Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp G - NA F-100 Super Sabre (USA) vs English Electric Lightning (Britain)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on two things, the looks! Let's face it, the Hun just looked great! And TA Gardners post about its service record, I could not put it better,
    F-100 for me
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

the F-100 was more influential because was the first supersonic fighter plane in service. in Chuck Yeager book, he says that first F-100's had a poor stability in high speeds, George Welsh replyed, and got kill in an supersonic dive. NAA had to modify the existing aircraft. however, a great aircraft, first of the "century fighters".

Comment

The EE Lightning; partly because of the great potential that wasn't properly realized but partly because I just like the darn thing; especially the look of it.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Lightning is clearly the better performer and better aircraft.

F-100 is another one of those high-performing but basically pointless designs (see also F-101, F-104, F-105, Delta Dagger, Delta Dart) that did things that could be done just as well by a Phantom.
          "Looting would not be tolerated within the Division, unless organised with the knowledge of C.O.'s on a unit basis."
          - 15/19 Hussars War Diary, 18th March 1945

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X