This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet/Russian poll performance

As I look over the various Soviet and Russian aircraft that have been been listed in this poll and how poorly the Soviets/Russians are doing overall I have to scratch my head. I'll first admit that while I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of aircraft (I've read some) I do know that the Soviets/Russians had a tremendous industrial base. I know that that industry produced some decent tank designs in tremendous numbers. I know that the USSR could not have fought off the Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht with out decent fighters and ground attack aircraft. Their space program was not shabby.

The question; why have they done so poorly in this poll (I do not believe it has anything to do with the choosing of the aircraft at the outset of the poll)? Were the Soviets/Russians making aircraft that were just good enough? Is our knowledge of Soviet/Russian aircraft lacking?

Ideas
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Soviet aircraft were in general very good, they just don't stack up against their Western contemporaries in terms of effectiveness and service record when viewed in this fashion. The Soviet Union's biggest strong point was its ground forces, whereas the US, Britain, even Germany and Japan to some extent, were more focused on the air.

...That and a bit of Western bias, whether deliberate or subconscious.

Comment

The Soviets, especially in WW2, played it safe.

They came up with workhorse designs: good, reliable craft suited for mass production. The other powers tended to push the envelope and seek more 'cutting edge' improvements.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

While Russian planes are pretty, they suck in comparison to ours. Their avionics are at least 10 years behind ours. Their training is lackadaisical at best. Honestly, they try to steal anything we come up with and who's to say that isn't corrupt data. Ponces...
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Create this poll on a forum with the absolute majority of Russian members and you will get quite different results.
          www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
            Create this poll on a forum with the absolute majority of Russian members and you will get quite different results.
            That reminds me, what is the Russian equivalent of ACG? It would be interesting to see what they talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
              That reminds me, what is the Russian equivalent of ACG? It would be interesting to see what they talk about.
              Here it is: https://vif2ne.org/nvk/forum/0/0.htm I'd say its way more "hardcore" history forum with nerds arguing over the slightest details of operations and rivets on tanks. In short, it's much more like Feldgrau than ACG.
              www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                Here it is: https://vif2ne.org/nvk/forum/0/0.htm I'd say its way more "hardcore" history forum with nerds arguing over the slightest details of operations and rivets on tanks. In short, it's much more like Feldgrau than ACG.
                Thanks. It certainly looks pretty active, but based on what I'm seeing the format looks around 15 years old! Nice to know though.

EDIT: Never mind. Software glitch on my part. Looks basically like ACG but in Russian.

Comment

Thanks. It certainly looks pretty active, but based on what I'm seeing the format looks around 15 years old! Nice to know though.

EDIT: Never mind. Software glitch on my part. Looks basically like ACG but in Russian.
                  It is terribly old, but I guess they like it this way - scares the uninitiated outsiders away
                  www.histours.ru

Comment

http://www.rusarmy.com/

A more present-day focused forum.
                    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                      While Russian planes are pretty, they suck in comparison to ours. Their avionics are at least 10 years behind ours. Their training is lackadaisical at best. Honestly, they try to steal anything we come up with and who's to say that isn't corrupt data. Ponces...
                      So apart investigation the murder of Russian journalists by ShAA you also happened to study in detail the Russia Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
                        http://www.rusarmy.com/

A more present-day focused forum.
                        Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll register myself. It would be interesting to hear the varying perspectives.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll register myself. It would be interesting to hear the varying perspectives.
                          Be careful when you post. On Russian forums the moderation is usually as harsh as winter in Siberia. And as arbitrary as Stalin's purges.

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
                            So apart investigation the murder of Russian journalists by ShAA you also happened to study in detail the Russia Air Force.
                            Back on the Iggy list. You can stop trolling me.
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                              As I look over the various Soviet and Russian aircraft that have been been listed in this poll and how poorly the Soviets/Russians are doing overall I have to scratch my head. I'll first admit that while I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of aircraft (I've read some) I do know that the Soviets/Russians had a tremendous industrial base. I know that that industry produced some decent tank designs in tremendous numbers. I know that the USSR could not have fought off the Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht with out decent fighters and ground attack aircraft. Their space program was not shabby.

The question; why have they done so poorly in this poll (I do not believe it has anything to do with the choosing of the aircraft at the outset of the poll)? Were the Soviets/Russians making aircraft that were just good enough? Is our knowledge of Soviet/Russian aircraft lacking?

Ideas
                              Basically, the Soviets took much of their design work from others. For example, they reverse engineered one of our B-29's.

They copied work from every source they could find, and that robs them of being classed as innovative and/or influential to a large degree.

The Soviets were additionally handicapped severely by being forced to make much of their equipment suitable for operation by uneducated peasant conscripts, so they settled for tough and durable over sophisticated and innovative.

The space programs were a perfect example:

American went into miniaturization in order to keep payload weights down to what could be lifted. The Soviets simply built enormous boosters that could literally place a skyscraper in orbit.

The Americans built the "space pen" to enable astronauts to write in zero gravity. The Soviets issued pencils to their astronauts.

That is not to overlook such technological developments as the ground-breaking Ekranoplan, however.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X