Eight Most Decisive Battles of the Modern Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alea Iacta Est

What is this nobody tells me nothing anymore i might just go cry i cant beleive i missed out on this

Pouting :/
    Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
    I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• Lad's & Lass's... the Greatest Battle Campaign has yet to begin...

All that has occurred up to this point is the Preliminary Membership Finals to choose the Campaign 32.

There will be a PM Blast & a Forum Top Announcement when the Greatest Battle Campaign begins.

No worries, mates!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• Man,I've got to visit this section more often,count me in when it starts. I missed voting on the poll .
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• I definitely don't want to miss out. Do we have to sign up somewhere or just participate in the voting???? I haven't done the campaigns before and I do want to be part of this one.

D1
          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

• Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
            I definitely don't want to miss out. Do we have to sign up somewhere or just participate in the voting???? I haven't done the campaigns before and I do want to be part of this one.

D1
            No sign up needed. Just start voting and posting.
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

• Many thanks. I'm in then.
              "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
              - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

• All that is required to qualify for a Campaign Ribbon is to vote in at least 1 match in each of the 5 Rounds.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• I am a Civil War buff. I always post in the ACG Civil War thread, but, I have a problem with Gettysburg being included as a "decisive battle". If one thinks about it, Gettysburg was not decisive at all. It changed nothing. If you want decisive in that war, you might need to go to Chattanooga (which got Grant springboarded to the Eastern Theater). That, in turn, brought on the fighting in the Wilderness. It was the aftermath of the fighting in the Wilderness which signalled a change in the way the war would be fought. There would be no more fighting Lee, losing and falling back to lick wounds. The AotP was moving forward from then on, come hell or high water!

I also believe that Ulundi was way more decisive than Isandhlwana. Also, Koenniggratz and Solferino were very important for giving the world united Germany and united Italy.

I also think that, for WWII, Stalingrad, Midway, El Alamein and El Guettar and Guadalcanal should have been running neck and neck. Stalingrad and Midway were obvious, but El Guettar proved that the Americans, when properly led, could beat the Germans. And Guadalcanal proved that the image of the Japanese as masters of jungle fighters was wrong. They were tough, single-minded fighters, but not necessarily superior in the jungle. The aftermath of Guadalcanal meant that the Japanese would not be on the strategic offensive in the war again.
                  I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

• Dien Bien Phu Is great Victory.

Comment

• Originally posted by TomDeFranco View Post
                      I am a Civil War buff. I always post in the ACG Civil War thread, but, I have a problem with Gettysburg being included as a "decisive battle". If one thinks about it, Gettysburg was not decisive at all. It changed nothing. If you want decisive in that war, you might need to go to Chattanooga (which got Grant springboarded to the Eastern Theater). That, in turn, brought on the fighting in the Wilderness. It was the aftermath of the fighting in the Wilderness which signalled a change in the way the war would be fought. There would be no more fighting Lee, losing and falling back to lick wounds. The AotP was moving forward from then on, come hell or high water!

I also believe that Ulundi was way more decisive than Isandhlwana. Also, Koenniggratz and Solferino were very important for giving the world united Germany and united Italy.

I also think that, for WWII, Stalingrad, Midway, El Alamein and El Guettar and Guadalcanal should have been running neck and neck. Stalingrad and Midway were obvious, but El Guettar proved that the Americans, when properly led, could beat the Germans. And Guadalcanal proved that the image of the Japanese as masters of jungle fighters was wrong. They were tough, single-minded fighters, but not necessarily superior in the jungle. The aftermath of Guadalcanal meant that the Japanese would not be on the strategic offensive in the war again.
                      I don't think Stalingrad is obvious, Moscow bled the Germans so much that they had to strip AGs Nord and Mitte to launch an offensive in the south. And even with that the proportion of Italian, Hungarian and Romanian divisions to German deivisions was virtually 1 to 1 in AG B in Nov. 42

Comment

• Siege of Lucknow during the Idian Mutiny...
                        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

• Originally posted by TomDeFranco View Post
                          I am a Civil War buff. I always post in the ACG Civil War thread, but, I have a problem with Gettysburg being included as a "decisive battle". If one thinks about it, Gettysburg was not decisive at all. It changed nothing. If you want decisive in that war, you might need to go to Chattanooga (which got Grant springboarded to the Eastern Theater). That, in turn, brought on the fighting in the Wilderness. It was the aftermath of the fighting in the Wilderness which signalled a change in the way the war would be fought. There would be no more fighting Lee, losing and falling back to lick wounds. The AotP was moving forward from then on, come hell or high water!

El Alamein for me was one of the most decisive battles, not only was it the. truely first British and commonwealth victory in the field, but for the rest of the world it showed that the germans could be beaten, so it also served as a ray of hope to countries. including britain, that had seen defeat after defeat.
                          The capture of tunis just after stalingrad also deserves a mention because more axis prisoners were taken than at stalingrad.
                          I am a bit biased because my great uncle fought right through the north african campaign firstly with the middle east commando and then the lrdg.
                          In fact he was evacuated from france in 1940, joined the commandos war on the lafoton raid. middle east, scicily, italy, back home, normandy where he got wounded and decorated, battle of the bulge( yes british troopr were involved ) wounded again, recovered and volunteered for service in burma.
                          He liked a fight.
                          He also said that they knew the germans could be beaten and that el alamein was the proof, i have never forgotten this.

Comment

• Originally posted by queensman View Post
                            El Alamein for me was one of the most decisive battles, not only was it the. truely first British and commonwealth victory in the field, but for the rest of the world it showed that the germans could be beaten, so it also served as a ray of hope to countries. including britain, that had seen defeat after defeat.
                            The capture of tunis just after stalingrad also deserves a mention because more axis prisoners were taken than at stalingrad.
                            I am a bit biased because my great uncle fought right through the north african campaign firstly with the middle east commando and then the lrdg.
                            In fact he was evacuated from france in 1940, joined the commandos war on the lafoton raid. middle east, scicily, italy, back home, normandy where he got wounded and decorated, battle of the bulge( yes british troopr were involved ) wounded again, recovered and volunteered for service in burma.
                            He liked a fight.
                            He also said that they knew the germans could be beaten and that el alamein was the proof, i have never forgotten this.
                            Of course the Germans had already been beaten in front of Moscow, but your choice was a decisive battle in WWII terms.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X