X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
    Well done, Paul. Pity you can't organise the next poll in Australia
    Perhaps someone will hire him to do an upcoming brokered convention?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post

The smaller images show actual ribbon size that will appear next to your name and avatar.
      The magnified images show what a terrific job was done on the artwork before shrinking to the required size.
      Obviously, much of the detail is lost in reduction but the finished result still looks really great IMO.

Special thanks to Garry (Achtung Baby) for assisting with the design of, and then actually producing, these ribbons based on my ideas.
      We experimented with both silver and gold against a sky blue background but when shrunk down to size the results lacked sufficient contrast to stand out.
      Using silver against a darker blue proved to be the best solution.
      Garry did all the real work and I think he has produced a 1st class result!
      Rep him please, guys.

Thanks, I really got my photoshop skills in better shape thanks to these ribbons. Like you said, the design itself wasn't so bad, but reducing the ribbon size was more problematic. At the end of the day, they look great when viewed in the smaller size, which is where it really counts.

Appreciate the campaign, a pleasure as always.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

2nd and final Supplementary now open

OK guys,

For those members who are interested,
        the second and final Supplementary Round is now open.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
          Thanks, I really got my photoshop skills in better shape thanks to these ribbons. Like you said, the design itself wasn't so bad, but reducing the ribbon size was more problematic. At the end of the day, they look great when viewed in the smaller size, which is where it really counts.

Appreciate the campaign, a pleasure as always.
          From experience it's easier to use a good vector graphics package. That way you can draw the things huge, then shrink them down without loosing proportions, detail etc and only when you've got them right save them as a rastor image
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Fantastic job as usual on the polls, Panther!

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
              Yaaayyyyy!!!!!

We have a winner!!!!!

The winner of our

Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft campaign is

candidate #76 ....

Douglas C-47 Skytrain/Dakota

Further to this and as we all know by now,
              the Douglas DC-3/C-47 also came out tops in our two Supplementary Rounds.

Therefore, its status as the truly worthy winner of this tournament remains unchallenged and
              - so far as the collective will of our participating members, at least, is concerned -
              unquestionable.

Announcement on award of ribbons following.

"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

A great and informative exercise!

Thanks to Panther and Achtung for the considerable and worthy efforts in giving us all something more to look forward to for our community....

Also, thanks to all the participants, and the people that posted such material in an effort to leave us all better informed than when we began!

Drusus
                My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Awarding of ribbons

Hi everyone,

I would first like to thank ALL the members who participated in our recently completed campaign,
                  Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft.

I can hire the hall, set up the tables and arrange for the music, food and booze but if nobody turns up there ain't no party!

A total of 127 ACG members participated and between them, cast no less than 10,600 votes (10,419 in the main contest + another 181 in the Supplementaries).
                  I think this might be some sort of record, with or without the Supps.
                  At least, I don't recall us having topped 10,000 votes in any previous tournament?

As you guys know by now, there are two versions of the ribbon to be awarded:
                  The standard version with single bar at each end
                  The "+ Bar" version with two at each end

These awards are to be made on the following basis:

Members participating in 6 or 7 Rounds
                  - ANY 6 or 7 out of the entire 9 -
                  get the standard campaign ribbon with single silver bars (one bar each end).

Members participating in 8 or 9 Rounds
                  get the "+ Bar" version; that is, the version with double silver bars (two bars each end).

Members participating in less than 6 out of the 9 Rounds should not expect to be eligible for a ribbon.
                  However, and as with previous tournaments those members who fall 1 or 2 rounds short
                  may be considered for the basic ribbon IF they have a strong case based on genuine extenuating circumstances.
                  Each case is to be assessed individually at discretion, and the decision will be final with no further appeal.

Please see the next post for the list of those deemed eligible.
                  Last edited by panther3485; 01 May 16, 05:54.

Comment

Ribbon award list

Out of the 127 participating members,
                    no less than 91 are eligible for an award.

The following 21 members have earned the Standard Ribbon:

Arnold J Rimmer
                    At ease
                    Dibble201Bty
                    Drusus Nero
                    GMan88
                    grishnak
                    Hanov
                    Hop
                    Javaman
                    mcpike
                    midaeu
                    pinzer
                    popuptarget
                    sebfrench76
                    Skoblin
                    Surrey
                    TacCovert4
                    Terry Duncan
                    The Harrappan
                    VieuxChat
                    warmoviebuff

The following 70 members have earned the Ribbon + Bar:

