Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final - Douglas Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU) vs Lockheed C-130 Hercules (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    I think it is nostalgia that pushed it over the top. My nostalgic inspiration was started when the owner of a crop dusting aircraft company let me and my friends play around in his PBY he was restoring. We spent many hours exploring that old bird, the owner took the time to explain to us what everything did, the controls etc. it had a small galley, six bunks, all original.
    The flight engineer sat above and behind the pilots in the wing strut.
    The owner had flown them during the war and told us about how a good pilot could trim the plane up, set the throttles just right, and in the right conditions cruise just faster than stall speed and stay up for many more hours than the plane was designed for.
    Great to read of your experience with the PBY, which captures my imagination.

Can't speak for anyone else but for me, nostalgia is the C-130. This is on account of years' worth of personal experience with that aircraft; mostly jumping out of it but sometimes other stuff including the occasional trans-continental flight.

The DC-3/C-47 to my mind is (of course) another truly great plane and IMHO a deserving winner of this tournament - which is why I voted for it - but I feel no personal connection, as such, with that aircraft.
    Last edited by panther3485; 11 Apr 16, 10:38.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Just had a DC3 fly over the house! Good omen?
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
        Great to read of your experience with the PBY, which captures my imagination.

Can't speak for anyone else but for me, nostalgia is the C-130. This is on account of years' worth of personal experience with that aircraft; mostly jumping out of it but sometimes other stuff including the occasional trans-continental flight.

The DC-3/C-47 to my mind is (of course) another truly great plane and IMHO a deserving winner of this tournament - which is why I voted for it - but I feel no personal connection, as such, with that aircraft.
        Ditto

I've never seen a C47. I've seen uncounted 130's an flew trans-Atlantic in one. Flew in one more than once in Nam and they made the regular passenger/cargo run into Duc Pho. Call sign Bookie 750 or 350 iirc.

For this poll the C 47 remains the hands down winner imo.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Just had a DC3 fly over the house! Good omen?
          Regular flight by BA???

Comment

Afghanisdan, Arnold J Rimmer, Arthwys, Bwaha, Daemon of Decay, drivin-fool, GCoyote, Gixxer86g, Javaman, johns624, Jose50, Kendrick, lakechampainer, mcpike, Merkava188, Michele, Mountain Man, pinzer, SeaDog48, The Exorcist, Tsar, Urban hermit, Vaeltaja
            Bunch of losers!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Regular flight by BA???
              Possibly going to Cosford
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Afghanisdan, Arnold J Rimmer, Arthwys, Bwaha, Daemon of Decay, drivin-fool, GCoyote, Gixxer86g, Javaman, johns624, Jose50, Kendrick, lakechampainer, mcpike, Merkava188, Michele, Mountain Man, pinzer, SeaDog48, The Exorcist, Tsar, Urban hermit, Vaeltaja
                Bunch of losers!

I've been there, got the T-shirt.

I don't agree with them, but that doesn't mean they might not be right .
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Ditto

I've never seen a C47. I've seen uncounted 130's an flew trans-Atlantic in one. Flew in one more than once in Nam and they made the regular passenger/cargo run into Duc Pho. Call sign Bookie 750 or 350 iirc.

For this poll the C 47 remains the hands down winner imo.
                  My ex-bf lives in Terrell and there used to be two C-47's based there at "No. 1 British Flying Training School Museum". http://www.bftsmuseum.org/home.php

Once we visited and they both took off to go to a fly-in. Awesome!

At the Terrell Public Library there are two benches donated by the British veterans of No. 1 British Flying Training School.

To celebrate at the site of the FIRST ROYAL AIR FORCE FLYING TRAINING SCHOOL in the UNITED STATES the history and importance of the BRITISH COMMONWEALTH and AMERICAN cooperation in war and peace.

During World War II thousands of British pilots learned to fly at six civilian training schools in the United States. The first and largest of the schools was in Terrell, Texas. After the United States entered the war, American Aviation Cadets also trained at the school. More than 2,000 Royal Air Force and American Army Air Force pilots earned their wings over North Texas between 1941 and 1945. Terrellís citizens welcomed the student pilots to their community and many life-long bonds were forged.

The museum celebrates this little known chapter of World War II history. The collection includes hundreds of historical items: log books, training materials, WW II memorabilia and uniforms.The museumís archives contain the most extensive record of the No. 1 British Flying Training School that exists.
                  Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                  Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                  For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                  And battles long ago:
                  -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

I live in south africa so a C47 is not that rare i see them more than the C130 since the C47s are based in cape town and some do Martime Patrol.

The Aif force mussem all so flys a C47 so that means we have a operastional and airworth mussem C47s pluse civilian C47s.
                    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Off topic

Anyone else watching 633 Squadron? (Southeastern Pa. cable...TCM.). Love watching the Mosquitos, hate seeing them burn.
                      John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X