Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 5 - Sopwith Camel (Britain) vs Focke-Wulf Fw 190 (Germany)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 5 - Sopwith Camel (Britain) vs Focke-Wulf Fw 190 (Germany)

Round 5 (Quarter-Final): Sopwith Camel (Britain) vs Focke-Wulf Fw 190 (Germany)

Sopwith Camel
    The Sopwith Camel was intended as a replacement for the Pup. In the first place, the Camel is notable for being the first operational British-designed fighter with two machine-guns synchronized to fire through its propeller. Unlike the preceding Sopwith Pup and Triplane, the Camel was generally considered difficult to fly. The type owed both its extreme maneuverability and its difficult handling to a combination of the close placement of the engine, pilot, guns and fuel tank (about 90% of the weight of the aircraft) in the front 7ft (2.13m) of the aircraft, and the strong gyroscopic effect of the rotary engine. The Camel soon gained an unfortunate reputation with student pilots and if it was stalled, the immediate result was a particularly dangerous spin.
    Nevertheless, the new Sopwith fighter had a good margin of superiority over the Albatros D.III and D.V and offered heavier armament and better performance than the Pup and Triplane. In the hands of an experienced pilot, its maneuverability was unmatched by any contemporary type. Agility in combat made the Camel one of the best-remembered Allied aircraft of the First World War. RFC crew used to joke that it offered the choice between "a wooden cross, the Red Cross, or a Victoria Cross". Together with the S.E.5a and the SPAD S.XIII, the Camel helped to establish the Allied aerial superiority that lasted well into 1918.

Focke-Wulf Fw 190
    From about 1942, the Bf 109 and the Fw 190 together became the backbone of the German fighter force. The twin-row BMW 801 radial engine that powered the Fw 190A series enabled the aircraft to lift larger loads than the Bf 109, allowing its use as a day fighter, fighter-bomber, ground-attack aircraft and, to a lesser degree, night fighter. The Fw 190A started flying operationally over France in August 1941 and within a fairly short time had its first clashes with RAF Spitfires. At this point, the latest model of the Spitfire in general use was the Mk. V. The 190 quickly proved superior in all but turn radius to the Spitfire V, especially at low and medium altitudes. The 190 maintained its superiority over Allied fighters until the introduction of the improved Spitfire Mk. IX in July 1942. In November/December 1942, the Fw 190 made its air combat debut on the Eastern Front, being successful both in air-to-air and ground attack operations.
    The Fw 190A series' performance decreased at high altitudes (usually 6,000 m (20,000 ft) and above), which reduced its effectiveness as a high-altitude interceptor, but this problem was addressed with the introduction of the Fw 190D from about September 1944, which was powered by the Junkers Jumo 213 inline engine. It is readily distinguishable from the radial-engined A series by its longer nose. The Fw 190D was a very worthy opponent for late-war Allied fighters. Taken overall and given the excellent performance and very successful career of the Fw 190, as well as the very large numbers produced, it would rightfully be considered one of the most important fighters to serve during WW2.

Will you be voting Camel or Fw 190?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the Semi-Final!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #19 - Sopwith Camel (Britain)

Full Service From (approx) – 1917
    Quantity produced - 5,490
    User Nations - Britain, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Latvia, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Sweden

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_Camel

Candidate #63 - Focke-Wulf Fw 190 (Germany)

Full Service From (approx) – 1941
    Quantity produced - 20,051
    User Nations - Germany, Czechoslovakia, France, Hungary, Romania, Turkey

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_190

Fw 190A

Fw 190D

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Sopwith Camel (Britain)
    34.07%
    Focke-Wulf Fw 190 (Germany)
    65.93%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 01 May 15, 10:48.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

I went fw 190 due to numbers. Neither will make it through in the next round though.
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

I like both aircraft, but the FW 190 was developed further.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Had to vote against the Camel
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          Had to vote against the Camel
          So did I - the sacrifices one makes !
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

This is the toughest match-up for me in this round, but I agree with Andrewza that neither would make it past the next round. I will let this one simmer for awhile.

Comment

Camel again for me. It was on the winning side and was also the winner of the allied scouts of WWI.

Paul
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Like the E III, the FW 190 represented a leap forward in ability that caused it's opponents to react strongly to it's appearance. It also had significant influence on aircraft design, particularly the engine cooling arrangements that the British, US, Japanese, and Russians all copied to one extent or another.

The Camel was a late comer to WW 1 and while it was very successful it really didn't bring anything to the table other than being a good fighter.
                As a design, it was a handful and potentially very dangerous plane to fly.

Comment

Camel: not only did its side win but it influenced aircraft design for a decade
                  Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                  Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                  For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                  And battles long ago:
                  -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Sorry Snoop.
                    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

For its ruggedness I choose the FW-190.

Comment

I hated voting against the Camel, but it had to be done.

The Fw190 dominated the skies for about a year to such an extent that Spitfires had to almost totally stop flying over France. The Camel never did that.

The Fw 190 influence was to make the Spitfire the best fighter of WW2. The IX was almost an accident, developed after the Spitfire V began to drop out of the sky, and the XIV was awesome. The Fw190 kicked British ass to such a degree that British fighter design did not once again rest on its laurels, as long as it had funding.
                        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

190 here
                          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            I hated voting against the Camel, but it had to be done.

The Fw190 dominated the skies for about a year to such an extent that Spitfires had to almost totally stop flying over France. The Camel never did that.

The Fw 190 influence was to make the Spitfire the best fighter of WW2. The IX was almost an accident, developed after the Spitfire V began to drop out of the sky, and the XIV was awesome. The Fw190 kicked British ass to such a degree that British fighter design did not once again rest on its laurels, as long as it had funding.
                            Tell you what Nick! Go back and read up on the Spitfire. The Fw190 did not influence the spitfire into becoming the fighter it was, as it was always being developed and up-graded. The better Mk VIII was already in the pipeline. what the Fw190 did do was push it on a bit. If the MkVIII hadn't needed to be retooled to refine the airframe, It would have been the Marque set against the Fw190 from the beginning rather than the leap to the MkIX.

Paul
                            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                            All human ills he can subdue,
                            Or with a bauble or medal
                            Can win mans heart for you;
                            And many a blessing know to stew
                            To make a megloamaniac bright;
                            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                              Tell you what Nick! Go back and read up on the Spitfire. The Fw190 did not influence the spitfire into becoming the fighter it was, as it was always being developed and up-graded. The better Mk VIII was already in the pipeline. what the Fw190 did do was push it on a bit. If the MkVIII hadn't needed to be retooled to refine the airframe, It would have been the Marque set against the Fw190 from the beginning rather than the leap to the MkIX.

Paul

My knowledge on aircraft is suspect generally, although I'm pretty okay on WW2 stuff. What I do know is that when the Fw 190 came out, the Spitfire V was spanked. Big time. It took too long for the IX to arrive, the VIII being unavailable. The IX was basically a happy accident, and remained an excellent fighter for the rest of the war. This spanking led to the XIV was never bettered as a single piston engine fighter in WW2 afaik.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/jf319.html.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X