March Offensive Round 1: Franks vs. Hindenburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Offensive Round 1: Franks vs. Hindenburg

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

General Tommy Ray Franks KBE (born June 17, 1945 in Wynnewood, Oklahoma) is a retired General in the United States Army, previously serving as the Commanding General of United States Central Command, overseeing United States Armed Forces operations in a 25-country region, including the Middle East. Franks succeeded General Anthony Zinni to this position on July 6, 2000 and served until his retirement on July 7, 2003.

Paul Ludwig Hans Anton von Beneckendorff und von Hindenburg, known universally as Paul von Hindenburg (2 October 1847 – 2 August 1934) was a German field marshal and statesman. Hindenburg enjoyed a long if undistinguished career in the Prussian army, eventually retiring in 1913. He was recalled at the outbreak of the First World War, and first came to national attention, at the age of sixty-six, as the victor at the Tannenberg. Over the next four years he and his chief of staff, Erich Ludendorff, rose in the German public's esteem until Hindenburg came to eclipse the Kaiser himself. Hindenburg retired again in 1919, but returned to public life one more time in 1925 as the second President of Germany, and the last president before the Third Reich period.
    Franks
    32.48%
    Hindenburg
    67.52%
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Had to vote for my old battalion CO in Germany!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Maybe Ludendorff instead of Hindenburg?

I see the results, and am quite puzzled. Old Paul really didn't do all that hot in the field. Franks oversaw one of the most successful invasions in military history.

Comment

Tough call. Both had some trouble. Hindenberg was outsmarted by the Nazis. Franks with post-invasion mistakes in Iraq. Perhaps a bit unfair to both, since they were less politicians than soldiers, but it happened on their watches. Going to flip a coin on this one...heads, for Hindenberg. Tails, for Tommy.
        Tails. Franks wins.
        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

I suppose I could vote neither... I'm just not getting any warm fuzzies to push one to next round. Neither really calls to me as great enough to make the cut, but I'm a little more inclined to give an extra nod to the grand strategist.
          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Franks hand down. I honestly don't see the large vote total for Hindenberg except perhaps for 'name' and 'not American' value. Hindenberg was a 'one trick pony'. He was great on defense, but Tannenberg was as much a Russian self-defeat as a German victory.
            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I've never heard of Franks before, so guess who I voted for?
              All warfare is based on deception.
              Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Hindenburg did a great job at showing little imagination and getting a lot of guys killed.

How can you not vote for Franks on this one?

Comment

Tannenberg=Hindenburg, all but destoryed the Russian Army aligned against the German Army under his command. Franks did?????????????????So he sent a US Army Div and a Marine Div to Baghdad against ?????????? an army that had been destoryed in 1991 and not rebuilt. Get real. BMFD.

HF
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                    Tannenberg=Hindenburg, all but destoryed the Russian Army aligned against the German Army under his command. Franks did?????????????????So he sent a US Army Div and a Marine Div to Baghdad against ?????????? an army that had been destoryed in 1991 and not rebuilt. Get real. BMFD.
                    Tannenberg was where the Russian Army destroyed itself as much as if not more than anything the Germans did. But Franks gets kudos for not only what he did in OIF, but 1st Gulf War and before.
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      Tannenberg was where the Russian Army destroyed itself as much as if not more than anything the Germans did. But Franks gets kudos for not only what he did in OIF, but 1st Gulf War and before.
                      Actually as far as Tannenburg goes, the troop dispositions had already been made by Hoffman to counter the Russian threat. All Hindenburg did(in reality, Ludendorff) was stay calm and follow through on the plan already in place.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Hindenburg was good, but Franks took a shot at being revolutionary, by taking blitzkrieg to the extreme of Hyperwar. When comparing 2 generals who from the surface tend to be equal, I vote for the one who at least tried to be revolutionary, instead of the one who stuck with the status quo.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by 19Echeaux View Post
                          Maybe Ludendorff instead of Hindenburg?

I see the results, and am quite puzzled. Old Paul really didn't do all that hot in the field. Franks oversaw one of the most successful invasions in military history.
                          Im afraid people are letting their personal feelings on the current Iraqi conflict cloud their judgement on their voting on this poll. At least thats what i belive is happening anyway.
                          http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Old School beats New School, sending H into the next Round!
                            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Tommy's Artillery - I like that... for that single, emotional reason, I'm going with the "American Soldier"...
                              CPT T
                              Field Artillery
                              BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                              FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X