Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Decisive Battle Saratoga v Midway (Round 4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    How the heck did a battle "generaled" (but won by Benedict Arnold) by Horatio Gates make it this far?

Pruitt
    Well - if you'll recall -- Benedict Arnold began as a true patriot -- he only changed sides, so to speak - later in the campaign. No one ever doubted his abilities - he sure had some. That's why he became such a famous "traitor" -- simply because he had been such a valuable and trusted General.

Had he and Gates not won at Saratoga, it's very conceivable that we would all be singing "God Save the Queen" rather then the Star Spangled Banner now.
    I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

I'm afraid I've interpreted this entire campaign incorrectly. I picked the more decisive as that which "decided" more for the conflict then in question. Thus a battle for which the loser expended their most mobile and useful force might be decisive even if there were to be a large number of battles to follow if the favored force in subsequent battles favored the victor where it might not have before. This explains my vote for Midway. Sometimes a result would impact the results of a future war, and I'd consider that decisive only if the beligerents in that future war are the same as the present. But Saratoga was part of a conflict between Britian and the rebels. The rebels established credibility at that battle, which gained them foreign support, and ended the conflict in the interior north. It put them on the pathway for future decisive battles, so it is also important in that way. But there were future battles to come, each presenting a large opportunity for the rebels to lose. Saratoga did not render the American effort certain in those future battles, it gave the American effort a fighting chance in those future battles. I did not do enough to consider future consequences in future conflicts not involving the Americans against the British.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhankisthrone View Post
        I'm afraid I've interpreted this entire campaign incorrectly. I picked the more decisive as that which "decided" more for the conflict then in question. Thus a battle for which the loser expended their most mobile and useful force might be decisive even if there were to be a large number of battles to follow if the favored force in subsequent battles favored the victor where it might not have before. This explains my vote for Midway. Sometimes a result would impact the results of a future war, and I'd consider that decisive only if the beligerents in that future war are the same as the present. But Saratoga was part of a conflict between Britian and the rebels. The rebels established credibility at that battle, which gained them foreign support, and ended the conflict in the interior north. It put them on the pathway for future decisive battles, so it is also important in that way. But there were future battles to come, each presenting a large opportunity for the rebels to lose. Saratoga did not render the American effort certain in those future battles, it gave the American effort a fighting chance in those future battles. I did not do enough to consider future consequences in future conflicts not involving the Americans against the British.
        The Day the Earth Stood Still --"Gort -- Klatu Barada Nektu"

Saratoga

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

This one is a lot easier for me...
          Saratoga hands down.
          All warfare is based on deception.
          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

I argued for both of these battles earlier and if I could I'd vote them both in, but since I can't, it'll be Midway.

I won't abandon you now Wes.

MIDWAY!!
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

It ain't about me, the most decisive was MIDWAY!

ALOHA FROM WAIKIKI!
              On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Saratoga for me.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Still Midway. It went a lot further to securing a vital victory in the hugest war and theater the world has ever known.

Comment

Originally posted by William36912 View Post
                    Still Midway. It went a lot further to securing a vital victory in the hugest war and theater the world has ever known.
                    Not a chance -- Saratoga made the United States -- Midway secured Hawaii

Saratoga !

BoRG

Comment

IMO, the United States could have lost the Battle of Midway and WWII would have ended exactly the same way, maybe even in the same amount of time.

Saratoga hands down.
                      Last edited by dave123; 24 Apr 10, 10:06.

Comment

I had to go with Midway because I watched "The Patriot" the other night and found out that Mel Gibson won the Revolutionary War (they didn't even mention Saratoga).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X