March Offensive Round 1: Washington vs. Nimitz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Offensive Round 1: Washington vs. Nimitz

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

George Washington (February 22, 1732 – December 14, 1799)[1] led America's Continental Army to victory over Britain in the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), and was later elected the first president of the United States under the U.S. Constitution. He served two four-year terms from 1789 to 1797, winning reelection in 1792. Because of his central and critical role in the founding of the United States, Washington is referred to as father of the nation. His devotion to republicanism and civic virtue made him an exemplary figure among early American politicians.

Chester William Nimitz (February 24, 1885 – February 20, 1966) was the Commander in Chief of Pacific Forces for the United States and Allied forces during World War II. He was the United States' leading authority on submarines, as well as Chief of the Navy's Bureau of Navigation in 1939. He was his country's last surviving Fleet Admiral.
    Washington
    52.50%
    Nimitz
    47.50%
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Washington lost almost every battle but won the most important one-the last one! And thereby started a new country. Washington, hands down.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Sorry, never been much of a naval guy, unless they were on a feminine midriff. Washington of dirt out me mind on this one...
      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

I voted Nimitz, but comparing him to Washington is plain crazy. Nimitz took a shattered Pacific Fleet and rebuilt it into the greatest weapon the US had during WWII. Washington, for the record, did not lose every battle. Does Trenton ring a bell? Lexington?
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
          I voted Nimitz, but comparing him to Washington is plain crazy. Nimitz took a shattered Pacific Fleet and rebuilt it into the greatest weapon the US had during WWII. Washington, for the record, did not lose every battle. Does Trenton ring a bell? Lexington?
          I believe I said "almost". And Washington was nowhere near Lexington or Concord for that matter. He was at Mt. Vernon waiting for the call to take charge.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Both went from being in a losing position (forces on paper) to winning in the end. Washington has it for hit and run to fight another day and keeping an eye on the long-term objective even if he did lose the short-term ones. Nimitz has it for rebuilding and (like Washington) using less, but generally winning against more. I'm biased for the big picture and had to give it to Washington on perseverence and overall accomplishment. Could the Revolution have been won with a lessor leader, maybe, but to lose, lose, lose and stay in the fight and win the last road... that says something to me. nimitz was dealt a poor starting hand but had all the cards in his favor and a stacked deck to draw from. He pulled off some good moves, but was the end result ever in doubt?
            If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

I went with Nimitz mostly because I like the guy. Despite his high rank and position he was still a common man.
              There was an anecdote in his biography about an enlisted man that talked his way into Nimitz’s office, then broke down and confessed that he did it on a bet with his friends. Rather then court martial the guy Nimitz called in a photographer to take their picture so that the guy could prove he got in to see him. That says a lot about the man to me.
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Putting Washington up against Nimitz is an interesting fight. Washington will always be one of America's greatest heros and Nimitz is without doubt an incredible leader.
                The close voting diference, does show me that Nimitz is really recon to be fantastic, but I still voted for Washington.
                All warfare is based on deception.
                Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

I always lean to Naval leaders, but even without that Nimitz was just plain outstanding! He's one of the few WWII Allied leaders that doesn't get criticized by someone everytime his name comes up. Great leader, great man!

Comment

Nimitz for me. Kind of what others said. I think Washington is gonna win though, I think he will get some votes for being 1st President and stuff too. I read about Nimitz a lot and I think he deserves another vote.
                    yeah!

Comment

One fought against a superior force and won. Few in history have pulled that off. Could any other American of the time accomplished what Washington did?

The other fought against an inferior force and won. Did we have more than one Admiral that could have done the job that Nimitz did, especially with Adm King backing him up?
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

An amazing thing about Nimitz is that he ran his 1st vessel aground - a career ender - but somehow managed to not be hindered much for it. An exceptional down to earth man he was. It should be noted though, that without Admiral EJ King above him, he would have been seriously hobbled, and MacArthur would have held the upper hand, which likely would have made the Pacific a much more bloody affair.

For me - career wise - Washington played many roles & did so in the fight sometimes.

Nimitz, not so much.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

This is close! Who will win?

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                            I believe I said "almost". And Washington was nowhere near Lexington or Concord for that matter. He was at Mt. Vernon waiting for the call to take charge.
                            Sorry; I meant Saratoga.
                            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                              Lexington?
                              Lexington was fought by Minutemen, not the American Continental Army. John Parker was in charge of the small group of 75(?).
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X