Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 3 Grp GH - MD/Boeing F-15 Eagle (USA) vs MD/Boeing F/A-18 Hornet series (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abstain...pending the critical point. More numbers and customers has got to make the hornet more influential.

Too expensive F-15s has got to make them less influential.

We don't have any extra chickens to sacrifce, or goats.

And the only coin I want to toss is into the Trebia fountain for good luck.

Whose comment will sawy my vote?
    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

F18 good

F15 Great.
      Both are tough as nails. http://theaviationist.com/tag/mcdonn...-fa-18-hornet/
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

A lot of people reference the Israelis use of F15s.

Imagine the Israelis had F18s instead. Would the results have been better, worse, or the same?

If you could only pick one of these planes for your air force (ignoring the differences due to technological advances), which would you pick?

I kind of tend towards the F18, since I think it's just a more flexible platform. Plus cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
          Abstain...pending the critical point. More numbers and customers has got to make the hornet more influential.

The F/A18 is just an improved version of the YF17, which lost to the F16 in the Lightweight Fighter competition. Therefore, the F15 is better, because it's never lost to anything...

Comment

The main point as I see it, is that the focus of this contest is to assess each aircraft's actual proven real-life achievements and what it represents; the significance/influence of these things; not the "what-ifs" or even its potential future achievements.
            "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
            Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
              A lot of people reference the Israelis use of F15s.

Imagine the Israelis had F18s instead. Would the results have been better, worse, or the same?

If you could only pick one of these planes for your air force (ignoring the differences due to technological advances), which would you pick?

I kind of tend towards the F18, since I think it's just a more flexible platform. Plus cheaper.
              Bold is mine.

The Israeli's don't/didn't use the F-18 so the point is moot.

This is not a best aircraft thread, or my voting would have been different. I suspect we all have are agendas here, whether truly honest or not.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

F15A did this.

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Bold is mine.

The Israeli's don't/didn't use the F-18 so the point is moot.

This is not a best aircraft thread, or my voting would have been different. I suspect we all have are agendas here, whether truly honest or not.
                  I have no agenda. I merely ask whether the Israeli success was a key point in voting for the F-15.

I can see arguments for both planes. But throughout this competition I try to ask myself: "If I could only have one....".

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                    " ... throughout this competition I try to ask myself: "If I could only have one...."."
                    If I had both the land and the money to erect a large enough building on it, I can think of a number of planes I'd like to own but choosing just one would be tough.
                    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                      Good link and info. Thanks
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

F-18...carrier landing ability...done.
                        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Tough choice on this one. I could argue for either plane. Gonna have to think on this one.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                            F-18...carrier landing ability...done.
                            The ability to land on a carrier doesn't make any difference in my opinion. It doesn't make the F-18 more or less capable in it's performance, it's just something it needs to be able to do to work for the Navy.

The F-15 has proven to be the best modern air superiority fighter in the world, and that can't really be disputed by facts because it is a fact. It's undefeated in aerial combat. The E model has proven itself to be equal to dedicated ground attack planes like the Tornado. It has shot down satellites. What more could you possibly ask for that the F-15 hasn't already done? I'm frankly surprised that it's as close as it is...this one should have been a slam dunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post

The F-15 cost was 28-31 million. F-18 was 29-57 million depending on variant. How is the F-18 cheaper? It's more expensive, although to be fair the F-15 cost I found was in 1998 dollars while the F-18 was in 2006 dollars, so there may be some adjustment for inflation. Not enough to make an inferior plane the better option though, so the best value for the money is the F-15. When the F-18 can be something like 110-0 in aerial combat I'll take another look at it.

Comment

It's like choosing between Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Hengist and Horsa
                                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X