March Offensive Round 1: Patton vs. Lee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Offensive Round 1: Patton vs. Lee

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

George Smith Patton Jr. (November 11, 1885 – December 21, 1945) was a leading U.S. Army general in World War II in campaigns in North Africa, Sicily, France and Germany, 1943-45. In World War I he was a senior commander of the new tank corps and saw action in France. After the war he was an advocate of armored warfare but was reassigned to the cavalry. In World War II he commanded major units of North Africa, Sicily, and the European Theater of Operations. The popular image of "Old Blood and Guts", contrasts with the historians' image of a brilliant military leader whose record was also marred by insubordination and some periods of apparent instability.

Robert Edward Lee (January 19, 1807 – October 12, 1870) was a career U.S. Army officer and the most celebrated general of the Confederate forces during the American Civil War.
    Patton
    45.95%
    Lee
    54.05%
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

This is the first time I have seen these threads so I am not quite sure how responses are supposed to go, however: If in some alternate reality these two were to come face to face, I think Lee would delegate his control of the battlefield as uaual to his Corp Commanders, and while he was doing that Patton would take his force and shove it right up Lee's ...........

Make an interesting Sci-Fi read.

Comment

They are not facing each other across a field of battle. Was Patton a better or worse commander than Lee? Vote accordingly.

Or, you can vote based on which one you like better. There is really no science behind this.

I am shocked to some extent that Lee is getting beat silly by Patton.
      Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
        I am shocked to some extent that Lee is getting beat silly by Patton.
        I was just about to say the same thing.

Edit: Look at that, I just got demoted to 2LT.

Comment

Yeah, but you still got a cool Icon.

Comment

I went with Patton simply for the reason that while Lee was a great general, in my mind, it was ruined by the fact that he went back on his oath to the US.
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

73% for Patton???

Okay, this is ridiculous and I seriously doubt anyones knowledge and sanity who voted for Patton on this one.
              How can you even compare the two?
              Lee was the head of the Confederate Army, Patton never lead any large scale operation.
              I'm wasting my time here... just bloody insane.
              "We were never more free than under the German occupation!"

- Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka Rudel View Post
                73% for Patton??? ... just bloody insane.
                I agree .... it should be at least 95% for Patton!

Comment

73% for Patton???

Okay, this is ridiculous and I seriously doubt anyones knowledge and sanity who voted for Patton on this one.
                  Lee was the head of the Confederate Army, Patton never lead any large scale operation.
                  Patton had over 200,000 men in his command at any given time. Lee never led an army over 70,000.
                  Last edited by R. Evans; 16 Mar 07, 13:28.
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

73% for Patton???

Dude, what are you talking about? Patton led 3rd ARMY. Not 3rd Division or 3rd Corps. I really hope you are jesting!
                    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

I agree that Patton was a really cool figure in his own right and he was also a decisive general. He did not, however, fight with the odds Lee had to fight with. Lee was constantly outnumbered as the North had millions more than the South, as well as the North having a more well-oiled war machine being far more industrialized (for the time) than the agricultural South. Yet, until his massive blunder at Gettysburg, Lee fought a consistent fox-and-hound campaign of moving quickly and only engaging when numbers favored him or when he controlled the best ground and the enemy was forced to attack.

I think it comes down to this: do you prefer Patton's handling of battles i.e. the Battle of the Bulge, or Lee's handling of the logistics of wars as a whole?

Comment

I went with Lee because I feel that he operated better in his role of an army commander than Patton did. Lee was more cognitive of and did a better job of managing the political and social impact of his campaigns within the scope of the war as a whole. Both appear to have been brilliant field commanders, but the ability to work well within the political climate in which he commanded gives Lee the edge IMHO.
                        Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
                        Normandy 2007
                        ACW Border Wars 2008
                        Bulge 2008

Comment

Tough call. Two of my personal favorites. I really wish people wouldn't post who is winning at the polls in their thread postings, before I get a chance to dwell on it, though...
                          I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Just to clarify, obviously half the fun in exercises such as this, is to try to convince, persuade, cajole, and beat your forum buddies into supporting "your guy". However, to say that someone is leading by x% to y% ruins a lot of the excitement of diving in and voting BEFORE you know which way the current is flowing. That said, since Lee was often the underdog, and was so in this contest, I voted for him.
                            I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

"Patton never lead any large scale operation"

What a totally baseless statement. Has no basis in reality. 3rd Army was a LARGE SCALE operation in and of itself, even not considering its incredible combat record. His maneuvers in Sicilia were LARGE SCALE operations.

Do you even KNOW what a large scale operation IS?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X