This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Offensive Tournament Rules / Announcements

Welcome to Armchair Attacks! We watch movies and read about war and warfare, we play games dealing with strategy and tactics, and we chat on the forums about all of the above. It's now time to take the next step, put on the boxing gloves, and participate in an entirely different sort of battle...

The March Offensive

Our first tournament, March Offensive, is a single elimination tournament, with a starting field of 32 generals and leaders of men throughout history. It is up to you to cast your vote to help your man proceed to the next round. The rules are simple - votes = victory. Vote for the leader whom you believe was the better of two at their brand of warfare. Which was the best general? Did this Admiral command his ships better than his competitor commanded his infantry? Was this ancient general a better tactician than his contemporary opponent? Who would you rather have leading YOUR military?

At the end of each round, votes will be tallied, and the man with the most votes proceeds. BUT WAIT! This is warfare - and as we all know anything can happen once the lead starts flying (a general is shot off his horse by a lucky shot, the HQ is accidentally bombed by its own air force, or a disease strikes down a mighty general at the worst possible time). At the end of each round, the judges will roll a virtual set of dice - which may result in the downfall of the projected winner - sending his opponent into the next round! Think of this as snatching victory from the gaping jaws of defeat!

Over the next week or two [it is just a coincidence that March Madness is going on at the same time ] we will be announcing new rounds of combat, and you can vote for your picks in each subsequent round. Watch as your hero fights his way to the final victory. At the end, only one will survive the March Offensive!

Scores and Schedule are here.

You must first sign up with the Armchair General community (free registration) before you can vote for your favorite generals. Sign up here!
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

There may be competitions where I will vote at once. On the other hand in at the armchair general site there is always the possibility that someone might influence me, or I might influnce others. A vote deadline time to put a limit on discussion is important. And some of these leaders are being unfairly hurt by a short session starting in March as opposed to leaders competing in other months. Now where's that smiley with the briefcase when you need him?

Seriously, a vote deadline, which I may have overlooked is important. The rest of the post... well I just couldn't resist.

PSS: Most of this will be snap vote. I think we should still expliot this great idea you fellows have had. The debate, salesmanship, and LEARNING potentials of this idea are huge. This can only be impeded by an uncertain closing time. I actually think you would be better served by not allowing votes until the end of a certain period of discussion followed by a voting period.
    Last edited by Widow Maker; 16 Mar 07, 06:59.
    "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
    Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Thanks Widow. If you look in the first post, there is a link to scores and schedules near the bottom. When you go to that page, the times for each round are listed in the black bar near the top. I do need to clarify the last 2 rounds, as there will be voting in between the days listed (eg. the final round lasts from April 1-3, and possibly later).

The nature of the internet precludes us from having short voting periods right at the end - which is why we need to keep voting open for all, for the whole length of each round.

Comment

Great thread! This should be alot of fun.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Some were 'easy', others... it took a bit of thought to weigh who was better at what they did than the other person.
          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
            Great thread! This should be alot of fun.
            Exactly my thoughts on the matter revans!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who passed on suggestions on how to make this better. Our Idea-O-Matic 6500 is last year's model, and as such can be a bit touchy when churning out the goods. The ideas we implemented in this competition may not be perfect yet, but we'll get there.

The most common questions;

Why didn't you pair up the Admirals to square off against each other? -- All pairings were randomly drawn.
              Why isn't X in the list, he is way better of a general than Y. -- There are 3 reasons generally speaking. 1, is that we only had 32 slots, so obviously we couldn't get all the top guys. 2. The second is that we didn't want to overload too many from the same war 3. There is a pattern to most of those we picked, if you can find it.
              General Z is losing, so this a popularity contest more than a serious study of their exploits. -- This is a bit tricky, but we had to keep it simple, so that anyone could participate...so yes, if someone likes one guy's hat better than the other he can vote for him. However, the trailing discussion on each matchup is intended to help sway voters to the "better" general.
              I have an idea how to make this better! -- Contact a staff member

Comment

Hopefully next year we can do a true March Madness and go 64 times. That would be hard to track though! Nobody would be able to keep track of all their votes. Anyway, this is a good one and I can't wait for round 2.
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

What really is needed is loser brackets. Pair up the losers from each round to do a final order. Just my .0002 cents and worth 1/1000000 what you paid for it.
                  Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

The polls will be closing soon! Get your vote in now if you haven't yet! And remember, the fog of war could randomly and suddenly turn a fight.

Comment

Round 2 begins today. Voting begins tomorrow (to give people a chance to digest the results, and plan the next round).

Comment

Originally posted by CyberRanger View Post
                        The polls will be closing soon! Get your vote in now if you haven't yet! And remember, the fog of war could randomly and suddenly turn a fight.
                        The gods of war intervened in three fights!
                        1. A late battle stroke of brilliance earns Schwarzkopf 20 bonus votes!!!! But, Grant still doggedly moves forward.
                        2. With a slim victory in hand, Bradley is slain by a stray bullet. MacArthur moves forward.
                        3. Napoleon gets a special benefit in Round 2 whereby he will be allowed to trade places with one opponent, so that he may in effect choose his opponent in Round 2 - giving him the most favorable chance to proceed to Round 3. Napoleon switched with Lee! So, Lee will be fighting Jackson and Napoleon fighting Mao!!

Match Summaries!

Comment

The polls have opened for Round 2! Cast YOUR votes!

Comment

Maybe next year the brackets and opponents can face some of the same time period. Like ancient times and middle ages and then modern for brackets. Then have the winners face off from the diffrent brackets. Just an idea.

Also possibly like aircraft against each other or tanks or other weapons.
                            "All Glory is Fleeting"

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                              What really is needed is loser brackets. Pair up the losers from each round to do a final order. Just my .0002 cents and worth 1/1000000 what you paid for it.
                              Like it!!.

To allow proper discussion of the "winner" bracket" the loser could be run afterward instead of concurrently
                              "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
                              Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X