Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 1 Grp D - Brewster F2A Buffalo (USA) vs Hawker Typhoon & Tempest (Britain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 1 Grp D - Brewster F2A Buffalo (USA) vs Hawker Typhoon & Tempest (Britain)

Round 1, Group D: Brewster F2A Buffalo (USA) vs Hawker Typhoon & Tempest (Britain)

Brewster F2A Buffalo
    For those of you who have already read and voted in the Bloch MB.151-155 vs Grumman F4F Wildcat match in these polls, you might be surprised to learn - if you didn't already know - that the Buffalo won a competition against the Grumman F4F Wildcat in 1939, to become the U.S. Navy's first monoplane fighter aircraft. Although superior to the Grumman F3F biplane it replaced and (arguably) the early F4Fs, the Buffalo was largely obsolete when the United States entered World War 2 being unstable, overweight and relatively sluggish, especially when compared to the Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero. It ended up being replaced by improved versions of the Wildcat in Navy service; a turning of the tables, we might say. Of all the Buffalo users, the Finns - who got the B-239, a de-navalized version - were the most successful, flying them in combat against early Soviet fighters with excellent results. Towards the other end of the range for success, the British and Dutch air forces using Buffalos in December 1941 suffered severe losses against Japanese A6M Zero and Ki-43 fighters. Attempts to lighten the Buffalos and make them a bit more agile were at best only partially successful. The F2A-3 variant saw action with United States Marine Corps squadrons at the Battle of Midway, with similarly dismal results.

Hawker Typhoon & Tempest
    I felt the Hawker Typhoon to be a "borderline" inclusion in these polls and I nearly excluded it but in the end decided to keep it in partnership with its derivative, the Tempest, with the two of them combined as a single candidate. The Typhoon was intended and originally designed to be a medium–high altitude interceptor, as the logical replacement for the Hawker Hurricane but several design problems were encountered such that it was never able to completely satisfy this requirement. Its service introduction in mid-1941 was plagued with problems and for several months the aircraft faced a doubtful future. However, the tide of fortune can easily turn in war and when the Luftwaffe brought the formidable Focke-Wulf Fw 190 into service in 1941, the Typhoon was the only RAF fighter consistently capable of catching it at low altitudes. As a result it secured a new role as a low-altitude interceptor. Further to this, it also ventured into roles such as night-time intruder and long-range fighter. From late 1942 the Typhoon was equipped with bombs and from late 1943 RP-3 ground attack rockets were added to its armoury. Using these two weapons, the Typhoon became one of the Second World War's most successful ground-attack aircraft.
    The Hawker Tempest was a substantially improved derivative of the Typhoon, intended to address problems with the Typhoon's unexpected low performance by replacing its wing with a much thinner "laminar flow" design. It emerged as one of the most powerful fighters used during the war. The Hawker design team had already been working on possible improvements to the Typhoon and they investigated the advantages of the laminar flow wing that had been developed in the USA. When this idea was physically applied to the Typhoon design, effectively the Tempest had been born and the result was significantly improved overall performance. A number of different versions, with various engines, were planned but the only one to see operational service as such during WW2 was the Mk. V. This aircraft was a true high-performance multi-role fighter but above all, in contrast to the Typhoon it performed well in air-to-air combat through a more useful range of altitudes. It was also the fastest Allied piston-engine fighter at low altitude and was used to good effect to intercept V-1 flying bombs, accounting for no fewer than 638 of the total of 1,771 "Doodlebugs" claimed by the RAF in 1944.

Is it the Brewster machine that strikes you as more significant/influential or are you set on the Hawkers?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #55 - Brewster F2A Buffalo (USA)

Full Service From (approx) – 1939
    Quantity produced - 509
    User Nations - USA, Australia, Britain, Finland, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand,

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_F2A_Buffalo

Candidate #64 - Hawker Typhoon & Tempest (Britain)

Full Service From (approx) – 1941
    Quantity produced - 4,748
    User Nations - Britain, Australia, Belgium, Canada, India, Pakistan, New Zealand

For further info & some technical details, you can start with Wiki here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Tempest

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    Brewster Buffalo (USA)
    6.98%
    Hawker Typhoon & Tempest (Britain)
    93.02%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 06 Mar 15, 09:09.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

I think the Hawker is better. Now I would have loved to see what the Finns could have done with it!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Operationally-the acid test- the Buffalo was a resounding failure everywhere , with one very notable exception.
      The Hawker aircraft were resounding successes.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

The Buffalo carries significance, and influence, but in a negative way. But it certainly accelerated adoption of better designs!

As much as I love the Tempest, it's not very influential or significant. But certainly more so than the horrible Buffalo.

Tempest wins!
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Hawker Typhoon.

The Brewster Buffalo was a joke and should not even be mentioned in the same space as the Hawker.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

the Hawker Typhoon wins. it was devastating in ground attack, it's main drawback was handling on take off (it veer off right), and problems of compressibility( air flow on top of the wing reach supersonic speeds). however, one great fighter. Tempest had problems too, but was much better than Typhoon.

Typhoon Mk 1B

Tempest Mk V

Comment

Strange to put Typhoon next to Tempest, The drawback of the Typhoon was it's wing. This does not matter as I chose to vote for the Buffalo. It matters little but in my view this little fighter has always been severely under rated. Typhoon is in my book a failed fighter, because of its wing, hence my opening remark.
              The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

One sympathy vote for the Buffalo here
                High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

24 cylinders cannot be wrong..
                  Tempest of course.Plus ,he made the Normandy campaign shorter in time.
                  That rug really tied the room together

Comment

If this was an ugliest plane tournament, I'd vote for the Buffalo. Since it is not...

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                      If this was an ugliest plane tournament, I'd vote for the Buffalo. Since it is not...
                      If it was France would win hands down...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        If it was France would win hands down...
                        Do you know that it's funny that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                          Do you know that it's funny that!!!
                          I know. It's funny because it's true...

A flying Citron!

Comment

Will you send me another PM,telling me all of this is simply humour??
                            I replied to your last one,if you remember correctly, reassuring you,i was not upset.
                            Now,save your time by publically writing that you cannot stand us,it will be clear and efficient.
                            You won't have to look for ugly pics of weird flying things made in France,and you won't be ridiculous by stating that the 2 CV is an unsignificant car.

Comment

Steady on, guys. Let's stay away from the personal (or nationalistic) stuff and discuss the topic, eh?
                              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X