Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp 2 - PzKpfw III (Germany) vs PzKpfw IV (Germany)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 1 Grp 2 - PzKpfw III (Germany) vs PzKpfw IV (Germany)

Round 1, Group 2: PzKpfw III (Germany) vs PzKpfw IV (Germany)

PzKpfw III and PzKpfw IV both served their nation very capably indeed. PzKpfw IV “took over” as the primary medium after Pzkpfw III proved unable to be readily up-gunned any further.

PzKpfw III would continue to serve in small numbers as a tank but more importantly, it was already the platform for the StuG III – one of the most successful and effective assault gun/tank destroyer vehicles of WW2 – and this would become by far the most significant use of that chassis during the second half of the war.

Upon becoming the primary German medium tank, PzKpfw IV was meant to serve as an interim model until sufficient numbers of Panthers could be produced. The Panther never fully replaced the PzKpfw IV, meaning that the older tank remained in production and service as a vital part of the German medium tank fleet until the end of the war.

Two very important tanks serving the same master. Which one gets your vote?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #24 - PzKpfw III (Germany)

Service Entry – 1938/39
    Weight – 19 - 23 metric tons
    Top Speed – 40 km/h (25 mph)
    Main Armament – 37mm, 50mm or 75mm gun
    No. Produced – 5,770 (approx)

For further info, check Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_III

Candidate #25 - PzKpfw IV (Germany)

Service Entry – 1938
    Weight – 18.5 – 25 metric tons
    Top Speed – 42 km/h (26 mph)
    Main Armament – 75 mm gun
    No. Produced – 8,500 (approx.)

For further info, see Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_IV

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

PzKpfw III (Germany)
    17.58%
    PzKpfw IV (Germany)
    82.42%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Skoblin; 24 Jun 14, 01:02.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

DAMN that's a hard choice, as the PzKpfw III had been the work-horse in the early years that the PzKpfw IV was in the middle and later years of WWII... I have to give the edge to the PzKpfw IV.
    BoRG
    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Very hard to split. I chose the MkIII simply because it was more of the backbone to the tank arm.

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Both tanks started off under 20 tons. The main difference to me is the size of the turret ring. The Mark IV started off as a support tank and grew into a battle tank. Even more amazing is it was in production from 1938 to 1945!

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The PzKpfw IV,: being the only German battle tank to remain in production throughout WW2, being constantly up-gunned and up-armoured
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

If the criteria was combat success, I would have opted for PzIV.

However, Panzer III had some features that have influenced later designs, for example the suspension.
            It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
            Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

The PzKpfw IV ...

... may have been a bit less inspired regarding one or two of its design features, compared to PzKpfw III. And I'm thinking first and foremost, the leaf-spring suspension, compared to the torsion bars of Panzer 3.

However, being gifted with a larger turret ring made it viable for longer and hence, in the end, certainly more significant. Influence is fairly even, IMO, so for me at least it's a modest margin in favour of the PzKpfw IV.
              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

I go for the Panzer III, the edge being the torsion bar suspension.
                One must mention the off shoot on the chassis the StuG/H III.
                In the greater scheme of things both Panzer III and IV were of equal importance.

Ed.
                The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

PzIV,it may have been the least favourite mount of the Panzerwaffe in the final year but it was still causing problems for the allies right up to the end.
                  The PzIII ceased to be a contentious gun tank after Kursk and ironically swapped original roles with the IV after that.

PzIV.

Comment

While most people would say the Pz IV it is the Pz III that took Germany to the brink of victory in WW 2. The Pz III also has a number of design features that are significant beyond it such as using torsion bar suspension.

Comment

Panzer III also gave the chassis and running gear for StuG III.

EDIT: dutched beat me to it.
                      It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                      Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Easy choice, the PzKpfw IV. It could quite successfully adapt different roles like no other German tank. The equivalent of Luftwaffes Ju 88 maybe?

Comment

Panzer III as being the more forward-looking vehicle technical-wise. The steering system was better, the suspension was better and when the Germans considered amalgamating the two vehicles, several other features of the Panzer III was to be used. As it formed the chassis of the StuG III and StuH III, it also lasted to wars end, even after the basic tank chassis no longer could be used as a gun tank.

Had the Germans been able to do so, they would likely have ditched the Panzer IV in 1943/44 as it was truly obsolete in terms of technology. Only production issues made the Germans cling to it while they converted much of the production capacity to more capable StuG/Jagdpanzer. Had it not been for Krupps passionate hate for the torsion bar system, the Panzer IV might very well have died much earlier

Comment

PzKpfw III (Germany)

Comment

PzKpfw IV (Germany), It shifted its primary role and faced Toughest opponents,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X