Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Semi-Final - Junkers Ju 52 (Germany) vs Douglas Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-Final - Junkers Ju 52 (Germany) vs Douglas Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU)

Round 6 (Semi-Final)

Junkers Ju 52 (Germany)
    vs
    Douglas C-47 Skytrain/Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)

Candidate #15 - Junkers Ju 52 (Germany)

Service Intro - 1931
    Roles - airliner; transport; bomber; paratroop; minesweeper; ambulance; glider tug
    Quantity Produced - 4,845
    User Nations - Germany + at least 35 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_52

Candidate #76 - Douglas C-47* Skytrain/Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)
    (*For tournament purposes, deemed to include all variants of this same basic airframe including Soviet/Russian & Japanese production.)

Service Intro - 1942
    Roles - airliner; general transport; VIP/liaison; paratroop; ambulance; search & rescue; glider & target tug; trainer; maritime patrol; photo recon; light bomber; carrier ops; gunship; ELINT & EW
    Quantity Produced - 18,000 (approx.)
    User Nations - USA + about 100 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-3
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_C-47_Skytrain
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisunov_Li-2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showa/Nakajima_L2D

So, here we have two truly great aircraft that were passenger liners, transports and a good number of other things.
    Which do you think most deserves to go on?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the Final!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Junkers Ju 52 (Germany)
    8.05%
    Douglas C-47 Skytrain/Dakota & Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)
    91.95%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 20 Mar 16, 06:14.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Both aircraft are worthy to have gotten this far, IMHO; but one of them has to go and I'm leaning rather towards favouring the Dakota to get to the Final.
    However, each of us has to make up his/her mind.
    If enough of you guys are thinking as I am, it will be sad to see the faithful old "Tante Ju" go; but speaking for myself at least, whichever way this match goes it won't hurt nearly as much as Mossie vs Herc.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Gooney Bird!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Soft spot for the flying tool shed, have seen the last operational one landing (in Switzerland) but have to go with the Dakota. DC3 one of the first airliners I've been on. It epitomises mid 20th century air transportation.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I heard that as late as the mid-1960s, the DC-3 was still carrying 2/3rds of the world's air cargo.

Anyone have any idea if that is true?

Comment

Never jumped a Ju 52 so I went with the C-47.

My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

The Gooney...that old bird just never quits.
              Skip

Comment

Junkers went with an antiquated design and was bested by what must be called the singularly best transport plane in history, a title the DC 3 / C-47 can still easily claim today.

Comment

Since the Shagbat's been eliminated, I can be more objective. Found a cool article on the Gooney Bird: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/04/travel...-douglas-dc-3/

Comment

I looked and found one for a quarter mil. for sale.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!super-dc-3/c1yt

Warning, the details are very slim on this bird...
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

C-47 wins this and the final.

Comment

Gooney Bird 4evah! Though the Ju-52 is pretty...who am I kidding, it's UGLY, but in a nice way. Kind of like WSC, a comparison that would make him spill his brandy.

Susie
                        Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                        Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                        For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                        And battles long ago:
                        -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
                          Gooney Bird 4evah! Though the Ju-52 is pretty...who am I kidding, it's UGLY, but in a nice way. Kind of like WSC, a comparison that would make him spill his brandy.

Susie
                          No he'd never waste brandy
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Both same basic mission but only one's still flyinh today.
                            Ju-52 had variants like the minehunting antenae and floatplane versions, but the C-47 had spooky, Antarctic, SAR and elint versions.

Comment

Here's an interesting tidbit. The South African Air Force is still flying a few DC-3 as maritime patrol aircraft.

Like that one.

They also have at least one DC-3 on display in a museum, and there are others elsewhere that are museum pieces. How many other planes still on active military duty can claim to be museum pieces, for real, and still be flying at the same time?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X