Leave a comment:

• Biscuit
    replied
    Round 2 is now closed.

Round 3 should be ready soon.

Leave a comment:

• John Stryker
    replied
    Close call, but I had to go with Tombstone because of my fondness for the history of the era and Doc Holliday.

Leave a comment:

• cigar joe
    replied
    I voted Unforgiven, the hats the Earps wore in Tombstone looked a bit ridiculous, like they were right out of the hat box with no personal distinctions or wear or tear. It was as if somebody looked at Earp's photograph from when he was a city marshall and said that's the look we want for the film. The city police had hats simlar to the style of London bobbies and other police forces in the US at the time, except they hat slightly wider brims, those hats were obviously part of a uniform. That doesn't have to translate to what they may have worn around Tombstone.

In the film they end up looking like Hassidic Jews, lol, ridiculous.

Out of all the films about the Earps I would say that "Hour of The Gun" and "Wyatt Earp" look the best.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post

You guys are missing the boat on this one...Tombstone is the better and more impactful Western of these two...though not an easy choice.
    The William Munny character has alot of appeal to it..., classic western hero, the bad good-guy...

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post
    You guys are missing the boat on this one...Tombstone is the better and more impactful Western of these two...though not an easy choice.
    So many of you are in love with this film. Maybe I should actually watch the whole thing sometime?

(I've seen bits & pieces and didn't like what I saw)

Is it really worth it? I have a theory about films: When Hollywood chooses to release 2 films at the same time about the same subject (as in Tombstone & Wyatt Earp) it means (to me) that they will both be horrible. Somewhere along the way, it was one film, and got diverted. I think we discussed that in the previous round. How Costner and the screenwriters disagreed on direction and length. How Tombstone was born out of the disagreement. I have yet to see either film though, as the storyline just doesn't hold my interest. But then, I liked Hang 'em High , and look how well that turned out.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Weider
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    Tombstone is a great film,but I love the grittiness of Unforgiven.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Another very, very hard choice, but in the end as much as I love Tombstone, this huckleberry had to vote for Unforgiven

Leave a comment:

• steve park
    replied
    Unforgiven....now you understand misery and death and love and a lot more. One of Eastwood's finest.

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    The Wild West Stripped Bare

Unforgiven gets my vote as a peek at the reality behind the mythology.

"Well Sir, you just killed an unarmed man!"

"He should have armed himself."

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
    Maybe its time to watch Unforgiven again. I saw it once and it didn't do anything for me, but its beating one of my favorite movies, so....

A hollywood historical account of Tombstone
    Says it all for me.

Unforgiven and Clint/Rowdy Yates/Eastwood.

The series ran for eight seasons on the CBS network on Friday nights, from January 9, 1959 to January 4, 1966, with a total of 217 episodes, all filmed and broadcast in black and white. It was produced and sometimes directed by Charles Marquis Warren who also produced early episodes of Gunsmoke. Warren based Rawhide on the movie Cattle Empire that he directed in 1958

Leave a comment:

• Biscuit
    replied
    Maybe its time to watch Unforgiven again. I saw it once and it didn't do anything for me, but its beating one of my favorite movies, so....

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied
    Originally posted by Psyhcoward View Post
    Unforgiven
    Me too. Unforgiven is maybe one of my top five.
    (Westerns, that is)

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    This is the hardest choice yet.

Tombstone.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X