Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp GH - GD/LM F-16 "Viper" (USA) vs MD/Boeing F/A-18 Hornet series (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp GH - GD/LM F-16 "Viper" (USA) vs MD/Boeing F/A-18 Hornet series (USA)

Round 2, Group GH:

General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon "Viper" (USA)
    vs
    McDonnell Douglas/Boeing F/A-18 Hornet & Super Hornet (USA)

Candidate #124 - General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon "Viper" (USA)

Service Intro - 1979
    Roles - air superiority; all-weather multi-role
    Quantity Produced - 4,540+
    User Nations - USA + at least 25 others

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ighting_Falcon

Candidate #126 - MD/Boeing F/A-18 Hornet & Super Hornet (USA)

Service Intro - 1983
    Roles - multi-role fighter
    Quantity Produced - 2,580+
    User Nations - USA, Australia, Canada, Finland, Kuwait, Malaysia, Spain, Switzerland

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonn..._F/A-18_Hornet
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing...F_Super_Hornet

Will you vote "Viper" or Hornet?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    GD/LM F-16 Fighting Falcon "Viper" (USA)
    33.33%
    MD/Boeing F/A-18 Hornet & Super Hornet (USA)
    66.67%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 05 Feb 16, 07:11.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

I'd just like to be the first to say this isn't fair. This could easily have been a quarter-final matchup. You're really making us work for it. Well done.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
      I'd just like to be the first to say this isn't fair. This could easily have been a quarter-final matchup. You're really making us work for it. Well done.
      The Quarter-Final? That's Round 5; with only 8 aircraft remaining out of 64!
      Many a good plane will go down before then.
      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

This is another one where your Dad missed something in your upbringing.

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I can't chose between them. I may go with the beauty of the F-16.

This should be informative at least for how they perform.
          http://fightersweep.com/?s=hornet+vs+viper
          "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

F-18 is bomber, and fighter, both, can be air-superiority and interceptor. And, mainly, it has two engines.

Susie
            Will no one tell me what she sings?--
            Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
            For old, unhappy, far-off things,
            And battles long ago:
            -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Suszie...

the RAAF thought EXACTLY the same thing when considering the purchace of both these warbirds..

Two engines ARE better than one.

HORNET all the way. A simple choice for me!
              My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
              GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
              Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

I went with the Viper. I just like it more, also its a AF bird rather than a navy duck...
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Excellent proven combat record, over 400,000 combat sorties, over 4000 built, excellent bang for the buck. The choice of many nations over the F-18, and not just for parading.
                  The F-18 may be a tad better overall if the F/A-18E/F is included, but that's not the issue at hand.

F-16 wins over the F-18.
                  "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

I have to go F-16, as it out performs the F-18. The only thing the F-18 can do that the F-16 can't is land on a carrier!

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Oh but it can. http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2012

It's just those navy pukes want something 'special'...

Twin engines is just asking for more fod damage. Suck a wrench and betcha that the broken blades will take out the other one...
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                        I have to go F-16, as it out performs the F-18. The only thing the F-18 can do that the F-16 can't is land on a carrier!
                        What about payload?

Comment

Tough call but in the end I had to go with the Honest here. The carrier capability, and wider variety of roles, tanker, EW, etc and the fact that we're including the Super Hornet barely pushes it ahead in spite of the ubiquitousness of the F-16.
                          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

This was simple (to me). The F16 beat the YF17 which begat the FA18.

Comment

too bad Lockheed didn't produce (nor USAF accept) the F-16 XL. one engine delta wing carring 6,8 TONS of ordnance! no XL, Super Hornet wins!

Last edited by GCoyote; 23 Jan 16, 11:13. Reason: wrong tags

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X