This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction - Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft

Hi once again members, and a warm welcome to our 3rd Most Significant/Influential tournament, the
    Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft campaign.

As with the previous campaign for Most Significant/Influential Fighter Plane, there are 128 candidates in Round 1, with a total of 7 Rounds to decide which was the most significant and/or influential multi-role military aircraft of all time.

Once again, I think it's worth reminding ourselves that this whole concept of most significant/influential is not the same as "greatest" or "best". It's a rather different ballgame.

Furthermore, in our quest to determine which of 128 basic types was the most significant/influential multi role aircraft - starting from WW1 and finishing more or less in the current era - we have to deal with the way in which the very concept of "multi role" has itself evolved very considerably over that period of time.

It's possible you may experience a headache or two with some of the pairings, when trying to decide which of two types is more significant/influential as a multi-role aircraft; especially when the two planes in question are quite dissimilar in function. It could be quite a challenge to see past that dissimilarity and evaluate them purely on your opinion of their significance/influence as a whole and in the bigger picture rather than within the specific and somewhat different fields they might, in some cases, represent. Nevertheless, this is what you will be asked to somehow do.

On the matter of what is meant by the words "significant" and "influential" in the context of this campaign, I don't think I need to say too much about that. You guys can make up your own minds how to apply these criteria.

On the flip side, don't forget this whole tournament is supposed to be fun too. So it doesn't do to get too serious about any of it. If the going gets a tad heavy between the ears just relax, bump yourself down a gear or two and go with what feels right for you.

The intention is that there will be a ribbon for this campaign. To qualify for the ribbon, the minimum requirement is that members should participate in no less than 6 of the 7 rounds. Any appeals based on extenuating circumstances will be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis. In all such cases, the Staff decision will be final.

EDIT: A reminder; but especially for anyone who might be new to this: There are 64 polls in the first Round, spread over 3 pages. You're not finished at the bottom of Page 1.

Enjoy!

Best to all,
    panther3485
    Last edited by panther3485; 07 Dec 15, 06:29.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Thanks for the effort you have put in. And thanks for including the Thud

Comment

Extension for Round 1

I have added some extra time (just under 2 weeks) to the closing date for Round 1.
      This is to compensate for the week that was lost when ACG went down in December; plus a bit extra to allow for folks being away over the holiday season.

So, if anyone who has not yet participated still wishes to do so, they don't have to panic about fitting it in over the next 2 days.
      They have about 2 weeks now.

Also, members who have voted in some of the matches and might wish to vote in more of them can relax too, with the extra time this allows.

Assuming all goes well, the plan is for Round 2 to be launched over the weekend 15-16 January.

Best to everyone, and hope you all have a happy & rewarding 2016.
      panther3485
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

must spread rep before repping panther
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Tournament milestone?

Many of the members participating in this campaign will recall the previous Most Significant/Influential campaign for fighter planes. When Round 1 of that campaign closed, 4,667 votes had been cast. I remember at the time, thinking to myself how good it might have been to see 5,000 or more (me being the kind of guy I am; always wanting more; hard to satisfy and all that. )

In Round 1 of the current campaign, I'm very pleased to say we have now, within the last 24 hours, cracked the 5,000 mark.
          Gotta be happy with that, I reckon.
          Haven't been around ACG long enough to know if that's any kind of "milestone" but I must admit I'm curious.
          Last edited by panther3485; 08 Jan 16, 08:03.

Comment

Panther, this has been a stimulating exercise in group dynamics.

All your effort and hours on the keyboard paying off handsomely!

I have enjoyed every post so far.
            My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
            GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
            Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
              Panther, this has been a stimulating exercise in group dynamics.

All your effort and hours on the keyboard paying off handsomely!

I have enjoyed every post so far.
              Thanks Chris. I get quite a bit of pleasure both from running these tournaments and participating in them. I also get to expand my horizons of knowledge and understanding in the process; not only from the research involved but also, and in very good measure, the considerable knowledge of other members.
              If all the participants are getting some value out of it as well, then that's a win-win for everybody I'd say.

Comment

Less than 48 hours ....

Less than 48 hours to go before the closure of Round 1.

Out of the 64 matches, two are really close (within 1 or 2 votes) ...
                • Group B: Mitsubishi G3M "Nell" - 38 votes; vs Savoia-Marchetti SM-79 Sparviero - 36 votes.
                • Group H: GD/Grumman F-111 Aardvark - 44 votes; vs Panavia Tornado - 42 votes.

