This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
    ... or evacuate wounded crew members from another Israeli AFV?
    tee hee hee.

Comment

" ... I was struggling a bit with some of the decisions I know will have to be made. I've been slowly and steadily going through the line-up again and re-assessing each candidate ...
      ... In the meantime, I had also made some adjustments to the original list based on suggestions received from members up to this point, so what I've got right now is a bit different anyway.
      OK guys, this looks like the line-up we'll be going to bat with soon:

Bracket 1: 1916-1938 (Infancy and childhood of the tank - a new weapon shows some promise)

Tanks Mk I-V (rhomboidal) Britain
      Medium Mk. A/B 'Whippet' Britain
      Vickers Medium Mk I/II Britain
      A1E1 Independent Britain
      Vickers 6-Ton Britain

Skoda SIIa/LT-35 Czechoslovakia
      TNH/LTP/LT-38 Czechoslovakia
      Schneider CA-1 France
      Saint Chamond France
      Renault FT-17 France

Char 2C France
      A7V Germany

Medium Tank Type 89A/B Japan
      BT-5/7 Soviet Union/Russia
      T-28 Medium Soviet Union/Russia
      Christie Mediums M1928-36 & T3 USA

Bracket 2: 1939-1945 (Adolescence of the tank - rapid development and change)

Infantry Tank Mk II Matilda 2 Britain
      Infantry Tank Mk III Valentine Britain
      Infantry Tank Mk IV Churchill Britain

Cruiser Tanks Cromwell/Comet Britain
      Char Somua S-35 France
      Char B1/B1-bis France
      PzKpfw 38(t) Germany
      PzKpfw III Germany
      PzKpfw IV Germany
      Panther Germany
      Tigers I & II Germany
      T-34 Soviet Union/Russia
      KV tanks Soviet Union/Russia
      IS-2 Soviet Union/Russia
      Medium Tank M3 Lee/Grant USA
      Mediium Tank M4 Sherman USA

Bracket 3: 1946-1979 (Young adulthood - distillation and crystallization of concepts)

Centurion Britain
      Chieftain Britain

AMX-13 France
      AMX-30 France
      Leopard I Germany (W)
      T-34-85 Soviet Union/Russia
      T-44/T-54/55 Soviet Union/Russia
      T-62 Soviet Union/Russia
      T-64/64A/B Soviet Union/Russia
      T-72 Soviet Union/Russia

IS-3 - T-10 tanks Soviet Union/Russia
      Strv 103 'S' Tank Sweden
      M24 Chaffee USA
      M26/46 & M47 USA
      M48 USA
      M60/M60A1 USA

Bracket 4: 1980 on (Maturity - the era of the MBT)

Challenger I/II Britain

Type 96 China
      Type 98/99 China
      Leclerc France
      Leopard II Germany
      Merkava I/II/III/IV Israel
      C1 Ariete Italy
      Type 90 Japan
      Type 88 K1/K1A1 South Korea
      T-55 Soviet Union/Russia
      T-62 Soviet Union/Russia
      T-64 series Soviet Union/Russia
      T-72/T-90 Soviet Union/Russia
      T-80 series Soviet Union/Russia

M60A1/A3 USA
      M1/M1A1/M1A2 Abrams USA

I've solved my Photobucket problem so I can now post pics on ACG again. Photographic and data material will be assembled and edited over the next several days. I'm hoping to have this thing up and running now within about a week, give or take a bit.

Last edited by panther3485; 31 May 14, 13:47.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

That sounds like a very nice campaign! Very nice work!
        I'm looking forward. Thank you.
        One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanov View Post
          That sounds like a very nice campaign! Very nice work!
          I'm looking forward. Thank you.
          No problem. Progress with the preparation work has not been quite as quick as I would have liked but I'm getting there.

Last weekend I began by figuring out the 32 pairings for the first round.
          I have to say, I had numerous internal debates with myself over those:
          Which tanks should be paired off against which!

