• Show
Clear All

• Wayne Trovinger
    replied
    Napoleon, Who else!

Leave a comment:

• 06 Maestro
    replied
    Napolean was the grand master. Although Ceaser had some stunning victories, they don't compare with the comprhensive record of Nappy.

Leave a comment:

• 17poundr
    replied
    Cesar had a legacy of over four centuries, and he controlled much more of the worlds population percentage wize in his time. So he is no 1 for me.

Besides, all European emperors tried to emulate him afterwards, he was THE European emperor, others were just imitators...

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Opperman
    replied
    Gota say Napolean for me!

Leave a comment:

• Redleg155
    replied
    Not sure that I agree with you on the Sherman part... but the rest I'll go with...

Leave a comment:

• skaloc
    replied
    Got to give it to Nappy (even though the French bite!!--- well, he is Corsican). Julius made a tough commander that challenged you to victory but he was not onwe to trust subordinates. Napoleon picked great personalities and controlled them as needed (fluid movement, concentration of forces, timing of attack). The only General that I see that could defeat them is the man, WT SHERMAN !!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sign&Print Name
    replied
    Ave Imperator!

Leave a comment:

• Pirate-Drakk
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardS View Post
    Sorry; I rolled a 0 on a D30. Napoleon caught a STD from his horse and died. Caesar is the winner.

Wasn't his horse called, the Boney Pony?

Leave a comment:

• General Staff
    replied
    Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
    I also voted for Old Boney, but let's give G Julius Caesar his due. Pompeii Magnus was a worthy opponent.
    I disagree. IMO the difference lay in the legions themselves, partly place of origin, partly place of disposition. Caesar's seem to have been more Northern Italy, Pompey's the traditional recruits from sub Etruria et al.

Then there's battle experience. Caesar's 'lads' had suffered the indignity- if that's the right word- of naked lads hurling themselves both at and over their shield wall. Now that should tighten anyone's sphincter muscles. Not to mention being force-marched around and to the edges of the known world. Or with the confidence of knowing you've met the worst the Barbarians can throw at you and beaten them soundly.

As a General Pompey was probably as good as it got then, maybe the equal of Caesar. But his troops IMO weren't the equals of Caesar, who from all the evidence was a commander who motivated his men well- speeches aside, all those slaves, all that money.

Leave a comment:

• guthrieba
    replied
    Originally posted by General Staff View Post
    Sorry Brian- only saw your message today.

I'd have voted for Napoleon. Caesar 'inherited' the best fighting machine in the world and used it brilliantly, but I don't think the opposition was that great (Gauls, Britons, Pompey, Egypt). The dalliance with Cleo I never though too swift an idea either- could have had better things to do.

Napoleon, as well as being a master on the battlefield, also revolutionized the Civil Service in France and the bureaucracy that helped field/fund his armies.
    I also voted for Old Boney, but let's give G Julius Caesar his due. Pompeii Magnus was a worthy opponent.

Leave a comment:

• The Purist
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardS
    Sorry; I rolled a 0 on a D30. Napoleon caught a STD from his horse and died. Caesar is the winner
    Yeeeeeee-Haaaaawwwww!!!

Napoleon bites the big one after be debauched by his pony!!!

Caesar is the champ!!!!

Leave a comment:

• No_Nickname
    replied
    Originally posted by CyberRanger View Post
    From above the poll:
    Oh that's were the deadline was.

Leave a comment:

• General Staff
    replied
    Sorry Brian- only saw your message today.

I'd have voted for Napoleon. Caesar 'inherited' the best fighting machine in the world and used it brilliantly, but I don't think the opposition was that great (Gauls, Britons, Pompey, Egypt). The dalliance with Cleo I never though too swift an idea either- could have had better things to do.

Napoleon, as well as being a master on the battlefield, also revolutionized the Civil Service in France and the bureaucracy that helped field/fund his armies.

Leave a comment:

• Alexander
    replied
    I voted for Bony, so it looks like I won.

Btw, where did Lee go? I think that he ought to be given another chance at this . . .

Leave a comment:

• Cap. Teancum
    replied
    Originally posted by CyberRanger View Post
    Yes, Napoleon is the victor! Thanks to everyone who voted. I hope you enjoyed the debates as much as I did. Soon, everyone who voted in the final thread will be awarded a medal!
    I want mine to be a Medal of Honor. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X