Most Decisive Battles - Medieval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Decisive Battles - Medieval

The intent & purpose of this thread is to discuss, suggest, revise... come to general village consensus for the coming poll that will decide only 8 battles to advance to the (village chosen) Most Decisive Battle Campaign. It is not the purpose here to argue that which is 'BEST", but rather, that which is worthy to advance to the big smack down!

Decisive Battles:

Medieval Era
    Originally posted by Stratego

1. Battle of Tricamarum 533
    Led to Byzantine rule over entire Mediterranian !

2. Battle of Yarmouk 636
    First wave of Islamic conquest and loss of Middle East to the western world!

3. Battle of Nihawand 642
    Fall of Persian Empire and Islamic conquest East !

4. Siege of Constantinople 717-718
    Byzantium and Balkan saved from Muslim conquest !

5. Battle of Tours 732
    Western Europe saved from Islamic advance and birth of mighty Carolignian power !

6. Battle on the Lechveld 955
    Ends the advance of Magyar advance in Western Europe and birth of German identity !

7. Battle of Kleidon 1014
    Ended the 500 year old power struggle between the Bulgarian Empire and Byzantium !

8. Battle of Hastings 1066
    Led to the century old conflict between France and England from the 12th century on…

9. Battle of Manzikert 1071
    Byzantium loses Anitolian territory and Muslims advance further west ! Beginning of the end for Byzantium…

10. Fall of Jerusalem 1099
    Western world escapes from the Dark Ages !!!!

11. Battle of Hattin 1187
    Holy land conquered by Muslims wich would lead to another 5 “crusades”…

12. Battle of Jaffa 1192
    Last attempt to regain Holy land and example of growing strife between Catholic Church and monarchs of Europe…

13. Battle of Taraori 1192
    Leads to the Delhi Sultanate and first Muslim state in India…

14. Sack of Constantinople 1204
    Shows weakness of Byzantium + Crusades from the non are not more than pillagery and conquest + Birth of Venetian and Genuese supremacy in Mediterranian…

15. Battle of Leignitz 1241
    Near end of Western civilization !

16. Battle of Lake Peipus 1242
    Led to the final split between Christianity and Orthodoxy ! Russian nation becomes enstranged from the West !!!!

17. Battle of Ain Jainut 1260
    First decisive defeat of Mongols, thereby ending their conquests westward !

18. Battle on the Marchfeld 1278
    Habsburgs take control of Central Europe and birth of their dominant role over the continent till 1918…

19. Battle of Bannockburn 1314
    Scotland remains independent kingdom…

20. Battle of Crecy 1346
    Beginning of the end of Chivalry and shows importance of the longbow…

21. Battle of Sempach 1386
    Swiss independence is secured and Swiss are from then on much wanted mercenaries…

22. Battle of Tannenberg 1410
    Leads to Polish-Lithuanian superpower and end of Northern Crusades !!!!

23. Battle of Patay 1429
    First decisive French victory over the English on the battlefield in almost a century, beginning of end of English dominated France and birth of French nationalism !

24. Battle of Chatillon 1453
    First effective use of artillery on the field of battle + end of the 100 Years War + Begin of War of the Roses in England

25. Fall of Constantinople 1453
    Start of the Renaissance and Age of Exploration due to the fact that
    Muslims now control the “key” between East and West…
    In that this Campaign is - in fact - yours... the floor is now open, & the floor is now yours!

Lad & Lass alike...

Lets Git Er Done!

Many thanks to Stratego for developing these initial rosters!
    Last edited by Admiral; 05 Jul 08, 09:36. Reason: Y'ARR!
    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

A few of these I've never heard of and I'm vague on some others. I'm going to have to do a little studying up on some of these before I can make any comments.

Comment

These battles are not exclusive of any others that might come to light, mate...

That be the purpose, here!

Never let it be said that Stratego does not challenge the mind of those so intrigued - HAR!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Wow. Fire up Wikipedia for this one. Excellent.
        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

I love the Medieval Era and I've noticed there's a single hispanic battle in there.
          If the "Eastern Front" on the "crusades" was important, I think many times the "Western Front" has been forgoten.
          The Iberian Peninsula was home to 5 christian kingdoms and sometimes even more than that figure in the islamic side.
          There were many important battles faught in here.
          I've written once about Aljubarrota. In this battle, faught in 1385 Portugal saved it's independence from Castille and Leon. I wonder what the world would be like, if Portugal had in deed lost the independence and the descoveries never started.
          And what about the Battle of Navas de Tolosa? Would Spain ever exist if they hadn't one the combined christian armies hadn't won this one?
          Only two exemples to help people think outside the box. That been sais, I think this is a great list and it's a herculean job. Well done.
          All warfare is based on deception.
          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Dear fellow members...

Just my thought as I made up the lists...
            After the study I made, I believe every battle had a consequence to world history !
            I tried to include as many "eastern" as "western" battles as possible and tried to keep myself as neutral as possible...
            As for you Cap. Teancum...Rest assure friend...In the "Age of Gunpowder list" there are many "Spanish" battles because Spain had a Golden Age in that period
            (1492-1600)...
            I also was inclined to add an extra battle of the famous "Reconquista" other then the Fall of Granada 1492 (because everyone knows that battle), but I had to remain critical, thereby knowing that if I included one extra, I would have to leave another one out...
            This doesn't mean that the Reconquista wasn't as important...certainly not...but I HAD to make decisions (which weren't always PLEASURABLE !)...

