Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp EF - Douglas C-47 & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia) vs Fairchild C119 (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp EF - Douglas C-47 & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia) vs Fairchild C119 (USA)

Round 2, Group EF:

Douglas C-47 Skytrain/Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)
    vs
    Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar" (USA)

Candidate #76 - Douglas C-47* Skytrain/Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)
    (*For tournament purposes, deemed to include all variants of this same basic airframe including Soviet/Russian & Japanese production.)

Service Intro - 1942
    Roles - airliner; general transport; VIP/liaison; paratroop; ambulance; search & rescue; glider & target tug; maritime patrol; photo recon; light bomber; carrier ops; gunship; ELINT & EW
    Quantity Produced - 18,000 (approx.)
    User Nations - USA + about 100 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-3
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_C-47_Skytrain
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisunov_Li-2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showa/Nakajima_L2D

Candidate #93 - Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar" (USA)

Service Intro - 1949
    Roles - transport; medevac; paratroop; supply drops; gunship; CAS/interdiction; satellite tracking
    Quantity Produced - 1,183
    User Nations - USA + 13 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairch..._Flying_Boxcar

Will you vote for the Dakota or the "Flying Boxcar"?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Douglas C-47 Skytrain/Dakota & Lisunov Li-2 (USA; SU/Russia)
    96.30%
    Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar" (USA)
    3.70%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 17 Jan 16, 03:30.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

The C-47 is still flying!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
      I believe my first ever flight was on this aircraft, when it was used by British United Island Airways.

This is not me going to Jersey.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

The "Flying Boxcar" was/is a great transport plane but it still pales to relative insignificance beside the C-47, IMO, and was only built in a fraction of the numbers.

Dakota for me.
        This is another potential Quarter-Final/Semi-Final/Final contender, IMO.
        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

DC3. You forgot aerial top-dressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
            Some have actually been re engined with turbo props
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
              DC3. You forgot aerial top-dressing.
              OK, said this once before somewhere in these polls and hopefully this will be the last time:

It was never my intention to attempt to list every single role or task ever performed by each aircraft.

Comment

Why are these planes included? They are single role planes: transports.

The Li-2 was a license built DC3 not C47. The Japanese also licensed the DC3

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
                  "Why are these planes included? They are single role planes: transports."
                  If you read the info provided, they both did quite a lot more than that. We do have a few "borderline" types in this tournament that arguably barely scrape in as "multi role". However, neither of these two are among them. For the purposes of this tournament, they easily qualify and in the case of the C-47, VERY easily.

" ... The Li-2 was a license built DC3 not C47. ... "
                  Who said the Li-2 was a license built C-47?

" ... The Japanese also licensed the DC3 ... "
                  Yes; I know. So?????

Comment

How do you tell an Li2 from a DC3 if you can't see the engines?

The fuselage door is on the opposite side. Why though I don't know.
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      The "Flying Boxcar" was/is a great transport plane but it still pales to relative insignificance beside the C-47, IMO, and was only built in a fraction of the numbers.

Dakota for me.
                      This is another potential Quarter-Final/Semi-Final/Final contender, IMO.
                      Ah, but the Boxcar had a leading role in a James Stewart movie. Can the C47 claim the same?

Dakota for ever!!!
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        Ah, but the Boxcar had a leading role in a James Stewart movie. Can the C47 claim the same?

Dakota for ever!!!
                        What about the C-47 in at least one John Wayne movie?

Comment

What about the C-47 in at least one John Wayne movie?
                          It was in quite a few movies.

At least according to the Internet Movie Plane Database (who knew such a thing existed...not I) :

C-47 Skytrain

Oh A Rat Pack movie with Gina Lollobrigida and Steve McQueen too

Never So Few

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
                            It was in quite a few movies.

At least according to the Internet Movie Plane Database (who knew such a thing existed...not I) :

C-47 Skytrain

Oh A Rat Pack movie with Gina Lollobrigida and Steve McQueen too

Never So Few
                            Yeah, but I was thinking specifically of movies starring John Wayne.

I recall "the Duke" and his airborne guys in The Longest Day. Pretty sure it was Dakotas they were jumping out of.
                            Also, I seem to recall at least one Vietnam war movie that references Puff the Magic Dragon (a C-47 gunship) and IIRC briefly shows it.
                            Not sure if it was the one with John Wayne; The Green Berets?
                            Last edited by panther3485; 04 Feb 16, 17:55.

Comment

Also, I seem to recall at least one Vietnam war movie that references Puff the Magic Dragon (a C-47 gunship) and IIRC briefly shows it.
                              Not sure if it was the one with John Wayne; The Green Berets?
                              Yep.
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X