This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
    When will the campaign ribbon be presented? Also am I eligible to recieve one?
    The ribbons have already been designed so I anticipate we should be able to make the awards within a week or two of campaign closure. I hesitate to be more precise because that part of it is done by somebody else.

I have just looked at my spreadsheet (where I have recorded everyone's votes for all the rounds) and yes, you will be entitled to a ribbon.

Btw, if anyone else wishes to make enquiries regarding their status could they please PM me? (We have 127 members who participated in this tournament and potentially, they could all ask me in-thread here.) Thanks.

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
    I like the way these campaigns are run but if I had one complaint it would be that in the first round they are a lot of polls to go through. If there are going to be that many polls then they should be divided up at least for the first round.
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    How would that work?
    My thoughts exactly.

Coly, how would you suggest this is done?
    Normally, each round goes for two weeks. Splitting Round 1 in half would mean ... what ... having them separated in place? Two separate groups of polls running at the same time? IMO, that would be likely to get more gripes.
    Separating them in time? Two weeks for the first half followed by another two weeks for the second half? That, also, IMO would generate more gripes. A shitstorm of gripes.
    Shortening each Round to 1 week? I won't do that because too many people who might like to participate would miss out. Due to work, travel and other life commitments, some folks can only log in on an intermittent/infrequent basis. More gripes again. Besides, it's the earliest Rounds that are most in need of the two weeks, precisely because of the sheer number of polls in them.

I'd be interested in your ideas here.
    Last edited by panther3485; 24 Apr 16, 20:18.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

My thought was divide it up in time making making each set of 1st round polls lasting 10 days. Another possibility would be to not have so many entrants in a campaign so you wouldn't have so may polls in the first round.
      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

My thought was divide it up in time making making each set of 1st round polls lasting 10 days.
        If it's me running the campaign then the choices for poll durations in one such as this are 7 days, 14 days, 21 days etc. This is because I am (contrary to what some may believe) a very busy person employed full-time Monday to Friday, with a family and many other obligations. Nearly all my spare time - such as it is - occurs on weekends. So, the change-overs from one Round to the next have to be on weekends for me; due to the work involved.

To divide Round 1 up as you suggest makes 14 days into 28. Although the task of voting in 64 individual polls may seem a little bit onerous to some members I'm inclined to think I'd get more protests if I was to stretch Round 1 across 4 weeks instead of 2 (or 6 weeks instead of 3, in the case of this current campaign).

Another possibility would be to not have so many entrants in a campaign so you wouldn't have so may polls in the first round.
        As you no doubt already know - but it doesn't hurt to remind ourselves - in an elimination tournament such as this, the number of candidates has to be (for example) 16, or 32, or 64, or 128, or 256 etc.
        Some subjects can be adequately covered with 16 or 32. Some need 64 - which is 32 polls. Others need 128, which is 64 polls.
        Attempting to cover something like Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft over the entire history of military airplanes could not - IMO - have been adequately covered with 64 candidates.
        To do proper justice to the topic, the actual number needed was probably - again IMO - about 100 and cutting that number back to 64 would have invited howls of protest about all the planes I've missed that should have been in it.
        That means 128 whether I like it or not; even if I am then compelled to include a number of "weaker" candidates to fill the last couple of dozen slots.
        Last edited by panther3485; 25 Apr 16, 03:39.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Thank you Panther3485 I look forward to getting my ribbon.Sorry for the fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
            Thank you Panther3485 I look forward to getting my ribbon.Sorry for the fuss.
            No worries, my friend. Not having a go at you or anything like that; I was just trying to avoid too many members asking in-thread about their ribbon status etc. However, I would encourage anyone who wants to ask questions about their particular situation to PM me.

When I checked my Excel spreadsheet I was able to see that you have voted in all 7 Rounds of the main tournament and the 2nd Round of the Supplementary. That's 8 out of 9 Rounds completed, so you've got absolutely no problem getting a ribbon.

To all members

Further information coming soon, regarding what's required to qualify for each of the two types of ribbon in this campaign.
            This should be followed not long afterwards by a list of all qualifying members and which of the two ribbons each member will receive.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
              The ribbons have already been designed so I anticipate we should be able to make the awards within a week or two of campaign closure. I hesitate to be more precise because that part of it is done by somebody else.

I have just looked at my spreadsheet (where I have recorded everyone's votes for all the rounds) and yes, you will be entitled to a ribbon.

Btw, if anyone else wishes to make enquiries regarding their status could they please PM me? (We have 127 members who participated in this tournament and potentially, they could all ask me in-thread here.) Thanks.

My thoughts exactly.

Coly, how would you suggest this is done?
              Normally, each round goes for two weeks. Splitting Round 1 in half would mean ... what ... having them separated in place? Two separate groups of polls running at the same time? IMO, that would be likely to get more gripes.
              Separating them in time? Two weeks for the first half followed by another two weeks for the second half? That, also, IMO would generate more gripes. A shitstorm of gripes.
              Shortening each Round to 1 week? I won't do that because too many people who might like to participate would miss out. Due to work, travel and other life commitments, some folks can only log in on an intermittent/infrequent basis. More gripes again. Besides, it's the earliest Rounds that are most in need of the two weeks, precisely because of the sheer number of polls in them.

I'd be interested in your ideas here.
              As you've mentioned, the aircraft in this instance were divided into preliminary groups. So a simple advisory stating that is what has happened and then running, as you did, eliminations within each group so the final numbers were quartered. In other words, 4 sub-polls just so the punters don't get daunted.

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                As you've mentioned, the aircraft in this instance were divided into preliminary groups. So a simple advisory stating that is what has happened and then running, as you did, eliminations within each group so the final numbers were quartered. In other words, 4 sub-polls just so the punters don't get daunted.
                What was daunting in the first place?
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  What was daunting in the first place?
                  Wading through one list of 64 matches. After the first 20, by the time I'd refreshed the list people had added more comments and I wasn't sure if I'd completed those particular matches.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X