Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quarter-Final - Junkers Ju 88 (Germany) vs De Havilland Mosquito (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter-Final - Junkers Ju 88 (Germany) vs De Havilland Mosquito (Britain)

Round 5 (Quarter-Final):

Junkers Ju 88 (Germany)
    vs
    De Havilland Mosquito (Britain)

Candidate #51 - Junkers Ju 88 (Germany)

Service Intro - 1939
    Roles - medium bomber; dive bomber & ground attack; long range fighter; anti-shipping & long range maritime patrol; night fighter/intruder; recon
    Quantity Produced - 14,980
    User Nations - Germany, Finland, France, Hungary, Italy, Romania, Spain

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_88

Candidate #75 - De Havilland Mosquito (Britain)

Service Intro - 1942
    Roles - bomber; fighter-bomber; day & night fighter/interceptor; pathfinder; maritime strike; special & precision ops; recon; fast transport; carrier-based torpedo bomber; trainer; target tug
    Quantity Produced - 7,781
    User Nations - Britain + 20 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito

So, will your vote go to Junkers or De Havilland?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the Semi-Final!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Junkers Ju 88 (Germany)
    22.58%
    De Havilland Mosquito (Britain)
    77.42%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 06 Mar 16, 12:31.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

The Mossie is one of my fav Aircraft. It fullfilled many roles superbly. But i think the Ju-88 is the most successful multirole Aircraft of the Axis. It was built in large numbers and fought from the beginning to the end of ww2. I havent made up my mind yet, but i think it will be head over heart. Uglyness over beauty

posted from mobile
    One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

For some reason I expected this to be the final match-up. Well, I've stated from the very beginning that the JU-88 was the most versatile multi-role aircraft and I see no reason for changing my mind now.

Comment

While the 88 was an excellent contender, it's just come up against its better.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

The Mosquito was just as versatile an aircraft as the Junkers, but it was a better fighter and it ended up on the winning side. (Plus the 88 was just plain ugly! )

Mossie for me.

Comment

Both are great aircraft, I just like the Ju 88 better.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The Ju.88 Never had allied boffins clambering to counter it with an 'antidote' So the influence that the Mosquito had over the Nazi's is enough to knock the Ju.88 into a cocked hat.'

The Mosquito's record is simply second to none, which in the end, is the ultimate in influence and significance.

Here's a question:

You have an option of flying over the most dangerous airspace in history up to that time (1943-45) in either the Ju.88 or Mosquito, doing Photo-recon, day/night bombing, night/day fighting, day/night intruder missions. What would you rather to be in?

Paul
              Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 06 Mar 16, 20:37.
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

A very near-run thing: but the Mosquito has the edge, I think.
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Oh! And to add to the....

"As an aside: One Mosquito flew from England to India in 12 hrs 25 minutes in mid 1945, beating the previous record held by another Mosquito by two minutes."

There's this too....

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210758

Paul
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

The Mossie was a constant thorn in the side of the Luftwaffe.

One cannot say this to the same degree and in the same way for the JU88.

Mossie for me.
                    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

If you have two similar aircraft doing the similar missions at the same time, then I would normally choose the more numerous aircraft that entered service earlier.

However, while both aircraft were tactically very useful, the Mosquito had a definite impact in its strategic role, ie the bombing of Nazi Germany. Whether as photo recon, night fighter, pathfinder or just simply able to carry the same bomb load as a B-17, using fewer resources, less men, doing it quicker, and with far fewer losses, the Mosquito is the clear winner out of this pairing.
                      Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 07 Mar 16, 07:11.
                      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                        The Mossie was a constant thorn in the side of the Luftwaffe.

One cannot say this to the same degree and in the same way for the JU88.
                        No the Ju 88 certainly wasn't a constant thorn in the side of the Luftwaffe.

One should also say that its defensive armament was inadequate and it wasn't fast enough not to need it.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

The Mosquito caused panic amongst Nazi night fighter crews. Many of whom were flying JU 88s.
                          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                            The Mosquito caused panic amongst Nazi night fighter crews. Many of whom were flying JU 88s.
                            Largely because of the Radar spoofing. For example the German night fighter could think it was homing onto a Bomber Command tail gunners radar but in fact be stalking a Mosquito pretending to be a heavy bomber and just waiting for them to get in range.
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                              Here's a question:

You have an option of flying over the most dangerous airspace in history up to that time (1943-45) in either the Ju.88 or Mosquito, doing Photo-recon, day/night bombing, night/day fighting, day/night intruder missions. What would you rather to be in?

Paul
                              That settles it for me--Mosquito.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X