Then, I started work on the photos for each tank; including selecting, scanning, editing, re-sizing etc wherever applicable (and in almost all cases it was).
          I thought I should have an absolute minimum of two pics per tank but when it came down to the nitty-gritty I ended up with anything from 2 or 3 up to 5 or 6 pics for each type, so I have enough to choose from. I have to admit that sometimes I had trouble making up my mind about the picture selection because my own resources offer me more than just a few, for some of these tanks at least. (Holy procrastination, Batman!)

However, the extra time invested in preparation should pay off. The selection of photos will allow me to randomly vary a certain proportion of selected pictures from one round to the next.

Out of the four groups of 16 tanks, I've fully completed the first two groups' worth of photos ready for uploading; and when retiring to bed tonight I will have just started on the third.

Frequent short breaks are taken while doing this work, so I don't go nuts or get square eyes!

Steady as she goes.
          Last edited by panther3485; 04 Jun 14, 11:29.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Thanks for your patience, everyone ...

I'm happy to say, progress with the 'Most Significant/Influential Tank' campaign has been good recently. I anticipate that we should be able to get under way within the next couple of days; give or take a bit. I'm looking at this Sunday but there's a small chance of it going to the Monday before being fully ready.

There are 64 "tank candidates" meaning 32 poll threads for the opening round. When the campaign/tournament opens, aside from the voting itself there should be plenty of scope for some interesting in-thread discussions.

I'm personally very much looking forward to this thing being under way.

Comment

Humble and sincere apologies

Guys, my humble and sincere apologies to you all; I know you have been very patient.

As it turns out, I'll need 2-3 more days at most before these polls are ready. They are soooo close to completion, believe me. They'll be well and truly completed before the coming weekend. It's just that the work is taking a little longer than anticipated; mainly due to unexpected constraints on my personal time.

The very last stage - placing and editing some brief written content in each of the 32 polls to go with the photographs - is just over half done and in my current situation I'm likely to need until Thursday (25 June) to be sure of completing it properly. After working on this thing so carefully over the last couple of weeks, I want to maintain the level of quality that I believe (and I hope you will agree) has been achieved up to this point.

Thanking you once again for your patience and understanding, you have all been very good.

PS: I'm hoping you will enjoy this campaign a lot; it's the goal I am working towards and the extra couple or so days of delay should be very well worth it.

Comment

Looking forward to it!
                BoRG
                "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Guys, my humble and sincere apologies to you all; I know you have been very patient.
                  No apologies are needed . You are the bedrock at ACG that many of us here require, and we are more than happy to wait for you to sort out more important personal issues, and have a thoroughly assessed poll to judge upon .
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                    No apologies are needed . You are the bedrock at ACG that many of us here require, and we are more than happy to wait for you to sort out more important personal issues, and have a thoroughly assessed poll to judge upon .
                    I agree.
                    Take all the time you need and stop apologizing!

Comment

Yes,no apologies needed,I think it's fair to say that we are eager,not impatient,and there's a big difference.

Comment

Update

Update:

All 32 of the tank polls for this new campaign were completed last night. They are currently placed in a 'holding area'. I am now seeking assistance from some senior staff members, who have the necessary access and ability to help me set the campaign up. As soon as they can be available to get that done (hopefully some time this weekend), we can begin.

Thank you all once again for your patience.

Comment

Update:

All 32 of the tank polls for this new campaign were completed last night. They are currently placed in a 'holding area'. I am now seeking assistance from some senior staff members, who have the necessary access and ability to help me set the campaign up. As soon as they can be available to get that done (hopefully some time this weekend), we can begin.

Thank you all once again for your patience.
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Comment

All systems go!!!

The new 'Most Significant/Influential Tank' campaign is now up and running!

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...play.php?f=379

Jump in and enjoy!

PS - There's actually plenty of time to vote in Round 1. It will be open for almost 4 weeks before we go to Round 2.

Comment

Well I voted and was surprised at the results of the polls...
                                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X