Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 4 Grp CD- Hawker Hurricane (Britain) vs Junkers Ju 88 (Germany)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 4 Grp CD- Hawker Hurricane (Britain) vs Junkers Ju 88 (Germany)

Round 4, Group CD:

Hawker Hurricane (Britain)
    vs
    Junkers Ju 88 (Germany)

Candidate #35 - Hawker Hurricane (Britain)

Service Intro - 1937
    Roles - interceptor; fighter-bomber/ground attack (land & carrier-based); night fighter & intruder; recon; trainer; target tug
    Quantity Produced - 14,449
    User Nations - Britain + more than 20 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hurricane

Candidate #51 - Junkers Ju 88 (Germany)

Service Intro - 1939
    Roles - medium bomber; dive bomber & ground attack; long range fighter; anti-shipping & long range maritime patrol; night fighter/intruder; recon
    Quantity Produced - 14,980
    User Nations - Germany, Finland, France, Hungary, Italy, Romania, Spain

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_88

So, what's it to be? Bangers 'n' mash with Hawker or Brattwurst on rye with Junkers?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Hawker Hurricane (Britain)
    27.17%
    Junkers Ju 88 (Germany)
    72.83%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 21 Feb 16, 02:34.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

The Ju-** was the Luftwffe "maid of all work". the hurricane struggled to find a role after a certain point in time.Very rugged, though, and I know which aircraft I'd rather fly. But the Junkers machine is too good here.
    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

I had to go with the 88!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I went with the Hurricane because it really won the Battle of Britain.
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Hurricane for the BoB here too.

I just realized that the two Germans standing in front of the Ju-88 in the bottom picture are about ten feet in front of he props...while they're spinning! Isn't that just a bit nuts? They look so nonchalant.
          John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

The Ju 88. More versatile, more influential.
            Michele

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post

I just realized that the two Germans standing in front of the Ju-88 in the bottom picture are about ten feet in front of he props...while they're spinning! Isn't that just a bit nuts? They look so nonchalant.
              Apparently people walking into spinning props was a fairly common accident on airfields which is why some had the tips painted yellow
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post

That'd be nuts. The propblades aren't there so they can be relaxed.
                Look close at the spinners and the entry holes for the blades are visible. If them holes are visible then the blades would have been too, even if (slightly) blurred.
                "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

The Ju 88 buries the Hurricane here. There is no worthwhile comparison in terms of multirole use.
                  Even in terms of aircraft construction there's no comparison. The Hurricane was using obsolescent design at the time of its introduction. The use of a steel truss and canvas fuselage was right out of the late 20's. The use of fabric covered wings was abandoned for all metal when it was obvious the later could carry heavier loads, handle much higher dive speeds, and was more resilient to damage.

The Hurricane was a plane always trying to catch up to the state of the art, not state of the art.

Junkers took the Ju 88 /188 / 388 /488 design to all sorts of new areas of interest. Turning a twin engine bomber into a four engine bomber without major redesign is just one point of the versatility of the design.

Comment

I do think the Hurricane is a very underrated aircraft, but its gone further than it should in this particular poll imho.
                    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                      I do think the Hurricane is a very underrated aircraft, but its gone further than it should in this particular poll imho.
                      Sadly agree/ I still think the Ju-88 was equipped with more ugly than it ever could use, but it was stunningly multi-use. Better twin-engine fighter than anything Messerschmitt ever produced to boot.

Susie
                      Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                      Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                      For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                      And battles long ago:
                      -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Junkers took the Ju 88 /188 / 388 /488 design to all sorts of new areas of interest. Turning a twin engine bomber into a four engine bomber without major redesign is just one point of the versatility of the design.
                        Well it would have been if they had done so The 488 was not a development of the original design but used components of the 188 and 288 married to an entirely new fuselage. None was actually completed as the French resistance sabotaged the fuselages in 1944. The Germans did try and sell the design to the Japanese but no result.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          Very unrated and apparently mis-understood.
                          My worst jump story:
                          No lie.

~
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                            Very unrated and apparently mis-understood.
                            Please elucidate

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                              Please elucidate
                              The mostly canvas outer skin made it one of the first stealth fighters.
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X