Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp F - Northrop P-61 Black Widow (USA) vs Hawker Sea Fury (Britain)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One interesting thing about the Fury is that the engine cowling, cooling arrangements, and such were copied from the FW 190...

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
      You should go away and 're-laminate' your post again then after you read up on the facts about 'tropics' and de Havilland Mosquitoes, you can show me what "Tropics and Mosquitoes did not mix well" actually was? Apart from a batch of airframes that were put together without formaldehyde in the bonding cement, what other Mosquitoes didn't mix with the tropics? What was the Mosquitoes combat record for the theatre?

Paul
      The Mosquito used casein glue at first.

Poor resistance to humidity.

Casein glue wasn't completely replaced with Urea-Formaldehyde until mid 1943

Comment

Since the fury is still flown in air races ,we can deduce that it is a reliable airplane.
        And I am biased,but it is wonderfully drawned,perfect balance between the front and the rear,magnificent exhaust pipes,cockpit like a concept itself, and the sound...
        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Hi

Neither was influential, and as another poster has stated, its oranges & lemons.

The Sea Fury was more 'important' (rather than influential) to the British, than the P-61 was to the US, so on that basis alone I'll go with the Sea Fury.

Regards

Andy H
          "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
            Hi

Neither was influential, and as another poster has stated, its oranges & lemons.

The Sea Fury was more 'important' (rather than influential) to the British, than the P-61 was to the US, so on that basis alone I'll go with the Sea Fury.

Regards

Andy H
            The reason I chose the P-61 is not the airframe but rather the huge advance made in the radar and fire controls it had in it. Those became the standard for everyone else's night fighters in the last years of WW 2 and well beyond. As pointed out, the P-61's system was license built in Britain and used in the NF 30 Mosquito, post war up through the NF 36 Mosquito (with improvements), the NF series Meteor, and other British night fighters. The US improved the system and it formed the basis for systems in the F-93, F-89, and F3D Skyknight.

At the same time, the Fury borrowed German technology from the FW 190 and improved on it to make that plane faster. Beyond that it really didn't contribute to an advance of the state-of-the-art.

Comment

The P-61 was one of the most bad-ass planes ever developed. It was used to distract the Japanese at the prison camp of Cabanatuan as the Rangers snuck up in broad daylight. No WWII plane could have been a better choice for distraction.

Comment

I don't really think that either one of these will survive round 2 as neither one is really influential in any real way. I personnaly think that the P61 is a better looking plane and that is was a purpose built to carry radar and operate as a night fighter in my mind gives it a leg up. Sea Fury is a beautiful plane though.
                Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Originally posted by Marathag View Post
                  The Mosquito used casein glue at first.

Poor resistance to humidity.

Casein glue wasn't completely replaced with Urea-Formaldehyde until mid 1943
                  That is no answer. I repeat! "what other Mosquitoes didn't mix with the tropics? What was the Mosquitoes combat record for the theatre?"

Paul
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                    The P-61 was one of the most bad-ass planes ever developed. It was used to distract the Japanese at the prison camp of Cabanatuan as the Rangers snuck up in broad daylight. No WWII plane could have been a better choice for distraction.
                    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Northrop P-61 Black Widow (USA)

Comment

P-61, for its significance as a tech platform.
                        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Two planes of absolutely no influence or significance whatsoever, so I went with what looks cool.
                          "Looting would not be tolerated within the Division, unless organised with the knowledge of C.O.'s on a unit basis."
                          - 15/19 Hussars War Diary, 18th March 1945

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X