Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp B - Armstrong Whitworth Whitley (Britain) vs Bristol Blenheim (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 1 Grp B - Armstrong Whitworth Whitley (Britain) vs Bristol Blenheim (Britain)

Round 1, Group B: Armstrong Whitworth Whitley (Britain) vs Bristol Blenheim (Britain)

Candidate #30 - Armstrong Whitworth Whitley (Britain)

Service Intro - 1937
    Roles - bomber; anti-submarine; maritime patrol; parachute training; transport; glider tug
    Quantity Produced - 1,814
    User Nations - Britain

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstr...tworth_Whitley

Candidate #31 - Bristol Blenheim (Britain)

Service Intro - 1937
    Roles - light bomber; long-range fighter; night fighter; maritime patrol; target tug
    Quantity Produced - 4,422
    User Nations - Britain + about 15 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Blenheim

Will you vote for the Whitley or the Blenheim?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Armstrong Whitworth Whitley (Britain)
    14.12%
    Bristol Blenheim (Britain)
    85.88%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 17 Dec 15, 12:12.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

The Whitworth was used in more roles.
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Both very worthy aircraft. While the Whitley appears to have had more roles, some of them were very "secondary" in nature. The Blenheim had just enough primary roles and for me, the greater numbers (almost 2-and-a-half to one) give it the edge here.
      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
        Both very worthy aircraft. While the Whitley appears to have had more roles, some of them were very "secondary" in nature. The Blenheim had just enough primary roles and for me, the greater numbers (almost 2-and-a-half to one) give it the edge here.
        Two Blenheim roles missed
        Maritime patrol (120 in RCAF as Bolingbroke Mk IV)
        Target tug (also Bolingbroke in RCAF)
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Two Blenheim roles missed
          Maritime patrol (120 in RCAF as Bolingbroke Mk IV)
          Target tug (also Bolingbroke in RCAF)
          Thanks. Fixed.

Comment

How can one not vote for the "flying barn door".

The Whitley was far more important than any other bomber of its day, simply because it was using Merlin engines, had good range and avionics, and was bug free, genrally. A reliable aircraft (genrally speaking), it was the first aircraft to conduct a raid on Berlin, (albeit a leaflet raid), on the night of 1/2 October 1939. A harbinger of things to come.

The Whitley was kept in production when other programs ran behind schedule. We might have had nothing at all in 1939 but for it.

Unfortunately, it comes up against the early war workhorse blenheim. no contest, , but the Whitley was available when not much else was.

I salute the Barn Door because of it...
            My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
            GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
            Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
              How can one not vote for the "flying barn door".

The Whitley was far more important than any other bomber of its day, simply because it was using Merlin engines, had good range and avionics, and was bug free, genrally. A reliable aircraft (genrally speaking), it was the first aircraft to conduct a raid on Berlin, (albeit a leaflet raid), on the night of 1/2 October 1939. A harbinger of things to come.

The Whitley was kept in production when other programs ran behind schedule. We might have had nothing at all in 1939 but for it.

Unfortunately, it comes up against the early war workhorse blenheim. no contest, , but the Whitley was available when not much else was.

I salute the Barn Door because of it...
              As the OP illustrates the Whitley could and did use different engines. It was from the Mk IV that Merlins were used.

The great feature of the Whitley was its ruggedness and ability to sustain massive damage and still bring its crew home but for this, Gibson and Cheshire for example, would not have survived to fly Lancasters.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

I wonder what the result would be of a four engined 're-engineer' for the Barn door?

Would we be referring to the Whitley as we do the Lancaster?

Just a thought, not intended for serious consideration.

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

I wonder what the result would be of a four engined 're-engineer' for the Barn door?

Would we be referring to the Whitley as we do the Lancaster?

Just a thought, not intended for serious consideration.
                  Sort of like Vickers did to produce the Windsor? How the Wellington might have gone.http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/vickers_windsor.php

Comment

A 4 engined Whitley was mooted and proposed as A.W.42 to meet specification B.12/36 Supermarine also proposed a four engined bomber to meet this but the Stirling got the contract.

Comment

You know Mark, it does not matter what i ask or how obscure the subject matter, you, my intelligent hombre', are always there with a creditable answer.

Salute'!

I have yet to have you comment on my "soviet submarines" thread! I fully expected a barrage of corrections for a thread packed with information as that one is. No matter, maybe submarines are just not your 'cup of tea"?

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

You know Mark, it does not matter what i ask or how obscure the subject matter, you, my intelligent hombre', are always there with a creditable answer.

Salute'!

I have yet to have you comment on my "soviet submarines" thread! I fully expected a barrage of corrections for a thread packed with information as that one is. No matter, maybe submarines are just not your 'cup of tea"?
                        Well I try to be credible at least. I'm afraid my knowledge of Soviet Subs is about on the same level as that of medieval heraldry.

Comment

Whitley only multirole since it failed to meet its primary duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Prospekt Mira View Post
                            Whitley only multirole since it failed to meet its primary duty.
                            Can you explain how providing the backbone of the RAF's bombing campaign for the first half of the war was failing "to meet its primary duty."?

Comment

I heard the Finns also operated the Blenheim.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X