Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Westerns FINAL: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly v. The Magnificent Seven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two cents worth...

OK Stratego...which are which? I'm sorry that I missed voting in the semi-finals but I was away from online and unable to post. I voted ulitmately for the Magnificent Seven which, as we all know, is an homage to the Kurosawa(?) film The Seven Samurai, a classic both in the Orient and here in the Occidental world. I wish that the final two were more apart cerebrally than the ones that were chosen, however. To choose one of these films over the other is merely a matter of taste as they are both equally compelling.
    I suppose the quality of the print makes a difference as well. The one rather polished cinematically and the other a gritty "true" depiction... well, that could have been the deciding factor, but no...it was merely my '50's expectation of how a western should "look".
    I hope we all had fun dissecting the various films offered as well as some that weren't. I know that I was intrigued.
    Is there some sort of reward for participating in this poll? Just being here on these forums and exchanging thought with ALL you folks is sometimes reward enough. Rave on!
    Regards, jose50 (Scourge of the Short Seacoast)

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
      The Good, the bad, and the ugly.
      Reminds me of the people that post here.
      Exactly!
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

so...is this poll closed, or is it still going..?

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post

I just voted anyway for GBU.
          SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
            I think it is still open. Pick one and see what happens.

Comment

Poll is closed. Thank you everyone who participated in this event. I think we have a clear winner here.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

I can almost hear the GB&U theme song going on right now.
                God Save The Republic.

Comment

OK...so NOW what?
                  ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd Rangers View Post
                    I can almost hear the GB&U theme song going on right now.
                    Originally posted by jose50 View Post
                    OK...so NOW what?
                    I guess we all have to whistle the theme until something happens...
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

Why whistle when you have Youtube?

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Ribbons for the Greatest Westerns Campaign have been awarded, thanks for your participation everyone!

PS: If you think you are entitled for this ribbon but haven't received it please let me know and I'll double check

Comment

I vote for G,B & the Ugly good movie with some funny lines also.

Comment

How anyone can consider a spaghetti western a great movie is a total joke. John Ford, Sam Peckinpah, or Howard Hawks would be laughing out loud at the lunacy. Movies like The Searchers/Red River/ Wild Bunch/ One Eyed Jacks/ Stagecoach/, let alone High Noon, Magnificent Seven, Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, Tombstone. Amazing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianBoru2485 View Post
                              How anyone can consider a spaghetti western a great movie is a total joke. John Ford, Sam Peckinpah, or Howard Hawks would be laughing out loud at the lunacy. Movies like The Searchers/Red River/ Wild Bunch/ One Eyed Jacks/ Stagecoach/, let alone High Noon, Magnificent Seven, Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, Tombstone. Amazing!!!
                              Probably because they were well received and really redefined westerns, which for so long had been sadly defined by actors like the Duke with banal plots and hilarious action. Even movies like The Magnificent Seven - utter classic - had to call upon foreign inspiration, itself being a western remake of a samurai film (Seven Samurai). It took these foreign influences to save westerns from themselves, helping them to evolve.

Comment

I guess Donald Trump had a point - the two greatest westerns are either a US remake of Japanese samurai movie or a movie made by an Italian, mostly shot in Spain and first released in Greece.

Both are from the 1960ies - I guess that is where things started to fall apart in the US

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X