No announcement yet.

Greatest Westerns Round 2: Tombstone v. Unforgiven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tombstone is a great film,but I love the grittiness of Unforgiven.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

You guys are missing the boat on this one...Tombstone is the better and more impactful Western of these two...though not an easy choice.
      Publisher
      Armchair General Magazine
      Weider History Group

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post
        You guys are missing the boat on this one...Tombstone is the better and more impactful Western of these two...though not an easy choice.
        So many of you are in love with this film. Maybe I should actually watch the whole thing sometime?

(I've seen bits & pieces and didn't like what I saw)

Is it really worth it? I have a theory about films: When Hollywood chooses to release 2 films at the same time about the same subject (as in Tombstone & Wyatt Earp) it means (to me) that they will both be horrible. Somewhere along the way, it was one film, and got diverted. I think we discussed that in the previous round. How Costner and the screenwriters disagreed on direction and length. How Tombstone was born out of the disagreement. I have yet to see either film though, as the storyline just doesn't hold my interest. But then, I liked Hang 'em High , and look how well that turned out.
        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
        _________
        BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post

The William Munny character has alot of appeal to it..., classic western hero, the bad good-guy...
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I voted Unforgiven, the hats the Earps wore in Tombstone looked a bit ridiculous, like they were right out of the hat box with no personal distinctions or wear or tear. It was as if somebody looked at Earp's photograph from when he was a city marshall and said that's the look we want for the film. The city police had hats simlar to the style of London bobbies and other police forces in the US at the time, except they hat slightly wider brims, those hats were obviously part of a uniform. That doesn't have to translate to what they may have worn around Tombstone.

In the film they end up looking like Hassidic Jews, lol, ridiculous.

Out of all the films about the Earps I would say that "Hour of The Gun" and "Wyatt Earp" look the best.

Comment

Close call, but I had to go with Tombstone because of my fondness for the history of the era and Doc Holliday.
              "Perfect preparation prevents ****-poor performance."
              - Woody Hayes

Comment

Round 2 is now closed.

Round 3 should be ready soon.

Comment

Tombstone

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X