I'm sure you all understand...

Oh yeah...by the way...If any of you feel that any of the battles listed are not "worthy" of being included, certainly make a suggestion for another one, but do tell us WHY !!!!!!!!

My list isn't automatically THE list....

Greets,
            Stratego
            Last edited by Stratego; 06 Jul 08, 08:58.
            Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Great list guys!

I would like to see at least one of these added to the fray, if you will.

The Viking age:

Raid on Lindisfarne 793 (start of the Viking Age http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age)

Battle of Stiklestad 1030 (End of the Norse Vikings, birth of Christian Norwayhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stiklestad)

Battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 (the real reason Harold lost to William, also end of Viking/Norwegian raids in Britain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge)

Battle of Largs 1263 (end of Norwegian raids into Scotland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Largs)

Any thoughts? Others?
              History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
              _________
              BoRG

Comment

3 more lists to come, mates...

Jason has certainly done a damned fine job - as is typical of his personal ambition & interest!

The significant point of this, & the coming 3 threads, is for each of you to second or provide your own lists of battles that might constitute 1 division of 8 battles that will compete among 32 for the Campaign Ribbon! We will poll out the coming results after discussion has refined the consensus gleaned here for the Medieval Division 8.

And remember, all...

The eyes of the magazine are upon you!
                Originally posted by Eric Weider - Publisher WHG/ACG
                We are doing "50 Battles that Changed the World" in ACG mag sometime in early 2009 and don't worry...Quebec/Plains of Abraham is right there.

So if you guys do this now you could influence the final list for the magazine as well.
                In that time is imperative... you have until 13 July to make your opinions known - lets MOVE!

As Stratego has so aptly said... Tell us WHY - on its own merits!

Y'ARR!

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Medieval

I admit that I have have maybe 1/50th the knowledge of Stratego and others on Medieval battles. Based on his quick synopsis here's eight for consideration.

Battle of Yarmouk 636
                  First wave of Islamic conquest and loss of Middle East to the western world!

Battle of Tours 732
                  Western Europe saved from Islamic advance and birth of mighty Carolignian power !

Battle of Hastings 1066
                  Led to the century old conflict between France and England from the 12th century on…

Battle of Leignitz 1241
                  Near end of Western civilization !

Battle of Ain Jainut 1260
                  First decisive defeat of Mongols, thereby ending their conquests westward !

Battle of Crecy 1346
                  Beginning of the end of Chivalry and shows importance of the longbow…

Battle of Chatillon 1453
                  First effective use of artillery on the field of battle + end of the 100 Years War + Begin of War of the Roses in England

Fall of Constantinople 1453
                  Start of the Renaissance and Age of Expl
                  oration due to the fact that Muslims now control the “key” between East and West…
                  God Save The Republic.

Comment

We need to look at Asia, the Mongols won a few in the march of conquest before they got to Europe, I'll weigh in on those later--and where's Alina when we need her?

Comment

Where would we put Lepanto? In the medievel era or gunpowder? This giant naval battle kept the Moslems out of the western Med and confined them to the east.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                        Where would we put Lepanto? In the medievel era or gunpowder? This giant naval battle kept the Moslems out of the western Med and confined them to the east.
                        For the sake of the tournament and the lists that he spent so much time on, Stratego place the gunpowder time bracket as 1453 to 1792. So I say gunpowder era it is.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Not a single Oriental battle?

Can I humbly suggest the battle of Dan-no-ura (1185), the climatic battle of the Genpei War that led to the creation of the first Shogunate under Minamoto no Yoshitsune.

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                            Not a single Oriental battle?
                            Well, I did make it to the Middle-East !!!!

To be honest...I only have two books on Oriental history in my personal library...
                            Make suggestions Fodder !!!!!

Greets,
                            Stratego
                            Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Way to put a guy on the spot!

Battle of Lake Poyang 1363:
                              Extended naval battle to break the Han seige of Nanchang that cemented the Ming faction as the main rebel group during the fall of the Yuan Dynasty, ushering in the renown Ming Dynasty

Battle of Bach Dang 1288:
                              Third time the Mongol forces of Kublia Khan were repelled by the Vietnamese, the only time an enemy held out three times. By carefully selecting their battleground, preparing submerged obstacles and ambush points and drawing in the Mongol supply fleet in by deception they completely destroyed it. The unsupplied Mongol army was forced to retreat and destroyed peacemeal.

Battle of Koan 1281:
                              Second attempt by Kublia Khan to invade Japan. Japanese successfully deny the Mongols Eastern Route force a beachhead, forcing them to retreat by infiltrating small boat loads of samuri into the invasion fleet at night in hit and run attacks.

The destruction of the combined Eastern and Southern Route forces by a kamakaze a month later marked the end of Mongol expansion.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X