Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp 3 - AMX-30/40 (France) vs Leopard 1 (Germany)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 1 Grp 3 - AMX-30/40 (France) vs Leopard 1 (Germany)

Round 1, Group 3: AMX-30/40 (France) vs Leopard 1 (Germany)

The French AMX-30 and the German Leopard 1 were built to a very similar basic formula which is not at all surprising since initially, the two countries were collaborating to develop a common design that would be used by both. Like a number of such ideas during the 1960s and 70s the collaboration did not bear combined fruit and each nation ended up developing its own new tank.

These tanks were both based on the idea that optimizing armament and mobility were the highest priorities, at a time when many designers thought it was impractical to carry enough armour to defeat the latest anti-tank weapons. Speed, agility and good hitting power were therefore being relied upon to a considerable extent.

Both the AMX-30 and the Leopard 1, in one form or another, earned their countries some export income; Leopard 1 rather more so. Additionally in the French case, special versions intended for export - such as the AMX-32 and even the rather more developed (and quite different looking) AMX-40 - attracted relatively little buyer interest.

These matters aside, a look at the specifications - and indeed, even the appearance of the first models of AMX-30 and Leopard 1 - shows just how alike they were in a number of ways. These tanks were nationally distinctive but essentially very similar answers to the same need.

Which of those two 1960s creations will you vote for?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #36 - AMX-30/40 (France)

(Data for early AMX-30)
    Service Entry 1966
    Weight 36 metric tons
    Top Speed 65 km/h (40 mph)
    Main Armament 105mm gun
    No. Produced 3,571

For further info, try these wiki entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMX-30
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMX-40

AMX-40

Candidate #37 - Leopard 1 (Germany)

Service Entry 1965
    Weight 40-42 metric tons
    Top Speed 65 km/h (40 mph)
    Main Armament 105mm gun
    No. Produced 4,510

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_1
    http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product152.html

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

AMX-30/40 (France)
    11.11%
    Leopard 1 (Germany)
    88.89%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Skoblin; 27 Jun 14, 01:18.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

I don't like either tank. The light weight armor is a definite no go to me. I just thought the AMX-40 could be more effective.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The Leopard, hands down.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Well The Leopard I led to the Leopard II so my choice is elementary.
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Never liked the 'paper tiger'

Paul
          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
          All human ills he can subdue,
          Or with a bauble or medal
          Can win mans heart for you;
          And many a blessing know to stew
          To make a megloamaniac bright;
          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

The Leopard had a very successful commercial history, being the MBT of choice of nine (I think) NATO countries- and Australia. There had to be a reason.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Salesmen?

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                Salesmen?

Pruitt
                Very possibly, but did they have a better product to push anyway ?
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Ask the same question to all the NATO countries that bought the F-104 from Lockheed!

Pruitt

Comment

Did the Leopard 1 even see combat? The AMX-30 did.
                    The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

The French and the Germans were both proven wrong in the long run and they both went on to develop heavily armoured AFVs from there.
                      I suspect a Sov tank general would have been rather chuffed if he was up against a French or German defence rather than a British one in the 60s.
                      Neither of these tanks were any good,they were remarkably fast and they were well armed but they ain't faster than a 100/115/125 AP.

To be quite honest I'm unaware how much of the AMX30 design was put into the Leclerc but I do know that the Leopard1 was developed into the Leopard2 which put right all of the wrongs of the 1.

Leopard 1.

Comment

Both tank derived from a same project, with same specifications.

A really tough choice, but I will give Leopard I a slight edge since it have gave Germans a renewed indigenous tank industry, culminating in Leopard 2.
                        It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                        Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

I have to go with the Leopard. The Germans just have the edge when it comes to tank design. It's in their blood or something.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Believe the Amx cannot win.
                            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                              Believe the Amx cannot win.
                              The polls for Round 1 have only been open for a short time (not much more than 24 hours) and there is still more than 3 weeks to go.
                              However, based on the trend so far I have to say it's not looking very good for the AMX, with a vote ratio of almost 6-to-1 in favour of the Leopard.

That said, I can think of one particular French design that I expect to do very well in this campaign. So well, I'd be surprised if it did not get to the semi-final at least. I'm sure you can guess which tank I'm talking about.
                              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X