March Offensive Round 1: Ike vs. Yamamoto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Offensive Round 1: Ike vs. Yamamoto

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Dwight David Eisenhower (born David Dwight Eisenhower, October 14, 1890 - March 28, 1969), nicknamed "Ike," was an American soldier and politician, who served as the thirty-fourth President of the United States (1953-1961). During World War II, he served as Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in Europe, with responsibility for planning and supervising the successful invasion of France and Germany in 1944-45. In 1951 he became the first supreme commander of NATO.[1] As a Republican, he was elected the 34th U.S. President, serving for two terms. As President he ended the Korean War, kept up the pressure on the Soviet Union during the Cold War, made nuclear weapons a higher defense priority, launched the Space Race, enlarged the Social Security program, and began the Interstate Highway System.

Isoroku Yamamoto (4 April 1884 – 18 April 1943) was a Fleet Admiral and Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War II, graduate of Imperial Japanese Naval Academy and alumnus of the U.S. Naval War College and Harvard University (1919 - 1921). Yamamoto is considered to be one of Imperial Japanese Navy's most able admirals and is highly respected in Japan. In the United States he is widely regarded as a clever, intelligent and dangerous opponent who resisted going to war, but once the decision was made did his utmost for his country. However, some American survivors of the war maintain their condemnation of him for the surprise character of the attack on Pearl Harbor. He died during an inspection tour of forward positions in the Solomon Islands when his transport aircraft was ambushed by American P-38 Lightning fighter planes. He held several important posts in the Imperial Japanese Navy, and undertook many of its changes and reorganizations. His death was a major blow to Japanese military morale during World War II.
    Ike
    64.75%
    Yamamoto
    35.25%
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Did Ike ever hear a shot fired in anger? I admire him but more politician than soldier. Yamamoto all the way. A fighting admiral.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I got to agree with Revans about Ike vs. Yamamoto, but Ike held the Allies together in the west. Yamamoto did what he promised. He gave the US hell for 6 months. But Ike won the war. Ike gets the vote.
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Another coin toss here.
        Yamamoto gets it.
        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

I would give it to Yamamoto for a short-term gain, but Ike gets the long-pass for the touchdown. Both had the pulse of the job, but... well... Ike didn't get sacked before half-time and had some star players that made his job difficult. With this pairing, I go with Ike... another paired with Ike... he might not make the vote.
          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Allez Ike allez!!!
            All warfare is based on deception.
            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
              Did Ike ever hear a shot fired in anger? I admire him but more politician than soldier. Yamamoto all the way. A fighting admiral.

My thoughts as well. Happy St. Patty's Day!

Comment

Yamamoto. He was an excellent commander who got screwed by the fact that his government wouldn't listen to him.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                  I got to agree with Revans about Ike vs. Yamamoto, but Ike held the Allies together in the west. Yamamoto did what he promised. He gave the US hell for 6 months. But Ike won the war. Ike gets the vote.

Just a question? Did Yamamoto ever hear a shot fired??

HP
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                    Just a question? Did Yamamoto ever hear a shot fired??

HP
                    Sure did. He lost part of his finger at Tsushima.
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      Sure did. He lost part of his finger at Tsushima.

Thanks.

HP
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Ike heard plenty of shots during WWII fired in anger. And just because you were groomed as a Staff Officer your whole career doesnt mean your any less of a General than one who has come up through the Fighting ranks. Look at all the German Staff Officers who made excellent Generals during WWII. There are so many im not even going to bother to try and list them.
                        http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Don't underestimate Ike...he had the feel for combat as well as being a superb puppet master who kept some of the strongest personalities ever assembled pulling in the same direction (most of the time).

When the Germans launched the Ardennes Offensive Bradley did not react vigorously telling Ike it is just a spoiling attack. Ike responded "That's no spoiling attack!"

He temporarily relieved Bradley of his commmand giving Monty most of Bradley's troops through the end of the Battle of the Bulge and he ordered Patton to make a hard left and head north to join the fight.

Patton to his credit had aniticpated these orders and had all his plans to head to the Ardennes worked out before he met with Ike.

A rear echelon administrator would not have the gut instinct to react like Ike did and in this potential moment of disaster he showed he was a solid combat commander.
                          Publisher
                          Armchair General Magazine
                          Weider History Group

Comment

All who "like Ike" will get to see him battle again!

Comment

I like IKE!
                              CPT T
                              Field Artillery
                              BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                              FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X