MO Semi-Finals: Alexander vs. Napoleon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MO Semi-Finals: Alexander vs. Napoleon

A battle of the titans of their respective eras - step up and vote who you think should make it to the finals!
    Alexander
    47.37%
    Napoleon
    52.63%

The poll is expired.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Tough battle here. I'm going to watch & see what the respective sides say.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

The repeated brillance of Napoleon on all levels of warfare, combined with his lasting legacy on Europe and the US, sends my vote to him.

Comment

After carefully weighing the opponents, i went with Napoleon.
        http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

This is a tuff one. Both were true emperors, both didn't know when to quit, both failed to assure a way for their achievements to outlive them.
          Alexander faced the Indian monsoon, Napoleon faced general winter in Russia.
          The main diference, Napoleon died as a prisioner after loosing at Waterloo, Alexander died of "natural" causes without being defeated and planying on taking western Europe.
          On the other end, Napoleon did wrote the Civil Code, which is still so important in our western civilization. Plus, he laid ground for Italy's and Germany's unification.
          Since I'm the CO of Napoleonic Era, that will be the tie-bracker on this one.
          Napoleon gets my vote.
          All warfare is based on deception.
          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

It has to be Alexander -
            He defeated all comers, regardless of the odds. He fought widely different enemies had had to adapt his armies and his tactics accordingly.
            As for legacy, the last of the Successor states didn't fall for nearly 300 years; most of the middles east spoke Greek until the Arab invasions over 900 years after his death; his style of fighting was still in use 150 years after his death.

Against this Napoleon ended up defeated and exiled to a rock in the South Atlantic.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

I'm not voting for a half-naked, half-educated, bisexual barbarian in no way shape or form!

Napoleon. While just as meglomaniacal as Alexander, he didn't do the wholesale sack of cities that the Macedonian 'thug' did. Hard choice for me actually since I have spent this whole tournament campaigning for LOSERS!
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                I'm not voting for a half-naked, half-educated, bisexual barbarian in no way shape or form!
                It's either that or a Frenchman! This is going to be a toughy!!

BTW, that was a joke!!!
                Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by CyberRanger View Post
                  The repeated brillance of Napoleon on all levels of warfare, combined with his lasting legacy on Europe and the US, sends my vote to him.
                  Napoleon.

On the plus side, he sold us (the US) a large chunk of real estate, when he needed funds for his wars in Europe and realized that it merely overextended his empire. Extra points for selling something that didn't really belong to him, or his country. About a half a million people in several dozen indigenous tribes had somewhat a better claim on it, than the country of France.

On the minus side, said chunk of real estate included New Orleans, and Kansas!

On second thought, Kansas alone argues for Alexander. Alexander it is!
                  I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Ps.

I'm utterly convinced that the only thing that prevents the entire state of Kansas from getting sucked into the eighth level of Hell, is the stabilizing presence of Admiral Wes. The residents there better hope he never moves out...
                    I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Alexander went out much better than Napoleon!

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                        Alexander went out much better than Napoleon!
                        Killed by his own men with an empire set to crumble?

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                          A little of urban legend there, no? Alexander's death is still unknown, however all that I've read about it points to "natural" causes, such as malaraia, West Nile virus, typhoid, viral encephalitis or consequences of heavy drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                            At least it didn't crumble until after Alexander's death - Napoleon's crumbled in 1814, some time before his death.

I can't believe so many people are voting for a loser - obviously the French are good at properganda.
                            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                              I can't believe so many people are voting for a loser - obviously the French are good at properganda.
                              No need for cheap blows.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X