MO Round 3: Napoleon vs. Sun Tzu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MO Round 3: Napoleon vs. Sun Tzu

Will the master of theory beat out the master of practical conquest?

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Napoléon Bonaparte (born Napoleone di Buonaparte) (15 August 1769 – 5 May 1821) was a general during the French Revolution, the ruler of France as First Consul (Premier Consul) of the French Republic from 11 November 1799 to 18 May 1804, Emperor of the French (Empereur des Français) under the name Napoléon I (Napoléon 1er) from 18 May 1804 to 6 April 1814, and was briefly restored as Emperor from 20 March to 22 June 1815. He was also King of Italy, Mediator of the Swiss Confederation and Protector of the Confederation of the Rhine.

Sun Tzu (c. 544 – 496 BC) was a Chinese author of The Art of War, an immensely influential ancient Chinese book on military strategy. He is also one of the earliest realists in international relations theory. The name Sun Tzu ("Master Sun") is an honorific title bestowed upon Sun Wu, the author's name. The character wu, meaning "military", is the same as the character in wu shu, or martial art. Sun Wu also has a courtesy name, Chang Qing.
    Sun Tzu
    29.87%
    Napoleon
    70.13%

The poll is expired.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

This was a hard one for me as I've voted for this two in the early rounds. This time Sun Tzu will go home. His theory is no match to Napoleon military genious in the field.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
      This was a hard one for me as I've voted for this two in the early rounds. This time Sun Tzu will go home. His theory is no match to Napoleon military genious in the field.
      I gotta agree with this, Mr Tzu got my vote to date but now I must vote for the Corsican.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I was set to concede to Napoleon this round, and even had virtually finished typing the reply, when it dawned on me...the reason Napoleon failed, wasn't due to a lack of tactical, or operational brilliance. No, he certainly had those aspects of warfare clearly mastered. However, he did fail, and why he did, was that he never mastered the strategic and political aspects of war. It may seem that he did come very close, with some of the political maneuvering that went on in those turbulent two decades, but ultimately he did fail by overreaching in ways that the simple lessons of the master, Sun Tzu, would have forwarned about...had he taken the lessons to mind.

So...in spite of what I feel will be supporting a losing side, I still have to go with Sun Tzu.
        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
          I gotta agree with this, Mr Tzu got my vote to date but now I must vote for the Corsican.

Dr. S.
          And I bet it must costs you eh Doc?

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
            And I bet it must costs you eh Doc?
            You've no idea how much pain I am in...I had to disable my robotic arm to add the vote (it's programmed to kill me if I show any sign of weakness).

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Napoleon. Got to be against Sun, he shouldn't even have gotten this far, so now he gets his comeuppence.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                Napoleon. Got to be against Sun, he shouldn't even have gotten this far, so now he gets his comeuppence.

What are you guys talking about so full of crap, every one know that Napoleon is a decent brandy, give me a half pint and I'll vote for it.
                Give me a full pint, I'll vote for anybody.

HP
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                  What are you guys talking about so full of crap, every one know that Napoleon is a decent brandy, give me a half pint and I'll vote for it.
                  Give me a full pint, I'll vote for anybody.

HP
                  Done! You ever get back Ohio way and I'll buy you a whole six-pack of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. Awesome stuff!
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I'll finally vote for Bony here.

Comment

Practical experience over theory again. Napoleon!

Comment

Long Live the Emperor!! Not only was Napoleon a great tactical and strategic general but he also developed theories on warfare that are studied today. Sorry Sun Tzu, but you're going home this round.
                        There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Napoleon of course.
                          yeah!

Comment

Alons enfants de la patrie ! Le jour de gloire est arrivée...
                            Go Napoleon, Go !!!!
                            Run Tzu, RUN !!!!

Greets,
                            Stratego
                            Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X