Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp C - Kawanishi H6K "Mavis" (Japan) vs Short Sunderland (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 1 Grp C - Kawanishi H6K "Mavis" (Japan) vs Short Sunderland (Britain)

Round 1, Group C: Kawanishi H6K "Mavis" (Japan) vs Short Sunderland (Britain)

Candidate #44 - Kawanishi H6K "Mavis" (Japan)

Service Intro - 1938
    Roles - maritime patrol; long-range recon; bomber; transport
    Quantity Produced - 215
    User Nations - Japan

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawanishi_H6K

Candidate #48 - Short Sunderland (Britain)

Service Intro - 1938
    Roles - long-range maritime patrol; anti-submarine; air-sea rescue; recon; transport; airliner
    Quantity Produced - 749
    User Nations - Britain, Australia, Canada, France, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Sunderland

Will you vote for the Mavis or the Sunderland?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Kawanishi H6K "Mavis" (Japan)
    11.54%
    Short Sunderland (Britain)
    88.46%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 04 Dec 15, 20:57.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

No contest here. The Sunderland for its role in the U-Boat war.
    Divine Mercy Sunday: 4/21/2020 (https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message) The Miracle of Lanciano: Jesus' Real Presence (https://web.archive.org/web/20060831...fcontents.html)

Comment

Te Kaw, had much better range, ceiling and bomb load. IF this was just a beauty contest then the Suderland hands down.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Not much to choose between here. Both fulfilled the same roles with good effectiveness.

Comment

The flying porcupine.

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Went with the Mavis. It was just a little better.
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Went Short. Better design.

Comment

Sunderland by a country mile, IMO.
                "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

"Mavis" could also deliver torpedo attacks. Excellent torpedo attacks, as the slower speed and ability to get as low in the water as possible almost guaranteed a 'fish' that would not only arm itself properly, but would not dive too deep either and go wild.

This is the best apir yet in my humble view. The Mavis was a vital component for the IJN, just as the sunderland was vital for anti-sub work.

Abstain. Neither deserves to lose. I'll wait for a definative comment. the poll closes in another 13 days, so plenty of time for a 'Gem' comment to swing my vote.

Swing vote abstain.
                  My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                  GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                  Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                    "Mavis" could also deliver torpedo attacks. Excellent torpedo attacks, as the slower speed and ability to get as low in the water as possible almost guaranteed a 'fish' that would not only arm itself properly, but would not dive too deep either and go wild.

This is the best apir yet in my humble view. The Mavis was a vital component for the IJN, just as the sunderland was vital for anti-sub work.

Abstain. Neither deserves to lose. I'll wait for a definative comment. the poll closes in another 13 days, so plenty of time for a 'Gem' comment to swing my vote.

Swing vote abstain.
                    Good advice. I'll comply
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Well an aircraft that can fight off eight Ju 88s and still bring its crew home has to have something going for it. Another one was attacked by six Ju 88s and shot down three of them.

http://ww2today.com/2nd-june-1943-ba...rland-v-ju-88s

I believe the Mavis was vulnerable to fighter attack which limited where it could safely operate.
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

most Japanese aircraft, the Mavis was short-production and rather narrow in usefulness

I'll go with the Sunderland

Susie
                        Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                        Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                        For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                        And battles long ago:
                        -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

The Short product.
                          The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Neither influential since flying boats were in the military end-days when these were develope. Sunderland at least had impact with closing sub gap.

Comment

The Short Sunderland was a great flying . It enabled the Allies to defeat the U-boats and also saw service during the Berlin airlift.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X