Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp D - Brewster F2A Buffalo (USA) vs Hawker Typhoon & Tempest (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Juan
    replied
    Actually, this is even easier than Yak v. Toryu.

Typhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnn!

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    The Buffalo wasn't that bad a fighter and under the right conditions, in the right hands, could acquit itself very well. Just ask the Finns.

However, compared to the Typhoon/Tempest combo, not a player in the significance/influence stakes, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• vikram72
    replied
    Hawker Typhoon & Tempest in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a2117594.shtml
    Although the Typhoon's short comings as a fighter were known it was still effective against the 109 and 190 raiders as the above shows.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Or, the fix for the tail sheering off were small "fish plates to strengthen the fuselage where the tail was sheering at... these look like little hexagonal lozenge shaped plates just ahead of the tail on models...
    IIRC, the initial production Bf 109F variant had a similar problem to begin with until the critical area at the tail end of the fuselage was strengthened.

Leave a comment:

• Super Six 4
    replied
    Hawker wins here.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
    You're a veritable mine of technical info, TAG.
    Or, the fix for the tail sheering off were small "fish plates to strengthen the fuselage where the tail was sheering at... these look like little hexagonal lozenge shaped plates just ahead of the tail on models...

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The Typhoon also is the first sleeve valve piston engine fighter mass produced.
    You're a veritable mine of technical info, TAG.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    The Typhoon also is the first sleeve valve piston engine fighter mass produced.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by Khepesh View Post
    yeah, with the cannon fitted, cool in "Sturmovik", but while Typhoon is newer than basic Ju-87, it predates 87G by a few years I thought.
    IIRC, the Typhoon didn't make its name as a "tank buster"* until the 1944-45 NW Europe campaign; that is, the final year of WW2 in Europe; by which time I believe the Ju-87G had already established its reputation in this regard? Of course, the Ju-87 was a dive bomber/ground attack aircraft from the very beginning of its career and it definitely wasn't a fighter, so I guess the comparison is invalid anyway; at least for the purposes of this tournament.

(*A questionable claim anyway; but that's another discussion altogether )
    Last edited by panther3485; 14 Mar 15, 23:29.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Guys, just a point about the Typhoon.

Its inclusion in this tournament is based on the combination of:
    (a) That it was initially designed and intended primarily as a fighter; and
    (b) That for for some time, it actually functioned as a low-level interceptor; interception being a distinct fighter role.

To my mind, the most important part of the Typhoon's service for the purpose of this poll - and the most compelling reason for its inclusion - was the fact that it was the only viable counter to German Fw 190 low-level "hit-and-run" raids. The Typhoon was for some considerable time the only British single-engine fighter with the low-level performance to catch the Focke-Wulfs.

The fact that the Typhoon went on to become one of the premier fighter-bombers and tactical support aircraft on the Allied side is very credit-worthy and a testament to its versatility; and yes, it's worth some "bonus points" in this tournament. Nevertheless, the ground-attack function remains a secondary consideration for the purpose of these polls.

To retain the Typhoon, I made it a co-candidate with the Tempest. I believe this is consistent with other "combination candidates" I have made because the Tempest was - essentially - a re-worked Typhoon anyway. Furthermore, the Typhoon and Tempest combined IMO, have more than enough substance as a fighter design to be here; whereas the Typhoon on its own might have missed the cut for the 128.
    Last edited by panther3485; 14 Mar 15, 23:26.

Leave a comment:

• Khepesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
    Actually, I believe the Ju-87G was the progenitor of tank busters such as the A-10.
    yeah, with the cannon fitted, cool in "Sturmovik", but while Typhoon is newer than basic Ju-87, it predates 87G by a few years I thought.

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    Originally posted by Khepesh View Post
    Typhoon as it was, I think, the progenitor of later tank busters, A-10, SU-25, while Buffalo was essentialy just another plane.
    Actually, I believe the Ju-87G was the progenitor of tank busters such as the A-10.

Leave a comment:

• Khepesh
    replied
    Typhoon as it was, I think, the progenitor of later tank busters, A-10, SU-25, while Buffalo was essentialy just another plane.

Leave a comment:

• guthrieba
    replied
    Brewster F2A Buffalo
    For those of you who have already read and voted in the Bloch MB.151-155 vs Grumman F4F Wildcat match in these polls, you might be surprised to learn - if you didn't already know - that the Buffalo won a competition against the Grumman F4F Wildcat in 1939, to become the U.S. Navy's first monoplane fighter aircraft. Although superior to the Grumman F3F biplane it replaced and (arguably) the early F4Fs, the Buffalo was largely obsolete when the United States entered World War 2 being unstable, overweight and relatively sluggish, especially when compared to the Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero.
    I identify with that description.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X