Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp G - McDonnell F-101 Voodoo (USA) vs Republic F-105 Thunderchief (USA)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rnd 1 Grp G - McDonnell F-101 Voodoo (USA) vs Republic F-105 Thunderchief (USA)

    Round 1, Group G: McDonnell F-101 Voodoo (USA) vs Republic F-105 Thunderchief ("Thud") (USA)





    Candidate #101 - McDonnell F-101 Voodoo (USA)

    Service Intro - 1957
    Roles - fighter-bomber; interceptor; recon
    Quantity Produced - 807
    User Nations - USA, Canada, Taiwan

    For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_F-101_Voodoo









    Candidate #104 - Republic F-105 Thunderchief ("Thud") (USA)

    Service Intro - 1958
    Roles - fighter-bomber; wild weasel; recon
    Quantity Produced - 833
    User Nations - USA

    For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republ...5_Thunderchief









    Will you vote for the Voodoo or the "Thud"?


    Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!


    Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?


    Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    79
    McDonnell F-101 Voodoo (USA)
    17.72%
    14
    Republic F-105 Thunderchief ("Thud") (USA)
    82.28%
    65

    The poll is expired.

    Last edited by panther3485; 04 Dec 15, 06:31.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

  • #2
    THUD!
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

    Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

    by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

    Comment


    • #3
      The Thud was certainly a formidable aircraft, but the Voodoo was more widely used.
      The F101.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

      Comment


      • #4
        105 due to combat record and looks.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

        youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          105 due to combat record and looks.
          Still thinking about the looks but I'm inclined to agree on the combat record.
          Thud it is.
          "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
          Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

          Comment


          • #6
            The F-101 was really a "red headed step child" for the USAF. The design started out as the XF-88 Voodoo and intended as a long range bomber escort.



            But, that plane was such a dog it got dropped just as the earlier Bell XP-83 had.

            XP-83


            Mac tried again with the F-101. When it became obvious to SAC that there was no way an F-101 could escort bombers on intercontinental raids, the plane was handed off to TAC as a fighter bomber. There it languished really unwanted because its ability as a fighter bomber was crude at best. Eventually, it found a use as a dedicated photo recon aircraft as it had two things going for it: Speed in a straight line and lots of fuel. That allowed it to zip over targets at high mach numbers and not run out of gas before it got the photos.

            Comment


            • #7
              It breaks my heart, my Dad wrenched on F-101Bs at Tyndall.

              The Thud is the clear winner.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

              BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

              BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

              Comment


              • #8
                This is absolutely no contest. The Thud clearly is the more significant plane. Plus it deserves to advance far in this tournament because it was left out of the fighter tournament (this is the last time I will carp on this, panther ).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                  This is absolutely no contest. The Thud clearly is the more significant plane. Plus it deserves to advance far in this tournament because it was left out of the fighter tournament (this is the last time I will carp on this, panther ).
                  Looks like the Thud is very well in front here anyway (currently 46 votes to 10). It's a bit early to completely write off the Voodoo but a heck of a lot more members would need to start voting for it for anything to change now.

                  And hey, I put this one up especially for YOU, Kevin. I've never forgotten how disappointed you were when the 105 didn't make the cut for the fighters tournament.
                  "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                  Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Thud was a bomber with an "F" designation. It was designed as a nuclear strike aircraft. It flew conventional strike missions in Vietnam. IIRC it had more air-to-air gun kills than any other US aircraft in Vietnam. It also flew Wild Weasel and the equivalent of Iron Hand missions. Half of the F-105 production run was lost in Southeast Asia.

                    The Voodoo was designed as an interceptor, capable of firing nuclear-tipped Genie missiles. It served as a long-range strategic escort fighter, fighter-bomber, nuclear strike bomber and photo recon aircraft.

                    The Thud was a great aircraft. It just wasn't as multi-role as the Voodoo.
                    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      Looks like the Thud is very well in front here anyway (currently 46 votes to 10). It's a bit early to completely write off the Voodoo but a heck of a lot more members would need to start voting for it for anything to change now.

                      And hey, I put this one up especially for YOU, Kevin. I've never forgotten how disappointed you were when the 105 didn't make the cut for the fighters tournament.
                      I appreciate that. On behalf of my dear departed dad, thank you. He flew the Thud for three years out of Thailand while my family lived on a base in Japan. That plane was a big part of my childhood.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                        The Thud was a bomber with an "F" designation. It was designed as a nuclear strike aircraft. It flew conventional strike missions in Vietnam. IIRC it had more air-to-air gun kills than any other US aircraft in Vietnam. It also flew Wild Weasel and the equivalent of Iron Hand missions. Half of the F-105 production run was lost in Southeast Asia.

                        The Voodoo was designed as an interceptor, capable of firing nuclear-tipped Genie missiles. It served as a long-range strategic escort fighter, fighter-bomber, nuclear strike bomber and photo recon aircraft.

                        The Thud was a great aircraft. It just wasn't as multi-role as the Voodoo.
                        On the down side of that, the only role the Voodoo really performed well was photo recon. As a fighter and interceptor it was never really up to par.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The Doc is very persuasive. I was going for the Thud until I scrolled down the page.


                          I will still go with the THUD, even if it was a might heavy at 40,000 pounds. Unwanted "Voodoos" went to the RCAF, (always a sign of obselete equipment before its time), so the F-105 it is...
                          My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

                          Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                          GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                          Lincoln-Douglas Debates

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            On the down side of that, the only role the Voodoo really performed well was photo recon. As a fighter and interceptor it was never really up to par.
                            It was also a cool looking aircraft and might have been the inspiration for McDonnell's next jet fighter, the F-4 Phantom II.

                            Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                            The Doc is very persuasive. I was going for the Thud until I scrolled down the page.


                            I will still go with the THUD, even if it was a might heavy at 40,000 pounds. Unwanted "Voodoos" went to the RCAF, (always a sign of obselete equipment before its time), so the F-105 it is...
                            I didnít say I liked the Voodoo more than the Thud. I love the Thud. It is one of my favorite aircraft. It's just hard to categorize it.

                            The Thud did one thing extremely well... deliver ordinance on target. The Voodoo did a lot more thing, most of them poorly.
                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Where's the Who gives a toss option?

                              Went with voodoo logic...

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X