Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And then guess!

HAR!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
      99 times out of 100 a lot of advance notice is given. We just don't send MM a printed invite.
      I'm not surprised. I have been aware of being excluded from most forum affairs the involve the open membership for many years.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

So how do campaigns work? What do I have to do? I just have never been in a campaign before.
        In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
        - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
          So how do campaigns work? What do I have to do? I just have never been in a campaign before.
          The British routine in WW2 was AT LEAST six months active service which covered individual campaigns. I.E: France and Germany, (of course Belgium and Holland) but they were not included in the title,or Burma perhaps, or North Africa, or Italy, you name it! It did have to be coupled with the Active Service star as well. Before someone corrects me by saying something along the lines of 'Well my dad got one and he was a storeman' (or a cook) or whatever, if the mans service was done IN a war zone irrespective of his job he was entitled to both medals, lcm1
          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
            The British routine in WW2 was AT LEAST six months active service which covered individual campaigns. I.E: France and Germany, (of course Belgium and Holland) but they were not included in the title,or Burma perhaps, or North Africa, or Italy, you name it! It did have to be coupled with the Active Service star as well. Before someone corrects me by saying something along the lines of 'Well my dad got one and he was a storeman' (or a cook) or whatever, if the mans service was done IN a war zone irrespective of his job he was entitled to both medals, lcm1
            Now theres a point, my Grandad served in the RN in the Med and received the Africa Star with roset indicating service with the inshore squadron but despite having been involved in the action around Sicily and having served on a destroyer supporting the landings at Salerno he never received the Italy Star. I had forgotten about the 6 month rule. He was shipped out of the Med at some point to begin commando training in preparation for D-Day. Is it possible that he would have been withdrawn from the med before the beginning of '44 to start that training and as a result been ineligible for the campaign star?

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
              Now theres a point, my Grandad served in the RN in the Med and received the Africa Star with roset indicating service with the inshore squadron but despite having been involved in the action around Sicily and having served on a destroyer supporting the landings at Salerno he never received the Italy Star. I had forgotten about the 6 month rule. He was shipped out of the Med at some point to begin commando training in preparation for D-Day. Is it possible that he would have been withdrawn from the med before the beginning of '44 to start that training and as a result been ineligible for the campaign star?
              Hullo Steven,yes that is more than likely,I have heard others make similar comments relating to the six month rule, a man could serve in a particular war zone for five and a half months but lose out on the campaign medal because of being short by two weeks. I suppose they would say 'well you have to draw a line somewhere' but you could easily be killed in under six months,I wonder if it would still apply? Knowing how they think I expect so!! lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                We have your operative. We have the composite materials they were transporting...

You have 3 hours to supply us with 4 copies of Englebert Humperdink's Greatest hits... On Vinyl!

4 Front Row tickets to a Tom Jones concert... ( the same concert this time!)
                And a Pina Colada served in an Alligator skin cup... or you will never see your agent or the materials again!

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!....

love the wit my friend

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X