Eight Most Decisive Battles of the Modern Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight Most Decisive Battles of the Modern Era

Behold, esteemed fellow forum members, the following announcement from Stratego (Jason):

Originally posted by Stratego

The die has been cast !!!!

After much weighing, pondering and discussing, these are ACG's most Decisive Battles of the Modern Era!!!!

From the initial 25 battles that have been mentioned, some have sadly been deleted (with much heartache !) and others, as suggested, have been added (with much glee !)...

Now choose the battles that YOU feel should continue to the top 32 ! Don't forget, we want 8 battles for this era...NO MORE AND NO LESS !!!!

And...choose wisely folks !!!!

The ACG Staff

Jason has put a lot of work into this idea, with a little input and assistance from other staff members (good onya, Jason). This is part 4 of the tournament, to whittle down the 25 shown here to the 8 most decisive in the 'Modern' Era. Vote for the 8 you think made the most difference (and plenty of room to discuss why, if you want to). How you voted will only be revealed if you want to talk about it, or you can keep your cards close to your chest, entirely as you wish!

Best to all,
    panther3485
    Trafalgar, 1805
    8.48%
    Austerlitz, 1805
    3.43%
    Borodino, 1812
    3.61%
    Boyaca, 1819
    0.54%
    Navarino, 1827
    0.36%
    San Jacinto, 1836
    2.53%
    Solferino, 1859
    0.90%
    Gettysburg, 1863
    8.84%
    Koniggratz, 1866
    1.26%
    Siege of Paris, 1870
    2.35%
    Isandlwana, 1879
    0.36%
    Colenso, 1899
    0.18%
    Tsushima, 1905
    4.15%
    Battle of The Marne, 1914
    5.78%
    Jutland, 1916
    2.17%
    Battle of Britain, 1940
    7.04%
    Attack on Pearl Harbor, 1941
    3.79%
    Midway, 1942
    8.48%
    Stalingrad, 1942
    11.01%
    Operation Overlord, 1944
    7.76%
    The Inchon Landing, 1950
    2.35%
    Dien Bien Phu, 1954
    3.79%
    Six-Day War, 1967
    3.97%
    Tet Offensive, 1968
    3.79%
    Yom Kippur War, 1973
    3.07%
    Last edited by Admiral; 18 Jul 08, 12:03.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Get after it, mates!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Interesting to observe that Siege of Paris 1870 sofar only got one vote while Battle of the Marne 1914 rightfully got votes from all till now.
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Personally I hope the siege of Paris gets a fair amount of votes...although not very well known...it was an important episode in history !!!!

Greets,
        Stratego
        Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

some good choices in this, pity i can't vote for more!
          "In Critical and baffling situations, it is always best to return to first principle and simple action." Sir Winston Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            some good choices in this, pity i can't vote for more!
            We faced a similar dilemma narrowing it down to 25 battles for each era. Some very hard choices had to be made.
            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Kursk should have been on it, and the Counter attack at Moscow.
              http://chickencrap.com/images/1472.jpg

Comment

There is no Battle of Waterloo!!!!
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Remember, we had to cover a lot more ground than just WW2; essentially two centuries worth of battles. Try getting a group of people together and narrowing it down to just 25. As it is, we still have five from WW2. Which one would be taken out to accommodate Kursk? I'm sure you might propose one but these decisions were not made by one person alone. The selections were presented to the whole forum staff and everyone who wanted to had their say. In any case, regardless of which 25 we ended up with, it was a safe bet that some members would not be totally happy with the selection. Nature of the beast, I guess.

Comment

Seems like Gettysburg and the WWII confrontations have a major lead !!!
                    I'm not suprised...
                    But will they manage to hold it?

I for one also voted for Gettysburg but for the WWII battles only Overlord and Stalingrad...

Greets,
                    Stratego
                    Last edited by Stratego; 19 Jul 08, 12:45.
                    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

IMO, Moscow 41' was more decisive than Stalingrad 42'. The Lundendorff Offensive could've been in there also.
                      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Excellent work guys. This will be good.

Comment

I just received a PM from one of members asking:

Why would I want to vote for the battle of Boyaca that resulted in a major victory for Simon Bolivar in 1819 ???

Well the answer is quite simple: Imagine yourselves a Spanish South America in the 19th century? Would the young U.S. still be able to keep himself out of European affairs with a Spanish neighbour to the south? Would the Spanish (on the other side of the world) been able to hold off the American army from invasion in the mid 1800's if it came to a war? I think not if the US was able to defeat British armies in the 18th century...
                          I believe that a conservative Spanish Empire in the America's would have kept the US on its guard throughout the 19th century and would have, sooner or later, led to a war that would have led to a considerably larger US...even if Spain would have been able to hold its colonies over there, I believe that the colonies would have tried to free itself from the Spanish yoke and...the US would have gotten involved somehow, leading to a larger US then we know now !!!!

Greets,
                          Stratego
                          Last edited by Stratego; 19 Jul 08, 18:35.

BORG

Comment

And I got a new PM...

Dear Jason,
                            Thank you for clearing up the batlle of Boyaca up for me, I will certainly vote on that battle, but tell me also why I should vote for the siege of Paris in 1870...

Well dear member,
                            The siege of Paris is important because it started a "hate" between France and Prussia that would last until well into the second half of the 20th century, after the capitulation France was to give Alsace-Lorraine to Germany, which left many Frenchmen embittered...this hatred would burn from the First World War well into the Second World War !
                            Secondly, it was during the Siege of Paris that Prussia and Germany officially became united under the German Empire !
                            Thirdly, the siege of Paris resulted in international dismay ! Many other European nations saw the useless prolonged siege as a useless demonstration of force by the Prussians that had already overrun France like a bulldozer in only two months resulting in the final battle at Sedan...they saw the hunger of the Parisians as useless murder...perhaps as barbarianism on the part of the Prussians ! Although the Prussians were critisized by the other European nations, Bismarck didn't care...the "new" German nation was proud to show its superiority at the world and to show that it wasn't the powerless, lousy military of the Napoleonic Wars !!!
                            Fourthly, the siege of Paris showed the German chauvinism it was to show during the WW's of the 20th century...and it made other European nations aware that the German Empire, was a nation to be careful with...a nation to keep an eye on !!!!

Greets,
                            Stratego
                            Last edited by Stratego; 19 Jul 08, 18:35.

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                              IMO, Moscow 41' was more decisive than Stalingrad 42'. The Lundendorff Offensive could've been in there also.
                              Well, Moscow started the push back, but Stalingrad made it basically a one way road to Berlin. Maybe they should have been lumped as "WW2 Soviet counteroffensive," as that would also included Kursk.
                              http://chickencrap.com/images/1472.jpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X