Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp C - Dornier Do 17-217 (Germany) vs Handley Page Hampden (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dutched View Post
    Werner Held-Holger Neuroth quote: translated: The greater range and larger fire power were the only plus sides of this variant (N). Quote: translated: (speaking of the N variant) A major drawback was the low speed and the lacking of manoeuvrablity. Both in straight line speed and climbing speed she (the N) was inferior to both British Lancaster and Halifax. Max speed is quoted as 290 Mph. Which is lower than your sources.
    At what altitude? Green gives 292 mph as the maximum cruising speed at 17,715 ft Max speed of 320 at 19,658 ft but max speed at sea level of only 264 mph. Given the performance of the Lancaster as reported in its tactical trials Report no.47 Air Fighting Development unit this is definitely faster than the Lancaster at all altitudes
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      At what altitude? Green gives 292 mph as the maximum cruising speed at 17,715 ft Max speed of 320 at 19,658 ft but max speed at sea level of only 264 mph. Given the performance of the Lancaster as reported in its tactical trials Report no.47 Air Fighting Development unit this is definitely faster than the Lancaster at all altitudes
      What can I say? If the German night fighter pilots were not enthusiastic about the plane and thought it slow on the climb and lacking in speed even Green's statistics won't change that.
      The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by dutched View Post
        What can I say? If the German night fighter pilots were not enthusiastic about the plane and thought it slow on the climb and lacking in speed even Green's statistics won't change that.
        Can you provide evidence that this was the pilots' opinions? Give more detail about your source.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Dornier Do 17/215/217 (Germany)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Can you provide evidence that this was the pilots' opinions? Give more detail about your source.
            If it would be of any help to you Wespennest Leeuwarden, It is a three volume work on German night fighter operations over The Netherlands. If I had the time I would look up who made the statement, but it is over 1,000 pages of reading. If it is of major interest to you I will look it up for you and translate the passage. If it is only a passing interest. Sorry.
            The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X