March Offensive Round 1: Julius Caesar vs. Scipio Africanus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Offensive Round 1: Julius Caesar vs. Scipio Africanus

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Gaius Julius Caesar, (July 12 or July 13, 100 BC – March 15, 44 BC), often simply referred to as Julius Caesar, was a Roman military and political leader and one of the most influential men in world history. He played a critical role in the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire. His conquest of Gaul extended the Roman world all the way to the Atlantic Ocean, and he was also responsible for the first Roman invasion of Britain in 55 BC.

Scipio Africanus
    Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus Major (Latin: P·CORNELIVS·P·F·L·N· SCIPIO·AFRICANVS&#185 (236–183 BC) was a general in the Second Punic War and statesman of the Roman Republic. He was best known for defeating Hannibal of Carthage, a feat that earned him the surname Africanus, the nickname the Roman Hannibal and recognition as one of the finest commanders in military history.
    Julius Caesar
    66.09%
    Scipio Africanus
    33.91%
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Caesar was a brilliant general. His tactics were revolutionary: he focused on the importance of training, his men marched far more quickly than any other and his used this mobility to win many battles, he was a brilliant engineer and circumvallator (that is, he mastered the technique of surrounding cities with walls and cutting off all supplies). He forced all of Gaul (modern-day France) into submission, as well as Egypt which was incredibly wealthy at the time, he used well trained German cavalry in small numbers to destroy larger cavalry forces who feared their size and reputation.
    The fact that he was also an inspired politician only adds to his strengths.

Scipio Africanus basically only won because Hannibal made a risk (crossing the Alps) and failed, losing his army and leaving Carthage undefended. Right man in the right place at the right time, but not brilliant.

Comment

Seriously now...have you ever heard of a Scipio Salad? An Orange Cornelius? The Cornelian Calendar?I don't even want to try and guess what to otherwise call our seventh Month! Julius gets this one.
      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

All Hail Caesar! Long term effect versus short-timer.
        If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

I expected this one to be a closer one, guess the fame of Caesar still wins battles.
          All warfare is based on deception.
          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Everyone is selling Cornelius Scipio Africanus (or C.S.A. amongst friends) short.
            Caesar was a good salesman and promoter - of himself, which is why he is ahead of the voting in 2007.

Think about this though, C.S.A. defeated an army that had rampaged over the Italian pen. for 14 years, and in general been a pain in the Roman Ass in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Punic Wars. The Carth. army had destroyed every thing Rome had put against it (Trasimene Lakes, Cannae). C.S.A. persuaded the Romans to keep fighting, replaced the roman short sword (gladius) with a spanish long sword and began to use the javelin (pilum) and abandoned the Roman maniple battle formation for a more flexible formation. He was responsible for a great deal of innovation. He drilled his men and turned the tide of the war against the Carthagenians. In addition he fought to preserve the Roman Republic not to create a dictatorship for himself as JC had done.

The senate confirmed the name Africanus upon him for his victory at Zama which finally ended the threat of Carthage. JC was never given such an honor.

SPQR

Comment

Julius Caesar's bid for world dominance continues!

Comment

I voted for Scipio.

Julius was a cold, calculating glory-seeker. Scipio, I don't know, but he did defeat Hannibal.

Comment

I voted for Scipio. He defeated Hannibal, oneof the best generals in military history. He developed the tactic that neutralized Hannibal's elephants.

Caesar defeated the Gauls who were usually less trained and less armored. A better politician than a general. Well maybe not since he was assassinated.
                  All war is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Comment

oops, you shouldn't have been able to vote this late! The poll has now been closed (should have been days ago!)

Comment

I just discovered this so I will join in on the polls in the future.
                      All war is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Comment

I realize this is late.... but my 2 cents... Ceasar "3-times"
                        CPT T
                        Field Artillery
                        BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                        FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Hail Caesar!

In my opinion, Julius Caesar was the greatest general Rome's ever had. His victories against the Gauls were phenomenal. His battle prowess and tactics were quite amazing. Scipio Africanus on the other hand, while also being a great tactician, only defeated Hannibal at the battle of Zama because he had time to analyze his strategies and ended up defeating him using one of Hannibal's own strategies!

Therefore, I think it's only logical that Julius Caesar would come out the victor in a match up between the two. He has experience, excellent strategies, and history on his side

Comment

I'd go with Caesar. His campaigns were more impressive overall versus equal armies most of the time.
                            First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X