... and one match is currently tied.
                • Group F: Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar" - 36 votes; vs Cessna O-1 Bird Dog - 36 votes.

IMO at this late stage, these are the only three with much likelihood of a change or swing in the winner.
                In the case of any match or matches being tied by the time Round 1 closes, I shall adjudicate on the winner of those matches.
                Most likely, I'll give it to whichever one I voted for.
                If you don't want to see that happen and you have a vote left, use it to help decide the outcome/s beyond doubt.

Last edited by panther3485; 13 Jan 16, 10:30.

Comment

Will subsequent rounds be shorter? I have the feeling that for some aircraft all that can be said has been said.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    Will subsequent rounds be shorter? I have the feeling that for some aircraft all that can be said has been said.
                    Outages aside, yes.
                    First of all, Round 1 has suffered from one-and-a-half weeks worth of outages. That on its own was quite disruptive.
                    Secondly, it took place over the Christmas/New-Year holiday period.
                    Finally, as with the previous Fighters campaign, in the first place I had allowed a bit more time for Round 1 anyway because of its sheer size.

The combined result is that this first round will have run for about 6 weeks by the time it closes. My original intention was that it would run for no more than 4 weeks.

The intended duration of Round 2 is 3 weeks, with 2 weeks for all subsequent rounds. However, this whole outages thing has made me a tad nervous.
                    I'm wondering if the problems will continue and whether I should or should not make allowances in advance.

Comment

Another outage ... this time, less than 24 hours but still enough to scare me!

I need the forums up and running continuously for about the next day or two, to create the polls and matches and edit the opening posts for each thread in the next round; due to start before this weekend is over.
                      Here's hoping ACG doesn't drop out during that time at least or my work could be seriously disrupted and delayed.
                      Better still if the forums don't go down at all. Am I asking too much? I guess we'll see.

The good part of this last bit of downtime is that I've used some of it to figure out the Round 2 matches.
                      I have also allowed for possible variations in the 3 polls that were either drawn or within a couple of votes as of Thursday morning.
                      So if those outcomes change by the time Round 1 closes, I have the "alternate options" ready.

Fingers crossed, guys.

Don't go down again, ACG!!! Please!!!!
                      Last edited by panther3485; 15 Jan 16, 08:00.

Comment

Is there anything to be done about posters who merely waste forum space and bandwidth merely telling us what they have voted for without giving any opinions, useful comments or information?
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          Is there anything to be done about posters who merely waste forum space and bandwidth merely telling us what they have voted for without giving any opinions, useful comments or information?
                          You mean, "Plane X for me!" or simply, "Plane X"?

Well, first of all I do that myself a little bit (although most times I put in some comments/reasons as well).
                          Secondly, in a small way it does kinda help me to keep my spreadsheet up-to-date on an ongoing basis; alerting me to another member jumping in.
                          I continuously update not only the scores for each aircraft but who has voted and who hasn't, as well as what polls each member has/has not voted in, throughout the course of each Round.
                          When a member votes without posting anything at all I have to rely more on regular searches for my updates.
                          So from my PoV at least, it's not necessarily such a bad thing. I do understand your point, though.

IMO, the best approach - if we are to do anything at all - is to encourage members to comment on their favoured aircraft or give some sort of reasons for their choice.
                          Many members do in fact offer their reasons anyway; and some obviously enjoy engaging in continued discussion vis--vis the pros and cons of each aircraft type.
                          Some tend not to say much but if anything is to be tried, then gentle encouragement at the most would be my favoured method. I don't think I'd want to take it any further than that.
                          I wouldn't be happy with the idea of trying to push anyone outside of their comfort zone. Let the members continue to do what feels right for them, I say.

Nevertheless and regardless of all this, I would like to thank you once again for your enthusiasm and very high level of on-going support both before and during this tournament. Your input is highly valued.
                          Last edited by panther3485; 15 Jan 16, 20:17.

Comment

What will the ribbon look like? And how votes is considered participation?

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
                              What will the ribbon look like? And how votes is considered participation?
                              The design of the ribbon for these tournaments is usually decided at the end.

As stated in the opening post (see above) the minimum level of participation required to get the ribbon is to vote in 6 out of the 7 Rounds.
                              In other words, you can miss a number of polls here and there but if you miss more than one Round you will not be eligible for the ribbon.
                              For example, if a member voted in 59 out of the 64 matches in Round 1 - either by accident or because they chose to abstain from 5 of them - that's not a problem because they have still participated in that Round.
                              Last edited by panther3485; 16 Jan 16, 21:01.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X