Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 4 Grp E-H - Me 262 (Germany) vs F-86 Sabre & FJ-2/3 Fury (USA)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
    The F-86 is one of my favorite planes (my father flew it), but being the first important jet fighter makes the Me-262 more historically significant. If Hitler had not mishandled it, it could have had a huge negative impact on the war.
    Hi

Its impact would have been negligible, simply because the Allies wouldn't have idly stood by. They would have thrown their vaster resources at their disposal at the problem, fast-tracking Allied jet development. Any bump for Germany would have been temporary and short.

Regards

Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

The similar scenario in all of this might be from the American Civil War. The Confederacy, faced with defeat, started pushing for radical weapons that might turn the tide of battle.

You have the CSS Hunley. The first successful submarine. Was it significant or influential? Not really but it was truly novel and a first.

You have the "David" steam torpedo boats. Same thing applies.

Just because a technology is "first" doesn't make it significant. What really counts is the first practical application of a technology. The Me 262 doesn't fit that bill because of its pathetic reliability. The Meteor doesn't fit it because its performance was little better than contemporary piston engine aircraft.

In this sense, the F-86 is one of the first really successful jet fighters to be put into service. That is significant and influential.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        The similar scenario in all of this might be from the American Civil War. The Confederacy, faced with defeat, started pushing for radical weapons that might turn the tide of battle.

You have the CSS Hunley. The first successful submarine. Was it significant or influential? Not really but it was truly novel and a first.

You have the "David" steam torpedo boats. Same thing applies.

Just because a technology is "first" doesn't make it significant. What really counts is the first practical application of a technology. The Me 262 doesn't fit that bill because of its pathetic reliability. The Meteor doesn't fit it because its performance was little better than contemporary piston engine aircraft.

In this sense, the F-86 is one of the first really successful jet fighters to be put into service. That is significant and influential.
        I ned to spread some rep, but +1

Susie
        Will no one tell me what she sings?--
        Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
        For old, unhappy, far-off things,
        And battles long ago:
        -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X