Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp 4 - ZTZ 96 (China) vs Type 90 (Japan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The Chinese tank, however, has not been tested against current Western designs on any battlefield.
    I would add that bulk of Iraqi tank-fleet was mostly Chinese derivatives and knockoffs of T-54 based tank lineage.
    When China obtained T-72 samples in late '80s, they discovered that it's gun could easily defeat the armor of their most "modern" tanks. That was further exacerbated when Western tanks decimated with ease Chinese tank fleet operated by Iraq.

That was the motivation behind series of different models being made in last 20 years.
    It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
    Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

I haven't voted yet but when I do, I'll probably go for the ZTZ 96. Not only because of the quantity manufactured (already much more than Type 90) but also because this tank has been exported to a number of countries and there might very easily be more sales to come. As such, this Chinese tank has already been considerably more influential than the Japanese Type 90 which has been confined to the home islands, isn't going anywhere and is virtually certain not to be sold anywhere else. For all intents and purposes outside of Japan, it might as well not exist.

That's how I see the influence part of the formula.

As for singificance, I would also give the edge to the Chinese tank. The Japanese tank is never likely to be engaged in any combat; the doors are still well and truly open for the ZTZ 96 and they seem sure to remain open for years yet. It also represents a large forward step by a country that formerly relied upon designs that were really little more than near-copies of somebody elses. This cannot be said about the newer Chinese tanks and IMO, this breaking of relatively new ground - producing tanks that are more "home grown" than knock-offs - by a very major military power has greater significance than anything the Japanese do in their microcosm, with any of their tanks.
      IMO, a new trend has now been very much set: and we can expect even more from the Chinese in the future.

Is the Japanese Type 90 a good tank? It's an excellent MBT if what I've read is anything to go by. But that's not really what this poll is about.

Last edited by panther3485; 02 Jul 14, 00:44.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

The type 90 is a better tank. But the 96 still win's
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
          The type 90 is a better tank. But the 96 still win's
          Exactly, andrewza.

The Japanese Type 90 might be technically the better tank; but that's not primarily what this whole thing is about. First and foremost, it's about significance and influence. Of course, the technical quality of a tank can contribute (in widely varying degrees) to its significance and/or influence IF it gets the opportunity; and that's another point that tends to fall in favour of the Chinese ZTZ 96 which is far more likely to be in the position to exert some influence.

I shall now cast my vote accordingly. About time I got into the campaign myself.
          Last edited by panther3485; 05 Jul 14, 02:17.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

The Type 90, purely because it gave the Japanese a MBT that was competitive. Big jump from the Type 74.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

I must admit, I know nothing about these two vehicles. That Japanese tank looks nothing like Japanese designs, and reminds me of what a German model should look like. I'll reserve my vote till I look more into them.
              "In the absence of orders...find something and kill it!" Lt. General Erwin Rommel, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by smallvillekalel View Post
                I must admit, I know nothing about these two vehicles. That Japanese tank looks nothing like Japanese designs, and reminds me of what a German model should look like. I'll reserve my vote till I look more into them.
                Plenty of time, David. We still have a good 2 weeks left before Round 1 closes.

Comment

Type 90 (Japan)

Comment

The ZTZ-96 like someone spliced an M1 turret to a T-55 hull. The Type 90 looks like Japan copied a Leopard 2.

Comment

I went with the Japanese one but can't remember why...I guess I forgot to post anything when I voted. I came here thinking I hadn't voted on it yet because it didn't show I was subscribed...because I didn't post.

Rough life.
                      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Voted for Japanese Type 90.

I like the Armor the look and i believe Japanese must be having good tech know how from USA for this project,

For me the deciding factor was excellent Rheinmetall 120 mm smooth bore gun.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X