Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final - Douglas Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU) vs Lockheed C-130 Hercules (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final - Douglas Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU) vs Lockheed C-130 Hercules (USA)

Round 7 (Final)

Douglas C-47 Skytrain/Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)
    vs
    Lockheed C-130 Hercules (USA)

Candidate #76 - Douglas C-47* Skytrain/Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)
    (*For tournament purposes, deemed to include all variants of this same basic airframe including the original US DC-3 passenger aircraft; as well as later Soviet/Russian & Japanese production.)

Service Intro - 1936 (DC-3) and 1942 (C-47)
    Roles - airliner; general transport; VIP/liaison; paratroop; ambulance; search & rescue; glider & target tug; trainer; maritime patrol; photo recon; light bomber; carrier ops; gunship; ELINT & EW
    Quantity Produced - 18,000 (approx.)
    User Nations - USA + about 100 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-3
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_C-47_Skytrain
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisunov_Li-2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showa/Nakajima_L2D

Candidate #98 - Lockheed C-130 Hercules (USA)

Service Intro - 1955
    Roles - transport; paratroop; medevac; bomber; gunship; S&R; maritime patrol; ECM & ELINT; clandestine ops; firefighting; weather recon; tanker
    Quantity Produced - 2,600 (approx.)
    User Nations - USA + more than 70 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_C-130_Hercules
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_WC-130

Our Final here is a showdown between what many must surely see as two of the "giants" among the most important aircraft of all time; one of which started as a passenger plane; the other as a general purpose transport.

Both have enormous longevity of service and both have assumed many roles; a good number of which would not have been foreseen at the time of design?

Which aircraft do you think most deserves to be declared the outright champion of our campaign?

Only one of these two candidates can be our Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft!
    Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Douglas C-47 Skytrain/Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)
    72.53%
    Lockheed C-130 Hercules (USA)
    27.47%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 05 Apr 16, 21:17.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

As cool as the C-130 is and is the best multi-role aircraft due to its design, the C-47 was more significant.
      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Worthy aircraft both: but it was the DC-3/C-47/Skytrain/Dakota that really set the agenda in transport aircraft, military and civil.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

But the C130 set the standard.

And she's been doing it for 60 years. Fending off attempted replacement over and over. Didn't take long to replace the Dakota.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
            But the C130 set the standard.

And she's been doing it for 60 years. Fending off attempted replacement over and over. Didn't take long to replace the Dakota.
            Your short on aviation history Gix.

DC3/C47 as a worthy winner of a great poll by Paul

Once again for Paul

Douglas developed an improved version, the Super DC-3, with more engine power, greater cargo capacity and a different wing, but with all the bargain-priced surplus aircraft available, they did not sell well in the civil aviation market. Only five were delivered, three of them to Capital Airlines. The U.S. Navy had 100 of its early R4Ds converted to Super DC-3 standard during the early 1950s as the R4D-8, later C-117D. The last U.S. Navy C-117 was retired July 12, 1976.[20] The last U.S. Marine Corps C-117, serial 50835, was retired from active service during June 1982. Several remained in service with small airlines in North and South America in 2006.[21]
            Last edited by Half Pint John; 03 Apr 16, 03:57.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Your short on aviation history Gix.

DC3/C47 as a worthy winner of a great poll by Paul

Once again for Paul

Douglas developed an improved version, the Super DC-3, with more engine power, greater cargo capacity and a different wing, but with all the bargain-priced surplus aircraft available, they did not sell well in the civil aviation market. Only five were delivered, three of them to Capital Airlines. The U.S. Navy had 100 of its early R4Ds converted to Super DC-3 standard during the early 1950s as the R4D-8, later C-117D. The last U.S. Navy C-117 was retired July 12, 1976.[20] The last U.S. Marine Corps C-117, serial 50835, was retired from active service during June 1982. Several remained in service with small airlines in North and South America in 2006.[21]
              Gotta agree with HPJ. There are still a few DC-3 earning a living down here. Including this non-flying one in Mangaweka:

Comment

The Dakota did it first but the Herc does it much better and will end up doing it for a lot longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  The last U.S. Navy C-117 was retired July 12, 1976.[20] The last U.S. Marine Corps C-117, serial 50835, was retired from active service during June 1982. Several remained in service with small airlines in North and South America in 2006.[21]
                  Sorry to disagree, but that's only about 40 years since inception. The Herkybird is still being built sixty years since the first one. They are still being used in first line uses in first line air forces, not in some backwater that can't afford something better.

Comment

The C-47's record as both a military and civilian aircraft is nigh-untouchable. C-47 for the victory.

Comment

Very tough choice.

The C-130 is the superior aircraft in every way.

But the C-47 did it all first and in much greater numbers.

I have to go with the C-47.
                      "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                      Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Both my father and I jumped the C-47. Dad's jump plane pictured, taken after the Sicily and Salerno jumps. Excellent aircraft that still flies today!

My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                          Sorry to disagree, but that's only about 40 years since inception. The Herkybird is still being built sixty years since the first one. They are still being used in first line uses in first line air forces, not in some backwater that can't afford something better.
                          An in that time the DC3/C47 was the starter aircraft of the modern commercial aviation. Herc is a great bird but not doing much more than the 47 had done years earlier.

Comment

*Broods before casting vote*
                            Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                            Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                            For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                            And battles long ago:
                            -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
                              *Broods before casting vote*
                              Which one looks prettier Susie? That's important now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X