101combatvet
                    17thfabn
                    Achtung Baby
                    AdrianE
                    Afghanisdan
                    andrewza
                    Arthwys
                    BELGRAVE
                    Biscuit
                    BobTheBarbarian
                    broderickwells
                    Bwaha
                    CarpeDiem
                    Checkertail20
                    Daemon of Decay
                    DeltaOne
                    Desiree Clary
                    Destroyer25
                    DingBat
                    drivin-fool
                    Freightshaker
                    frisco17
                    Frtigern
                    G David Bock
                    GCoyote
                    Gixxer86g
                    gregoire
                    grognard
                    Half Pint John
                    iron
                    JBark
                    johns624
                    jonny87kz
                    Jose50
                    Kendrick
                    kurt tank 152
                    lakechampainer
                    lcm1
                    Lokinar
                    Major Sennef
                    MarkV
                    Marmat
                    Merkava188
                    Michele
                    Mountain Man
                    Nick the Noodle
                    nikolas93TS
                    panther3485
                    Percy Coburg
                    Persephone
                    Post Captain
                    Prospekt Mira
                    Pruitt
                    R. Evans
                    Rutger
                    Salinator
                    SeaDog48
                    sherlock
                    skiplc
                    slick24
                    Steve573
                    T. A. Gardner
                    the ace
                    The Doctor
                    The Exorcist
                    The Ibis
                    Tsar
                    Urban hermit
                    von Aicha
                    Warbird

Congratulations to all of you!

I shall now submit this list to those "higher ups" who can assist me with placing the ribbons on everyone's profile.
                    I can't say exactly how long that will take so please be patient.

Last edited by panther3485; 10 May 16, 04:45.

Comment

And I do hope you get an oak leaf (MID) to put on one of your ribbons.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                        And I do hope you get an oak leaf (MID) to put on one of your ribbons.
                        Panther is the only ACG member to have the honour of receiving two Distinguished Service Awards, his has a gold star in the centre.
                        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                        Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Update - awarding of campaign ribbons

Hi everyone,

With my recent "promotion" to Super-Mod comes the ability to make ribbon awards myself, instead of having to pester a Super or Admin to do it for me.
                          Things are very full-on for me right now but I should be able to have this done for all eligible members in Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft some time over the next 2-3 days; so everyone should have received their ribbon by Wed 11 May if not sooner.
                          (The senior Staff member coaching me has placed the appropriate ribbon in my profile as a demo. You can now see what it looks like.)

Thanks again to all of you, both for your participation and for your patience.

I'm already thinking of the next campaign.

Best regards,
                          Paul

Comment

Just thought I'd show off my shiny NEW RIBBON for those not able or unwilling to scroll up...

Quick ideas for the next campaign!..........

Most significant/influential single person of ww2.
                            Single most infl;uential event/campaign of ww2.
                            Most significant single ship/boat action/event/occurrance of ww2
                            Worst military commander of ww2
                            Most influential infantry weapon of ww2, (and if the Russians don't have a damned good chance at this one, I'll eat my shorts!)
                            Best nose art/aircraft name....(a duel contest)
                            The most influential and important statement made by ANYONE from ww2.
                            The Minor Nation that had the most significant effect on the course of the war, (positive or negative effect)

I can come up with more. The possiblities are large.

Thanx Panther! Your ribbons and promotions are well deserved. You, Sir, are a credit to this fine website of ours, and an example to the community at large on this website and elsewhere!

Drusus
                            My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                            GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                            Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Thanks Chris,

There are some good ideas among those suggestions.
                              For the next campaign I'm thinking something to do with warships would be very reasonable as we have done land and air warfare stuff a fair bit. A couple of other members already have some good ideas along these lines so I may be working with them on it. However, even if they are unable to spare the time I've already begun with some basic ideas on that theme so I've decided it's to happen anyway.

Having said all this, if I get enough help or if somebody else wants to do something separately I guess there's nothing stopping us from having more than one campaign running at the same time? (Call me an optimist if you like. )

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                              Just thought I'd show off my shiny NEW RIBBON for those not able or unwilling to scroll up...

Quick ideas for the next campaign!..........

Most significant/influential single person of ww2.
                              Single most infl;uential event/campaign of ww2.
                              Most significant single ship/boat action/event/occurrance of ww2
                              Worst military commander of ww2
                              Most influential infantry weapon of ww2, (and if the Russians don't have a damned good chance at this one, I'll eat my shorts!)
                              Best nose art/aircraft name....(a duel contest)
                              The most influential and important statement made by ANYONE from ww2.
                              The Minor Nation that had the most significant effect on the course of the war, (positive or negative effect)

I can come up with more. The possiblities are large.

Thanx Panther! Your ribbons and promotions are well deserved. You, Sir, are a credit to this fine website of ours, and an example to the community at large on this website and elsewhere!

Drusus

Comment

Integrated poll and articles

I've been wondering lately if maybe there should be some 'polls' integrated with a few of the WHG's magazines? Articles in the mags integrated with the poll(s).

Say, something like Best* Light-Medium Attack/Bomber aircraft of WWII. Could include single-engine, but was thinking more along the lines of 2-3 engine designs. Would likely span a few months/issues time frame, or more, allowing for articles in a couple of issues of say Aviation History, WWII History, and Military History magazines.

Idea being to generate more interest and readership of both the mags and the ACG forums.

Might have similar for "Best" fighter and or "best" single-engine attack.

* or "Most significant and/or Influential".

TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X