Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 4 Grp A-D - Albatros D.III/D.V/D.Va (Germany) vs Sopwith Camel (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    I was attempting to sneak the Sopwith Dolphin in through the rear entrance

I suppose the mysterious Sopwith Bactrian, the little known twin Camel, is completely out of the question too, Gov'nor.?
    Is there a little known variant, the Sopwith Dromedary?

</weirdness>

Susie
    Will no one tell me what she sings?--
    Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
    For old, unhappy, far-off things,
    And battles long ago:
    -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post

</weirdness>

Susie
      That was the Canadian fueled version with twin viper engines and the twelve blade counter rotating Mexican propellers, Sue.

When last seen it was breaking the sound barrier over the North Sea...

Labrusca- the Grapes of Wrath,- indeed
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
        Yes. My understanding after 42 years "in country" is that the term "Pom" refers to the English only. Strictly speaking it usually doesn't even include other Britons such as the Scots and Welsh; and certainly not folks from the Commonwealth countries either unless they are (relatively recently migrated) English.

... but I digress again.
        Nah - Pomgolia covers Britain (the island) but not Ireland (the island) - but that's this side of the ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post

</weirdness>

Susie
          The South American export model -the Sopwith Llama.

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
            Nah - Pomgolia covers Britain (the island) but not Ireland (the island) - but that's this side of the ditch.
            It's been my experience here (and I've lived & worked all over Australia), that anyone who calls a Scotsman a "Pom" is risking a knuckle sandwich or at the very least, considerable indignation. The English bear it usually with good grace; often with humour; occasionally as a badge of honour and acceptance! Most of the Aussie-born Aussies I've met generally use it only when they hear an English accent.
            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
              It's been my experience here (and I've lived & worked all over Australia), that anyone who calls a Scotsman a "Pom" is risking a knuckle sandwich or at the very least, considerable indignation. The English bear it usually with good grace; often with humour; occasionally as a badge of honour and acceptance! Most of the Aussie-born Aussies I've met generally use it only when they hear an English accent.
              did you hear about the Englishman who applied to immigrate to OZ, and upon being asked if he had any criminal convictions,

Replied that he wasn't aware that was still a pre - requisite...

Yuck yuk yuk...

Mea culpa..
              Here's the Sopwith Dolphin, AKA super Camel...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_Dolphin
              Last edited by marktwain; 27 Apr 15, 18:45.
              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                Same here really. "Native" Australians can't usually detect differences in accent/dialect ,so anyone from the UK is liable to wear the"Pommy" label: unless it's particularly blatant.

As for myself I've been here so long that I'm called a "Skip" by non-Anglo -Australians, like all the rest,

("Skip" from the children's TV series "Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo").
                Last edited by BELGRAVE; 27 Apr 15, 22:25.
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

New Zealanders are off-shore Ozzies with culture.

Australians are sun-drenched Scousers who yearn to be New Zealanders.

Paul
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post

Paul
                    Not invariably: my wife's a Geordie.
                    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                      Same here really. "Native" Australians can't usually detect differences in accent/dialect ,so anyone from the UK is liable to wear the"Pommy" label: unless it's particularly blatant.

As for myself I've been here so long that I'm called a "Skip" by non-Anglo -Australians, like all the rest,

("Skip" from the children's TV series "Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo").
                      Scottish accents do tend to stand out considerably from English ones, though, and this is discernible even to most Aussies. A number of my Aussie-born workmates have noted that one shouldn't refer to a Scotsman as a "Pom" unless you're prepared for a very probable backlash. (OTOH, I've known some Aussies to do it deliberately for a "****-stir" precisely because they know that many Scots object to it. )
                      Admittedly, that's probably less true of the Welsh whose accents might be more readily mistaken as being from "some part of England maybe"; but then again, in my experience, the Welsh tend to be less likely to object anyway.

I lived and worked in Victoria for a year too, btw, back in the 70's; and in NSW for three.
                      Last edited by panther3485; 28 Apr 15, 05:04.
                      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Paul
                        That's kulcha is what we've got - just like yoghurt.

We've also got three official languages

Comment

Paul
                          One of these days I'll have to go visit the place. The experience should either boost my yearning or kill it off.

What was that about the Albatros vs the Camel? seems we just can't stop ourselves from rambling OT here.

Better cut it out soon ....

Comment

The albatross for me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X