No announcement yet.

March Offensive Round 1: Montgomery vs. Sun Tzu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one's an obvious pick. Monty wasn't incompentant as an officer but he was no strategist. This was the kind of guy you wanted on your staff managing something like logistics. He was a smart guy, just not a smart tactician. Sun Tzu can command in battle and was an excellent planner and organizer.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Lets see.... The father of millitary thought vrs one of the most overrated generals in human history, ask anyone, except an Englishman, they'll tell you the same thing. Another no brainer here.
      http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Originally posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
        Lets see.... The father of millitary thought vrs one of the most overrated generals in human history, ask anyone, except an Englishman, they'll tell you the same thing. Another no brainer here.
        I've been surprised by how many people have expressed this view point. Sun Tzu was a writer; Montgomery was a soldier. Did Sun Tzu ever command a single soldier or fight a single battle?

For me, this is like saying the best coach in the NBA would defeat a mid-tier pro player in a game of horse. Of course, he wouldn't. The player will defeat the theorist everytime. In my mind, that's the match up here. Could Sun Tzu have maintained his cool in the heat of battle, could he have inspired his men to fight, could he really command? We have no proof he could have or ever did. (Please, do correct me if I'm wrong!)

Comment

Also from Wikipedia. I don't profess to be an expert on Sun Tzu, although this makes me want to learn more.

Unlike most shi, who were traveling academics, Sun Tzu worked as a mercenary (similar to a modern military consultant). According to tradition, King HelŁ of Wu hired Sun Tzu as a general approximately 512 BC after finishing his military treatise, the Bing Fa (The Art of War). After his hiring, the kingdom of Wu, previously considered a semi-barbaric state, went on to become the most powerful state of the period by conquering Chu, one of the most powerful states in the Spring and Autumn Period. Sun Tzu suddenly disappeared when King Helu finally conquered Chu.
          Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

I know how touchy this is so I'm gonna say it and be done. Not really a fan of Monty to cautious and conservative. Sun Tzu the artist of war.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Monty earns a nice retirement!

Comment

Sun Tzu - hands down!!!
                CPT T
                Field Artillery
                BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

I'm a long time out of this I suppose but I think this paring was a bit unfair.

You put one of the most controversial Generals of the modern era who stirs incredibly strong feelings from his detractors and supporters against someone who is generally accepted to be one of the greatest military minds of all time.

Surely the winner was obviously going to be Sun Tzu.

When you have someone as polarizing as Monty involved you've got to give him someone equally as polarizing to run against just to give him a chance. That might be difficult to find however but pitting him against someone a bit more controversial than Sun Tzu would have made this a fairer contest.
                  Leadership is the capacity and will to rally men and women to a common purpose and the character which inspires confidence - Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
                    That's your view point of Monty which many disagree with including me..... and I'm not English
                    Monty was Prickly, overbearing and said what he thought but was a damned fine soldier and a leader of men who didn't throw his men's life away just to prove a point. Maybe this is why I dislike 'blood & guts' Patton but then that's my point of view
                    success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X