Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp D - Brewster F2A Buffalo (USA) vs Hawker Typhoon & Tempest (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
    Will you send me another PM,telling me all of this is simply humour??
    I replied to your last one,if you remember correctly, reassuring you,i was not upset.
    Now,save your time by publically writing that you cannot stand us,it will be clear and efficient.
    You won't have to look for ugly pics of weird flying things made in France,and you won't be ridiculous by stating that the 2 CV is an unsignificant car.
    It's all in good fun seb. In America the game is played as if everyone was standing near a cliff. The object of the game is not to let the other players get you so worked up you get pushed off that cliff.

"Pushing people's buttons" is what it is often called. It's just in fun so don't get worked up. Oh, by the way, how's the weather at the bottom of the cliff?

Comment

Brewster F2A Buffalo
      For those of you who have already read and voted in the Bloch MB.151-155 vs Grumman F4F Wildcat match in these polls, you might be surprised to learn - if you didn't already know - that the Buffalo won a competition against the Grumman F4F Wildcat in 1939, to become the U.S. Navy's first monoplane fighter aircraft. Although superior to the Grumman F3F biplane it replaced and (arguably) the early F4Fs, the Buffalo was largely obsolete when the United States entered World War 2 being unstable, overweight and relatively sluggish, especially when compared to the Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero.
      I identify with that description.
      Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

Typhoon as it was, I think, the progenitor of later tank busters, A-10, SU-25, while Buffalo was essentialy just another plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Khepesh View Post
          Typhoon as it was, I think, the progenitor of later tank busters, A-10, SU-25, while Buffalo was essentialy just another plane.
          Actually, I believe the Ju-87G was the progenitor of tank busters such as the A-10.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
            Actually, I believe the Ju-87G was the progenitor of tank busters such as the A-10.
            yeah, with the cannon fitted, cool in "Sturmovik", but while Typhoon is newer than basic Ju-87, it predates 87G by a few years I thought.

Comment

Guys, just a point about the Typhoon.

Its inclusion in this tournament is based on the combination of:
              (a) That it was initially designed and intended primarily as a fighter; and
              (b) That for for some time, it actually functioned as a low-level interceptor; interception being a distinct fighter role.

To my mind, the most important part of the Typhoon's service for the purpose of this poll - and the most compelling reason for its inclusion - was the fact that it was the only viable counter to German Fw 190 low-level "hit-and-run" raids. The Typhoon was for some considerable time the only British single-engine fighter with the low-level performance to catch the Focke-Wulfs.

The fact that the Typhoon went on to become one of the premier fighter-bombers and tactical support aircraft on the Allied side is very credit-worthy and a testament to its versatility; and yes, it's worth some "bonus points" in this tournament. Nevertheless, the ground-attack function remains a secondary consideration for the purpose of these polls.

To retain the Typhoon, I made it a co-candidate with the Tempest. I believe this is consistent with other "combination candidates" I have made because the Tempest was - essentially - a re-worked Typhoon anyway. Furthermore, the Typhoon and Tempest combined IMO, have more than enough substance as a fighter design to be here; whereas the Typhoon on its own might have missed the cut for the 128.
              Last edited by panther3485; 14 Mar 15, 23:26.
              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by Khepesh View Post
                yeah, with the cannon fitted, cool in "Sturmovik", but while Typhoon is newer than basic Ju-87, it predates 87G by a few years I thought.
                IIRC, the Typhoon didn't make its name as a "tank buster"* until the 1944-45 NW Europe campaign; that is, the final year of WW2 in Europe; by which time I believe the Ju-87G had already established its reputation in this regard? Of course, the Ju-87 was a dive bomber/ground attack aircraft from the very beginning of its career and it definitely wasn't a fighter, so I guess the comparison is invalid anyway; at least for the purposes of this tournament.

(*A questionable claim anyway; but that's another discussion altogether )
                Last edited by panther3485; 14 Mar 15, 23:29.
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

The Typhoon also is the first sleeve valve piston engine fighter mass produced.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    The Typhoon also is the first sleeve valve piston engine fighter mass produced.
                    You're a veritable mine of technical info, TAG.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      You're a veritable mine of technical info, TAG.
                      Or, the fix for the tail sheering off were small "fish plates to strengthen the fuselage where the tail was sheering at... these look like little hexagonal lozenge shaped plates just ahead of the tail on models...

Comment

Hawker wins here.
                        "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          Or, the fix for the tail sheering off were small "fish plates to strengthen the fuselage where the tail was sheering at... these look like little hexagonal lozenge shaped plates just ahead of the tail on models...
                          IIRC, the initial production Bf 109F variant had a similar problem to begin with until the critical area at the tail end of the fuselage was strengthened.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a2117594.shtml
                            Although the Typhoon's short comings as a fighter were known it was still effective against the 109 and 190 raiders as the above shows.
                            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Hawker Typhoon & Tempest in my opinion.

Comment

The Buffalo wasn't that bad a fighter and under the right conditions, in the right hands, could acquit itself very well. Just ask the Finns.

However, compared to the Typhoon/Tempest combo, not a player in the significance/influence stakes, IMO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X