No announcement yet.

Greatest Westerns Round 2: The Outlaw Josey Wales v. The Last of the Mohicans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Last of the Mohicans. It may not be a true western,but considering the time frame it is set in,it is western enough for me.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
      An incredibly tough choice. I think that The Outlaw Josey Wales is possibly Eastwood's best film, both as an actor and as a director. I don't think that enough people in the film industry took Eastwood as seriously as they should have at this stage in his career. With that being said my pick is The Last of the Mohicans. I know some won't vote for it because they don't consider it a "western", but in 1757 this was as far west as even the fringe of European civilization. LotM combines a classic historically based story with great acting (has there ever been a better bad guy than portayed by Les Studi), a wonderful soundtrack and unsurpassed cinamatograhy (the Great Smokey Mountains as a fine substitute for 18th century New York). All that combined with some of the best close combat (ie, gunstock club) fight scenes every filmed and you have the winner.
      Last of the Mohicans was a brilliant movie...a great movie.

If we were rating the greatest Colonial Era movies...or greatest American Indian Nations movies...or historically based dramas...or most magnificent period settings...It would win hands down. It is an incredibly awesome movie...It's just not a western...
      Last edited by The Doctor; 13 Jan 09, 17:18.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
        Last of the Mohicans was a brilliant movie...a great movie.

If we were rating the greatest Colonial Era movies...or greatest American Indian Nations movies...or based historically based dramas...or most magnificent period setting...It would win hands down. It is an incredibly awesome movie...It's just not a western...
        Dave,

I'm just going with the choices that the magazine came up with (I mean they even thought Blood Simple was a western.) It looks like LotM isn't going to win anyway, so I'll probably be voting for Josey Wales in the next round...........
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Dave,

I'm just going with the choices that the magazine came up with (I mean they even thought Blood Simple was a western.) It looks like LotM isn't going to win anyway, so I'll probably be voting for Josey Wales in the next round...........
          Heck Lance...I voted for Bad Day at Black Rock in the first round...Maybe Wales will go up against Sierra Madre in Round 3...
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
            Just because the blogger at FilmCrave.com doesn't realize that the three movies listed aboive aren't westerns...doesn't make Last of the Mohicans a western.

Westerns take place in the west...Generally west of the Mississippi River during the American western expansion in the mid to late 1800's...and very early 1900's. The Pancho Villa expedition is sort of the end of the Western Era.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre takes place in Mexico in 1925...It's a great movie...But it's not a western.

Bad Day at Black Rock is a great movie...I think I even voted for it in the first round (maybe it was up against a Spaghetti Western )...It takes place in the west...But it takes place after World War II. It's not a western.

Northwest Passage was the best French and Indian Wars movie before Last of the Mohicans...But it's no more of a western than a movie about the Pilgrims or Jamestown or the Revolutionary war is a western...The French and Indian Wars pre-date the United States.

The Alamo probably isn't a western either...But it's much closer in geography and chronology to the American westward expansion of the mid to late 1800's than Last of the Mohicans, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, or Bad Day at Black Rock.
            Who says so? I've seen some sites that want to add in the likes of Grapes of Wrath. So what would you call a movie about Lewis and Clark? Just because John Wayne isn't in the movie doesn't mean it can't be a western, a good one at that. Using your line of the Mississippi then large parts of Louisiana and Arkansas should be considered the west along with Iowa and Minnesota. Hardly! The James gang was robbing banks as far east as WV and the Youngers as far as KY, so then using your owen definion of west and westerns neither of these two gangs should be considered. Or were these part time westerns?

JohnS
            Last edited by Half Pint John; 13 Jan 09, 18:16.

Comment

Quoting My Earlier Post

Give me one place where they talk about the Northwest Territory as the Wild West. Is Daniel Boone a cowboy now? Mad Anthony Wayne as Custer? Tecumseh as Crazy Horse?

The Wild West that westerns are based on took place west of the Mississippi. 99.9% of the time when someone says western, people think cowboys, cattle herds being driven across the plains and fast draw gunfights. I'm not saying you're wrong in that Mohicans didn't take place in the West of it's era, but that isn't what the majority of people think of when they think 'western movie'.

I love Last Of The Mohicans but it's not a western and I'll bet cash money that the director and actors who took part in it don't think of it as a western either. If this movie is a western then so is Drums Along The Mohawk. If we go by your criteria, then The Crucible (if made by British filmmakers) is a western also. And that's really stretching it.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                Give me one place where they talk about the Northwest Territory as the Wild West. Is Daniel Boone a cowboy now? Mad Anthony Wayne as Custer? Tecumseh as Crazy Horse?

The Wild West that westerns are based on took place west of the Mississippi. 99.9% of the time when someone says western, people think cowboys, cattle herds being driven across the plains and fast draw gunfights. I'm not saying you're wrong in that Mohicans didn't take place in the West of it's era, but that isn't what the majority of people think of when they think 'western movie'.

I love Last Of The Mohicans but it's not a western and I'll bet cash money that the director and actors who took part in it don't think of it as a western either. If this movie is a western then so is Drums Along The Mohawk. If we go by your criteria, then The Crucible (if made by British filmmakers) is a western also. And that's really stretching it.
                Your a Browns fan so your opinion is worthless

A. A. Milne (1882 - 1956)
                The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.

I loved Drums, havn't seen it in a couple of years. Need to talk with the German TV dudes, again.

How goes it Bob?

JohnS
                Last edited by Half Pint John; 13 Jan 09, 19:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.

I loved Drums, havn't seen it in a couple of years. Need to talk with the German TV dudes, again.

How goes it Bob?

JohnS
                  Quoting Winnie the Pooh?
                  History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

It was from a blog..........how does that make them a pro?
                    My bad. It looked remarkably similar to the 100 Greatest Westerns rankings in their special issue. I'll take a closer look when I get rid of my company for the week and see just how close they are. Once they are all chosen, that may be a fun chat to pit their favs against ours.

Comment

I'm with Lance on this. This really should go to Mohicans. Lance explained it perfect.
                      Publisher
                      Armchair General Magazine
                      Weider History Group

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post

How goes it Bob?

JohnS
                        It goes well Big J, it goes well.

Sorry, but I had to vote for Josey Wales although I don't even like the movie. Mohicans to me just isn't a western. We'll just have to disagree on this one.
                        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post
                          I'm with Lance on this. This really should go to Mohicans. Lance explained it perfect.
                          Thank you for the kind words.........
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Round 2 is now closed.

Round 3 should be ready soon.

Comment

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...