffee is one of my favourite tanks, but its significance is next to nothing. T-64 wins here.

Group 4 1980 - present

Poll #45 Challenger 1/2 Britain vs M60A1/A3 USA
          The Challengers are better but the M60 has been around longer. Can't decide yet.
          Poll #46 Leopard 2 Germany vs Merkava I/II/III/IV Israel
          The Merkava is tried and tested. It's probably the better tank, but the Leo 2 sales figures probably mean its more significant.
          Poll #47 Type 90 Japan (or ZTZ 96 China) vs T-55 Russia
          T-55 based on numbers alone

Poll #48 T-64 Russia vs M1A1/A2 Abrams USA
          Abrams should win group 4 imho. Its both totally proven, unlike the Leopard 2, and the first of the latest generation of tanks.
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

A bit of a no brainer really. The Mk1 was the first and therefore the most important and significant. Other tanks can only be improvements.

Just because of its suspension I'm going to give it to the Christie.

Another no-brainer. Ft-17 all the way.

BT-5/7 for being the parent of the T-34.

I think the Churchill was the best tank of WW2, but I believe the Tiger was more significant, so the cat probably gets my vote here. The exception may be that the Churchill was really the first mother of really specialized engineering afv's.

Cromwells and Comets may have be better than the Panzer IV, but far less significant in both numbers and impact on WW2. The German kit wins again imho.

I like the 38t and think it has been overlooked as a tank in WW2. It was instrumental in German victories 39-41. The M4 was instrumental in Allied victories 42-45. Therefore the M4 wins here, because it's one louder...er... 1 year greater service in WW2, plus being a useful bit of kit in Korea.

Another no brainer, with the T-34 coming tops. The T-34 should win this group.

Centurion should win the Group 3 vote.

If only the Chieftain had a decent engine. T-72 is therefore the winner, because it works.

Can't decide yet.

The Chaffee is one of my favourite tanks, but its significance is next to nothing. T-64 wins here.

The Challengers are better but the M60 has been around longer. Can't decide yet.

The Merkava is tried and tested. It's probably the better tank, but the Leo 2 sales figures probably mean its more significant.

T-55 based on numbers alone

Abrams should win group 4 imho. Its both totally proven, unlike the Leopard 2, and the first of the latest generation of tanks.
            Thanks for the run-up, Nick.

You do realize that you don't have to vote in Round 2 just yet?

... but I can't argue with your enthusiasm.

Comment

By this stage and with barely a week before Round 1 closure, I think it is possible to predict most outcomes with at least reasonable certainty.
              But a lot of these are wrong.

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
                But a lot of these are wrong.

Nice work!
                Thanks.

Can't say I agree with all of the outcomes either; but we gets what we gets. Consensus can be a beautiful thing, when it comes together.

Comment

Thanks for the run-up, Nick.

You do realize that you don't have to vote in Round 2 just yet?

... but I can't argue with your enthusiasm.
                  My pleasure .

The only issue I have with this poll is that the French FT-17, the Father of all modern tanks, is one I cannot vote for to win this poll. It was superb for a WW1 tank, but the fact remains it is generally overlooked. Perhaps due to its continued use in WW2.

My opinion is simply due to the fact that while it was a significant improvement upon the British design, it did not have the impact of the first tanks on the battlefield.
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

My pleasure .

The only issue I have with this poll is that the French FT-17, the Father of all modern tanks, is one I cannot vote for to win this poll. It was superb for a WW1 tank, but the fact remains it is generally overlooked. Perhaps due to its continued use in WW2.

My opinion is simply due to the fact that while it was a significant improvement upon the British design, it did not have the impact of the first tanks on the battlefield.
                    Is your issue really with this poll; or is it with the opinions of some of the other members who look as if they might want to put the FT-17 in top spot?

As for its impact on the battlefield, in itself during WW1 alone I might very well be persuaded to agree. However, if one chose to look at this a certain way one might argue that its real impact and significance was to pioneer the basic layout of almost all successful future tanks whose collective impact has been - I think we would have to agree - very significant indeed.
                    Last edited by panther3485; 21 Jul 14, 04:32.

Comment

Is your issue really with this poll; or is it with the opinions of some of the other members who look as if they might want to put the FT-17 in top spot?

As for its impact on the battlefield, in itself during WW1 alone I might be persuaded to agree. However, if one chose to look at this a certain way one might argue that its real impact and significance was to pioneer the basic layout of almost all successful future tanks whose collective impact has been - I think we would have to agree - very significant indeed.
                      The MkI is the most significant because it was the first. The FT-17 was the next most significant tank of all time, due to its design and crew layout.

Imho (in descending order) the 4 tanks that should head this poll are the Mk1, FT-17, T-34 and M1 Abrams, as each represents a massive contribution to tank design, tank philosophy or sheer impact. However, two of my top 4 are in one category, hence my issue with the poll, which is not really a problem, since I can now vote Centurion for the group 3 stage. I like the Centurion, and believe it is probably the best tank of all time to date, but in the context of this poll, I would rate it no 5 .

Comment

The MkI is the most significant because it was the first. The FT-17 was the next most significant tank of all time, due to its design and crew layout.

Imho (in descending order) the 4 tanks that should head this poll are the Mk1, FT-17, T-34 and M1 Abrams, as each represents a massive contribution to tank design, tank philosophy or sheer impact. However, two of my top 4 are in one category, hence my issue with the poll, which is not really a problem, since I can now vote Centurion for the group 3 stage. I like the Centurion, and believe it is probably the best tank of all time to date, but in the context of this poll, I would rate it no 5 .
                        I see your point, but given the poll structure and approach I couldn't really have the British Mks I-V and the French FT-17 in separate groups; and even if I did, they wouldn't stay separate for long because the 4 groups will soon be amalgamated; first into two and then into one. And only one tank can come out on top by the end of this campaign. Anyone making book on which one that'll be?

That said, I guess we can still consider which was the most significant/influential tank (and therefore the "winner") for each group which obviously brings us back to your conundrum and we've just gone around in a circle.

Comment

Spoiler Alert!!!!

... and from Round 4 (the Quarter-Final) onwards, the remaining candidates will be in a single group.

You're giving the game away man!
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

If you haven't voted in Round 1 yet

You are almost out of time!

The polls for Round 1 will start closing early on the 26 July EDST.
                            Last edited by panther3485; 26 Jul 14, 10:06.

Comment

Round 1 now closed, Round 2 open.

Thanks Gary.

Guys, Round 1 is now closed.

I hereby declare:
                              Round 2
                              OPEN!
                              If you missed Round 1, it's not too late!
                              You can still participate!
                              Just make sure to vote in all 5 remaining rounds, including this one.
                              (Rounds 2 - 6)
                              Vote, discuss if you want; but above all: Enjoy!

Last edited by panther3485; 26 Jul 14, 10:16.

Comment

And for you early birds, don't forget to check page 2 of this section.
                                Once some new comments are posted they will all move to the top of the list.

Enjoy!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X