Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp G - Dassault Mirage III/V/2000 (France) vs Grumman Intruder & Prowler (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 1 Grp G - Dassault Mirage III/V/2000 (France) vs Grumman Intruder & Prowler (USA)

Round 1, Group G: Dassault Mirage III/V/2000 (France) vs Grumman A-6 Intruder & EA-6B Prowler (USA)

Candidate #107 - Dassault Mirage III/V/2000 (France)

Service Intro - 1961
    Roles - Fighter; ground attack; nuclear strike; recon; trainer
    Quantity Produced - 2,605
    User Nations - France + about 25 other countries

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mirage_III
    https://www.google.com.au/#q=dassault+mirage+V
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mirage_2000

Candidate #111 - Grumman A-6 Intruder & EA-6B Prowler (USA)

Service Intro - 1963
    Roles - all-weather attack; EW; tanker
    Quantity Produced - 693
    User Nations - USA

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_A-6_Intruder
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northr..._EA-6B_Prowler

Will you vote for the Mirage III/V/2000 or the Intruder/Prowler?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Dassault Mirage III/V/2000 (France)
    66.67%
    Grumman A-6 Intruder & EA-6B Prowler (USA)
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 08 Dec 15, 00:34.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

You forgot about the tanker KA6.

Comment

The choice from Hell! I finally went Intruder.
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

A-6 = Ugly

EA-6 = Double Ugly.

That was their Navy nicknames...

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
          You forgot about the tanker KA6.
          Thanks. "tanker" added to the roles for the Intruder.
          Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Mirage of course!!
            Saved the ass of Israel.
            And even if taxied,it seems to fly.

The Intruder is a jewel,but is not made in France.
            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Paul can you send me your Dad's phone number. I need to have a serious talk with him.

The Frenchie
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Two very different aircraft, unfair match up in my opinion.
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                  Two very different aircraft, unfair match up in my opinion.
                  There are quite a few "dissimilar" pairings in this first round; some of them more dissimilar than this.
                  You can expect more in successive rounds so better brace yourself, my friend.

BTW, there's no such thing as "fair" or "unfair" in this contest.
                  All there will be is a winning candidate at the end.
                  1 winner out of 128 types.

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  Paul can you send me your Dad's phone number. I need to have a serious talk with him.

The Frenchie
                  Last edited by panther3485; 08 Dec 15, 08:38.

Comment

Influence, eh?
                    Mirage, its a household name in some parts of the world.

Comment

The A-6 may be ugly, but when it cones to influence and versatility, it wins hands down...
                      The A6 has proven exceptional in both areas. The design has been adapted several times to include the A6B, a Surface-to-Air Missile (SAM) suppression aircraft, the A6C TRIM, the first aircraft equipped with electro-optical sensors (precursor of the A6E Target Recognition Attack Multi-sensor or TRAM), and of course the KA6D) tanker aircraft. The mission capabilities have also been continuously updated to include state of the art avionics and sensors. The Intruder started with a Digital Integrated Attack and Navigation Equipment (DIANE) system using drum computers and separate track and navigation radars. The system now employs an integrated search/track radar, Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR) and Laser sensors used for target identification and self contained Laser Guided Bomb delivery. The System Weapons Improvement Program modified the aircraft to include a 1553 digital data transfer bus. This upgrade enables the Intruder to employ multiple advanced precision guided missiles for attacking ground and sea based targets and also anti-radiation missiles for conducting SAM suppression missions. Many Intruders have been further modified to incorporate Night Vision Goggle cockpits, enabling aircrews to employ an additional sensor, Night Vision goggles, in prosecuting night multiplane attacks.
                      One of the main advantages of the Intruder has always been its ability to carry a lot of ordnance, both tonnage and variety, to the target. The aircraft can deliver twenty-eight 500 pound bombs with pin point accuracy day or night. It also can deliver the Navy's entire arsenal of available weapons, from bombs to ground attack and air-to-air missiles, flares, and also provide a full array of target services for air and surface training.

The Intruder's range is also legendary. She can strike targets at over 500 miles from the carrier unrefueled. Her ability to go long distances with minimal additional fuel has greatly simplified strike planning for over 30 years, as airborne refueling has been and continues to be one of strike planning's most irascible problems.
                      https://www.intruderassociation.org/history.html
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

The Intruder is a truly outstanding and versatile aircraft but AFAIK it has served only the USA to any worthwhile extent; maybe only the USA period.
                        I think I'm gonna have to go with the Mirage here, all factors considered including the considerably larger numbers produced; as well as the very impressive length & breadth of service when combined across the sheer number of nations it has served, and continues to serve in a some cases.

Comment

Given the high degree of success the Mirage has achieve in combat over the years in many countries, it should be a clear winner here.
                          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                          Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
                          Bukowski

Comment

If there's a single french plane that is able to win a contest ,it is this one.
                            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

I went for the Intruder. Bomber, tanker, electronic warfare, etc. A remarkably versatile aircraft.

It doesn't hurt that I also oddly love the look of the Intruder

Cheers

Porty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X