Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Decisive Battle – Yarmouk v Siege of Constantinople (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Decisive Battle – Yarmouk v Siege of Constantinople (Round 1)

The Battle of Yarmouk 636
    The Battle of Yarmouk (Arabic: معركة اليرموك‎, also spelled Yarmuk, Yarmuq or Hieromyax) comprised a series of engagements between the Rashidum Caliphate and the Byzantine Empire over six days in August 636, near the Yarmouk River along what is today the border between Syria and Jordan, south-east of the Sea of Galilee. The battle marked the first great wave of Islamic conquests after the death of Muhammad, heralding the rapid advance of Islam into the then Christian Levant. The battle is also considered to be one of Khalid ibn al-Walid's most decisive victories, and cemented his reputation as a great tactician and cavalry commander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yarmouk

The siege of Constantinople 717-718
    The Second Arab Siege of Constantinople (717-718) was a combined land and sea effort by the Arabs to take the capital city of the Byzantine Empire, Constantinople. The Arab ground forces, led by Maslama, were defeated by Constantinople's seemingly impregnable walls and Bulgarian attacks while their naval fleet was defeated by Greek Fire and the remnants of it subsequently sunk in a storm on its return home. It is often compared to the more widely studied Battle of Tours in the fact that it halted Muslim expansion into Europe from the East for almost 700 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_o...antinople_(718)
    The Battle of Yarmouk 636
    29.11%
    The siege of Constantinople 717-718
    70.89%
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

I think the results speak for themselves. While there are those of us in the West who understand the beginnings of the Jihad in Yarmouk, the seven centuries without fear from Islam (not counting Spain) was a world changing event. The middle ages would have been completely different if Constantinople fell in 717.
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Comment

I love fighting against ALL odds...
      I remain a loyal supporter of Yarmouk !!!

Greets,
      Stratego
      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

Without Yarmou there is no Islam then everything changes.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          Without Yarmou there is no Islam then everything changes.
          Agree
          FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

Constantinople is a kye point to the polytics of the area and europe in general.
            It's not a fluke that historians choosed the fall of Constantinople to end the Medieval Era.
            All warfare is based on deception.
            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Originally posted by PatBC View Post
              Agree
              Agree also ! Not much more to add...it's as simple as that !

BORG

Comment

Both battles accomplished similiar things but Yarmuk happened first.
                Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
                Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.

Comment

If the Arabs had lost at Yarmouk, where would Islam be now?

Lots of people tried to take Constantinople, but very few people have succeeded.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Hard poll... anyway I'd go with Yarmouk
                    A ME LE GUARDIE
                    "Di noi tremò la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Here is a story happened before Yarmook

A Byzantine general by the name of George (known as Jarjah in Arabic) emerged from the Byzantine army and rode towards the Muslims. Halting a short distance from the Muslims he raised his voice and asked for Khalid bin Waleed. Khalid, one of the commanders of the Muslim army, rode out with the anticipation of beginning this epic battle with a duel with George.

However, this duel was unusual. As Khalid drew near, the Roman made no move to draw his sword and begin fighting. Instead, he proceeded to ask Khalid a few questions.
                      General George said to General Khalid :

“O Khalid, tell me the truth and do not decieve me, for the free do not lie and the noble do not decieve. Is it true that Allah send a sword from heaven to your Prophet? . . . And that he gave it to you? . . . And that never have you drawn it but your enemies have been defeated?”
                      “No!” replied Khalid.

“Then why are you known as the sword of Allah?”
                      At this point, Khalid explained to George how he recieved the title of Sword of Allah from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). He recieved this title after triumphing by the Will of Allah at the Battle of Mut’ah.
                      At this, George asked Khalid:
                      “Tell me, to what do you call me?”

Khalid replied,
                      “To bear witness that there is none to be worshipped but Allah, and Muhammad is His slave and Messenger, and to believe in what he has brought from Allah.”

“If I do not agree?”, asked George.

“Then the Jizya (a tax), and you shall be under our protection.”

“If I still do not agree?”
                      “Then the sword!“, exclaimed Khalid.

George considered the words of Khalid for a few moments, then asked:
                      “What is the position of one who enters your faith today?”
                      “In our faith there is only one position. All are equal,” replied Khalid.
                      “Then I accept your faith!”, George concluded.

[Conversation narrated in Tabari, Vol 2, p595]
                      http://www.thecompanions.info/2009/0...le-of-yarmouk/

Glory be to Allah, how amazing! This epic battle began with the conversion of one of the Byzantine commanders to Islam! We learn here of the straight forward truth that Khalid bin Waleed spoke. He explained in clear terms, using just a few words with vast meanings the fundamentals of the Islam. It is never too late to become Muslim, as long as one is alive – even if he was just about to fight Islam!

What’s even more astonishing is the fate that Allah, may He be exalted and glorified, had in store for George. A few hours later that very day, George would fight heroically for the faith he had just embraced and die a martyr.

------------------
                      Edit
                      another funny conversation in the same battle:

Mahan: "We know that it is hardship and hunger that have brought you out of your lands. We will give every one of your men ten dinars, clothing and food if you return to your lands, and next year we will send you a similar amount."

Khalid: "Actually, what brought us out of our lands is that we are a people who drink blood, and it has reached us that there is no blood tastier than Roman blood."

Last edited by TheKnight; 26 Jul 12, 09:55.

Comment

It is not a surprise to see commanders changing sides from the Byzantine Army. Any idea what region old George came from?

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

...probably the region now known as Iran...
                          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X